Ducks, Newburyport (2019)

by Lucy Ellmann

5862532,691 (4.14)7 / 107
Latticing one cherry pie after another, an Ohio housewife tries to bridge the gaps between reality and the torrent of meaningless info that is the United States of America. She worries about her children, her dead parents, African elephants, the bedroom rituals of 'happy couples', Weapons of Mass Destruction, and how to hatch an abandoned wood pigeon egg. Is there some trick to surviving survivalists? School shootings? Medical debts? Franks 'n' beans? A scorching indictment of America's barbarity, past and present, and a lament for the way we are sleepwalking into environmental disaster, Ducks, Newburyport is a heresy, a wonder - and a revolution in the novel.… (more)

the fact that I almost didn’t want this book to end, the fact that I needed to get back to my real life, the fact that it was convincing, engrossing, suspenseful, amusing, devastating, the fact that lone mountain lions have been spotted twice in Des Moines in recent years, the fact that I don’t think they were lionesses... ( )
  Bruyere_C | Dec 2, 2021 |
The fact that this thing is a doorstop, thick, brick, hard to hold open, took 5 months to finish, the fact that as you get further and further along you realize this woman doesn’t even know about Parkland because it hasn’t happened yet, let alone COVID-19, the fact that she doesn’t know about half of the terrible things Trump ended up doing as president, QAnon, insurrection, gun violence, the world actually got much worse, you wonder how many more pages would there be, the fact that despite the escalating horrors the social and cultural observations are precise and comprehensive, all of it there, up to the moment, spot-on, sickeningly accurate, deadly accurate, right on the money, the fact that the lurking danger, ominous threat, is brought home, arives up close and personal, the fact that there is bravery and heroism alongside the brutality, corruption, and ignorance, the fact that we’re all broken, the fact that this book feels inevitable, the fact that someone had to write this, it was necessary, the fact is that I loved Ducks, Newburyport. ( )
  Octavia78 | Nov 28, 2021 |
Amazing. ( )
  jaydenmccomiskie | Sep 27, 2021 |
Shortlisted for the Booker Prize 2019
  Paraguaytea | Sep 24, 2021 |
A singular, unique, and amazing work that shows a whole human being in the right now. ( )
  jtth | Aug 17, 2021 |
No country perhaps in the world is better watered with limpid streams and navigable rivers than the United States of America, and no people better deserve those advantages, or are calculated to make a proper use of them than her industrious and adventurous citizens.

Zadok Cramer
I represent a field you are passing between Grover's Corners, Ohio, and Parkersburg, Ohio. In this field there are 51 gophers, 206 field mice, 6 snakes and millions of bugs, insects, ants, and spiders. All in their winter sleep.

Thornton Wilder
For Bathsheba and Pepito
When you are all sinew, struggle and solitude, your young — being soft, plump, vulnerable — may remind you of prey.
if aliens come
they will never stop laughing
at our sci-fi movies
they will never let it drop

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,956,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible