The Institute by Stephen King

The Institute

by Stephen King

198391,048 (4.17)10

I thought for a long, long time before even rating this book. I am a die-hard Stephen King fan...read every word that he's ever written and he has written many...nearly 600 pages in this one alone. I liked it but I liked his scarier offerings more. I will have to say that it's not Stephen King at his best but it's far, far from the worst either. It is a book that I believe readers will really like or really not like. You might say that it's a "character study" between the people that think everything they do is for the good of others and those that will try to stop them. King has never had any difficulty going overboard off the beaten path into the realm of the unlikely... but for this one,you must just leave your disbelief at the door. I'm a big fan of King and a "not at all fan" of one of the guys he makes digs at...so I'll give him the 4.5 rating. ( )
1 vote Carol420 | Sep 16, 2019 |
This felt/read like earlier Stephen King and I enjoyed the absence of excessive profanity.
The only reason I didn’t give five stars is because there were things that I wanted explained that didn’t get explained. I felt like when the lisping man meets up with Tim, there was ample room for lengthier conversations such as more details about the other institutes and whether there was anyone left alive. I feel like there should have been. ( )
  JRlibrary | Sep 15, 2019 |
Got this book on Tuesday, I tried so hard to make it last, so I finished it today! This is an incredible book, even if you aren't a Stephen King fan, which I most definitely am, this is still a 5 star read! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Sep 12, 2019 |

Deep in the woods of Maine, there is a dark state facility where kids, abducted from across the United States, are incarcerated. In the Institute they are subjected to a series of tests and procedures meant to combine their exceptional gifts - telepathy, telekinesis - for concentrated effect. Luke Ellis is the latest recruit. He's just a regular 12-year-old, except he's not just smart, he's super-smart. And he has another gift which the Institute wants to use... Far away in a small town in South Carolina, former cop Tim Jamieson has taken a job working for the local sheriff. He's basically just walking the beat. But he's about to take on the biggest case of his career. Back in the Institute's downtrodden playground and corridors where posters advertise 'just another day in paradise', Luke, his friend Kalisha and the other kids are in no doubt that they are prisoners, not guests. And there is no hope of escape. But great events can turn on small hinges and Luke is about to team up with a new, even younger recruit, Avery Dixon, whose ability to read minds is off the scale. While the Institute may want to harness their powers for covert ends, the combined intelligence of Luke and Avery is beyond anything that even those who run the experiments - even the infamous Mrs Sigsby - suspect. Thrilling, suspenseful, heartbreaking, THE INSTITUTE is a stunning novel of childhood betrayed and hope regained. *This book is available here with four different endpaper designs. We are unable to accept requests for a specific endpaper. The different editions will be assigned to orders at random.*… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,085,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible