The Institute

by Stephen King

In the middle of the night, in a house on a quiet street in suburban Minneapolis, intruders silently murder Luke Ellis' parents and load him into a black SUV. The operation takes less than two minutes. Luke will wake up at The Institute, in a room that looks just like his own, except there's no window. And outside his door are other doors, behind which are other kids with special talents -- telekinesis and telepathy -- who got to this place the same way Luke did: Kalisha, Nick, George, Iris, and 10-year-old Avery Dixon. They are all in Front Half. Others, Luke learns, graduated to Back Half, "like the roach motel," Kalisha says. "You check in, but you don't check out." In this most sinister of institutions, the director, Mrs. Sigsby, and her staff are ruthlessly dedicated to extracting from these children the force of their extranormal gifts. There are no scruples here. If you go along, you get tokens for the vending machines. If you don't, punishment is brutal. As each new victim disappears to Back Half, Luke becomes more and more desperate to get out and get help. But no one has ever escaped from The Institute.… (more)

English (67)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (72)
A really good read that kept me interesting and tearing through the book the entire way. I think SK has gotten it back together again. His recent books are less meandering and tighter. Great story but would jve liked to know more about Tim. The ending was a little quick. With a better one it probably would have goten a 4.5. ( )
  JBreedlove | Sep 13, 2020 |
Really enjoyed this one. This one is Classic King and he sticks the landing. Good stuff! ( )
  wills2003 | Sep 3, 2020 |
Not sure where it was leading the first 75 pages, but then hard to put down. TP and TK kids kidnapped to institute in ME and tests run, one escapes and finds refuge from former cop in the first few chapters ( )
  Smcgovern | Sep 1, 2020 |
4.5/5 stars
  Lisa_Francine | Aug 5, 2020 |
I've been on a King run of late, I admit, but this was the one I appreciated the most. A spiritual successor to books like Firestarter, and a reminder that sometimes King really knocks it out of the park and past the parking lot. ( )
  kodermike | Jul 31, 2020 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briasco, LucaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And Samson called unto the Lord, and said, O Lord God, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines...

And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars upon which the house stood, and on which it was borne up, of the one with his right hand, and of the other with his left. And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lord, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life. --Judges, Chapter 16
But whoso shall offend one of these little ones... it were better for him that a millstone were handed about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. --Matthew, Chapter 18
For my grandsons: Ethan, Aidan, and Ryan
Half an hour after Tim Jamieson's Delta flight was scheduled to leave Tampa for the bright lights and tall buildings of New York, it was still parked at the gate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,765,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible