The Institute: A Novel by Stephen King

The Institute: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Stephen King (Author)

In the middle of the night, in a house on a quiet street in suburban Minneapolis, intruders silently murder Luke Ellis' parents and load him into a black SUV. The operation takes less than two minutes. Luke will wake up at The Institute, in a room that looks just like his own, except there's no window. And outside his door are other doors, behind which are other kids with special talents -- telekinesis and telepathy -- who got to this place the same way Luke did: Kalisha, Nick, George, Iris, and 10-year-old Avery Dixon. They are all in Front Half. Others, Luke learns, graduated to Back Half, "like the roach motel," Kalisha says. "You check in, but you don't check out." In this most sinister of institutions, the director, Mrs. Sigsby, and her staff are ruthlessly dedicated to extracting from these children the force of their extranormal gifts. There are no scruples here. If you go along, you get tokens for the vending machines. If you don't, punishment is brutal. As each new victim disappears to Back Half, Luke becomes more and more desperate to get out and get help. But no one has ever escaped from The Institute.… (more)
Member:alicia.becker
Title:The Institute: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Scribner (2019), Edition: First Edition, 576 pages

The Institute by Stephen King

English (87)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (94)
I'm doing it. Giving Stephen King ANOTHER five stars. I am giving it for the leap from the train. Best passage I have read in a long time. It felt like I was there. Love it. This book had a Strangers Thing and Ender's Shadow vibe which helped me give it a very high rating. I am looking forward to re-reading this book in five to 10 years. So many books, so little time.
2,215 members; 4.09 average rating; 7/9/2021 ( )
  mainrun | Jul 21, 2021 |
Phenomenal..... I loved this book. Psychic potential in children sets them up to be taken, their families murdered, by our government in order to be enhanced and do secret work, until they revolt, and one child destroys them. I can't wait to read it again. ( )
  debbiedd24 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Twelve year old child prodigy, Luke Ellis, is trying to figure out what's next in his young life, such as attending MIT, when he is kidnapped and taken to a secret facility, known as The Institute. Others will extraordinary (psychic) powers are there for a period, while their talents are further stimulated in horrific ways by the staff, and then used for nefarious purposes. Luke makes friends with other children in "The Front Half", but eventually all of them are moved to "The Back Half" and never seen again. Avery, Kalisha, Nicky and George become his friends. Luke figures out that their only chance is for him to escape and find help, and he enlists Avery, the most powerful of his friends. Mrs. Sigsby and her chief of security start a national hunt for Luke, and he eventually finds help in an obscure town in North Carolina. Eventually, he is blackmailed to return by threatening to kill all of Luke's captive friends. Sadly, the ending is completely ridiculous as are all of the GR reviews that do not say anything except whine about King's anti-Trump rhetoric in the novel. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I’ve read enough Stephen King books to say that most of them aren’t silly like most horror books are. Most of King's horror does not involve monsters or vampires; his books have a premise that I can swallow as long as I can accept, just for the sake of the story, a bit of the supernatural.

THE INSTITUTE is one such book. If you can accept that there are children all over the world with telekinetic and telepathic powers, then you can enjoy it and won’t think it’s silly.

Luke is 12 years old. He has slight telekinetic powers, but that is enough for him to be kidnapped, his parents murdered. He is brought to the Institute (in Maine, of course), where children with telekinetic and telepathic powers are put through horrendous ordeals to enhance their powers.

Because stories about children usually bore me, I admit that my favorite parts of this book involve adults, the nice ones. And there are some, although most of them are taking advantage of and discarding the lives of these children. The good guys are in a small town in South Carolina, and the best one is Tim.

Although my favorite Stephen King novel is still 11/22/63, THE INSTITUTE is good and I enjoyed it, although it would have been better without the political comments. ( )
  techeditor | Jun 20, 2021 |
My favorite author does it again! He has crafted another well written and deeply disturbing tome that manages to stay with you long after you have turned the final page.⁣
King, to me, has always done a great job of molding his characters. You get detailed backstories, and you get to hear them in conversations that sound real, not stilted. When something happens to a character you’ve grown to love, you instantly mourn their pain and/or loss. There were vivid depictions of child abuse throughout this story, and each one made me cringe and want to reach through the pages and help the character. There are even nods to his other works, and the “Institute” reminded me of somewhere where they would take Charlie McGee from “Firestarter”.⁣
If this is your first time picking up a Stephen King book then this is a great one to start with! The suspense and crime aspects are mixed well; it doesn’t have quite the amount of horror as in his previous works. I read that there is also a TV adaptation in the works of this which I am looking forward to
  brookiexlicious | May 9, 2021 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briasco, LucaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And Samson called unto the Lord, and said, O Lord God, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines...

And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars upon which the house stood, and on which it was borne up, of the one with his right hand, and of the other with his left. And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lord, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life. --Judges, Chapter 16
But whoso shall offend one of these little ones... it were better for him that a millstone were handed about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. --Matthew, Chapter 18
For my grandsons: Ethan, Aidan, and Ryan
Half an hour after Tim Jamieson's Delta flight was scheduled to leave Tampa for the bright lights and tall buildings of New York, it was still parked at the gate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,431,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible