Reading Romans with Eastern Eyes: Honor and…

by W. Jackson (Author)

47None474,477NoneNone
What does it mean to "read Romans with Eastern eyes"? Combining research from Asian scholars with his many years of experience living and working in East Asia, Jackson directs our attention to Paul's letter to the Romans. He argues that some traditional East Asian cultural values are closer to those of the first-century biblical world than common Western cultural values. In addition, he adds his voice to the scholarship engaging the values of honor and shame in particular and their influence on biblical interpretation. As readers, we bring our own cultural fluencies and values to the text. Our biases and backgrounds influence what we observe--and what we overlook. This book helps us consider ways we sometimes miss valuable insights because of widespread cultural blind spots. In Reading Romans with Eastern Eyes, Jackson demonstrates how paying attention to East Asian culture provides a helpful lens for interpreting Paul's most complex letter. When read this way, we see how honor and shame shape so much of Paul's message and mission.… (more)
Member:Caleb_Lankie
Title:Reading Romans with Eastern Eyes: Honor and Shame in Paul's Message and Mission
Authors:W. Jackson (Author)
Info:IVP Academic (2019), 248 pages

Work Information

Reading Romans with Eastern Eyes: Honor and Shame in Paul's Message and Mission by W. Jackson

No reviews

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,115,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible