The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E.…

The Ten Thousand Doors of January (edition 2020)

by Alix E. Harrow (Author)

In the early 1900s, a young woman embarks on a fantastical journey of self-discovery after finding a mysterious book. In a sprawling mansion filled with peculiar treasures, January Scaller is a curiosity herself. As the ward of the wealthy Mr. Locke, she feels little different from the artifacts that decorate the halls: carefully maintained, largely ignored, and utterly out of place. Then she finds a strange book. A book that carries the scent of other worlds, and tells a tale of secret doors, of love, adventure and danger. Each page turn reveals impossible truths about the world and January discovers a story increasingly entwined with her own.… (more)
Member:bookinfusions
Title:The Ten Thousand Doors of January
Authors:Alix E. Harrow (Author)
Info:Redhook (2020), 416 pages

Work Information

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow

English (170)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (172)
Una storia d'amore più travagliata di quella di Romeo e Giulietta da cui nasce una figlia, January, poi soggiogata magicamente dal suo tutore: delirante fondatore di una società segreta dedita a chiudere le porte tra i mondi. ( )
  LLonaVahine | May 22, 2024 |
This was a really fun read. The characters were so engaging. I'd love to know what January gets up to next. ( )
  punkinmuffin | Apr 30, 2024 |
“I believed in the black gleam of the ink in the night, in the strength of my own fingers wrapped around the pen, in the reality of that other world waiting just on the other side of some invisible curtain. I believed in second chances and righted wrongs and rewritten stories. I believed in Samuel’s belief.”

I love everything about this book. I love the title, the whimsical cover, the book within a book trope, the enchanting characters, the hauntingly beautiful language. This book is everything I want a book to be. And it’s my first read of the year; I just can’t imagine that it’ll get any better than this gem.

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is about a semi-orphaned girl raised to be good with a devoted dog named Bad. Like the best heroines, January (a name I’m unabashedly obsessed with) longs for freedom and adventure and truth, which is in contrast to her borrowed privilege and sheltered, isolated existence inside the gray estate of Locke House. In short, January longs to be the hero of her own story, but the abandonment by her father and her captivity as a collector’s item in Locke’s museum force her to fall in line with the wealthy benefactor’s expectations of her—be good, be quiet, don’t indulge in fantasies. Through the smuggling of stories, though, January finds a small red thread of impossible hope. This new and fragile faith allow her to cross the Threshold, setting off on an adventure through ten thousand doors to find the truth she’s searching for. In the end, it’s the power of words that save January and the many worlds she crosses into.

This book is about the power of words and stories, it’s about hope in the midst of hopelessness, it’s about adventure and love and enchantment. It’s about all the things that make a satisfying journey through the world of books. ( )
  lizallenknapp | Apr 20, 2024 |
Absolutely fantastic! Gorgeous writing: picturesque, lyrical, beautiful prose in service of a fantastical, magical story. I tore through this book, eagerly, hungrily, in just a few days. The story is very inventive, rich in nuance and detail. It filled me with sense of longing and loss, fun and wonder. To scour the world with January Scaller, a complex and compelling protagonist, and her faithful canine friend Sindbad, in search of Doors, would be a grand adventure and worth the hardships. I hope Samuel will be able to rejoin them. The Ten Thousand Doors Of January was borrowed from my public library, but it will be added to the permanent collection. Between this and A Spindle Splintered, Alix Harrow, in only two books, has quickly become a newly discovered favorite writer. ( )
1 vote LordSlaw | Feb 24, 2024 |
Had to DNF it, not my cup of tea. The story didn’t grip me and I found it tedious to read.
  bella.nadia | Feb 6, 2024 |
Harrow’s novel will hold strong appeal to readers who enjoy portal fantasies featuring adventuresome women.
added by 2wonderY | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 16, 2019)

Alix E. Harrowprimary authorall editionscalculated
LaVoy, JanuaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pompilio, Lisa MarieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nick, my comrade and compass
When I was seven, I found a door. I suspect I should capitalize that word, so you understand I’m not talking about your garden- or common-variety door that leads reliably to a white-tiled kitchen or a bedroom closet.
There's only one way to run away from your own story, and that's to sneak into someone else's. (Chapter 3, pg 92 Kindle)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,040,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible