dismiss

How To Love A Duke in 10 Days (Devil You Know)

by Kerrigan Byrne

The first in an exciting new series by USA Today bestseller Kerrigan Byrne! These men are dark, bold, and brave. And there is only one woman who can bring them to their knees... Famed and brilliant, Lady Alexandra Lane has always known how to look out for to herself. But nobody would ever expect that she has darkness in her past--one that she pays a blackmailer to keep buried. Now, with her family nearing bankruptcy, Alexandra strikes upon a solution: Get married to one of the empire's most wealthy eligible bachelors. Even if he does have the reputation of a devil. LOVE TAKES NO PRISONERS Piers Gedrick Atherton, the Duke of Redmayne, is seeking revenge and the first step is securing a bride. Winning a lady's hand is not so easy, however, for a man known as the Terror of Torcliff. Then, Alexandra enters his life like a bolt of lightning. When she proposes marriage, Piers knows that, like him, trouble haunts her footsteps. But her gentleness, sharp wit, independent nature, and incredible beauty awakens every fierce desire within him. He will do whatever it takes to keep her safe in his arms. "Romantic, lush, and suspenseful."--New York Times bestselling author Suzanne Enoch… (more)

Oh MY!! Where to begin? The title caught me. I love anything Celtic. I was very impressed that I actually felt for the characters. Each one of them had some substance. I actually cried a few times. The love was tangible. And what anyone (man or woman) could only hope for. I will however put the warning out there for people such as myself...there is a lot of sex. I am not a fan of sex scenes as I feel like they are a waste of time and much like a television commercial. I normally skip past them in a book to get back to the actual story. These scenes are passionate but I also actually felt them to be a beautiful explanation to the bond that the two main characters were nurturing. I still skipped over them but the conversation afterward was deeply felt. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Jul 7, 2020 |
This is the second series I've read by Kerrigan Byrne and I think I need to go and find all her other books. I loved the start of this series! Can't wait for the next one, which is hinted to be Cecelia's. Piers and Alexandra are an awesome fit and once they both realize it, it's so much better!

This review is based on an ARC from NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher. All opinions are my own. ( )
  Caelijean | Apr 21, 2020 |
Kerrigan Byrne does an amazing job of writing wounded people. Be warned - this book starts with a rape and this event changes the life of Alexandra Lane forever. She vows never to marry and her 2 best friends help her hide the coprse after her struggle ended in the death of the rapist.
Ten years later, the secrets still haunts her and as she rushes to her friends side to find out why she is marrying - Alexandra sacrifices herself to marry the Terror of Torcliff - AKA the Duke of Redmayne.
All of this takes place against a backdrop of blackmail and attempted murder. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Lady Alexandra Lane, with two very close friends, Francesca Cavendish and Cecelia Teague, have formed a little group called the Red Rogues. The name is partly due to their varying color of red hair, as well as their rather unorthodox behavior. The girls are away at school and. under certain circumstances, refer to each other as Alexander, Cecil and Frank.

One day after class, the headmaster has caught Alexandra out. He knows of their nefarious activities and threatens to expose the girls. Before he can do that, he does unspeakable harm to Alexandra, and she defends herself, and ends up killing him. They manage to cover the crime up, and go about their lives. Before I go on, I will admit to feeling rather broken while reading this scene.

It is now ten years later and Francesca is about to announce her betrothal. Alexandra and Cecelia travel to Devonshire for the announcement. But, Alexandra has received a note from Francesca that indicates she may be in danger, so Alexandra knows something more is up.

There is something else. Each girl is bond together by a dark secret. As this is Alexandra's story in this trilogy by Kerrigan Byrne, the turn of events becomes rather interesting. One of the first people that she sees is going to be rather significant in her life. During her years away, Alexandra became a doctor, an archaeologist, but her past has traveled with her. She has been blackmailed all of these years and her family is now destitute.

Meanwhile, the stranger Alexandra meets, Piers Gedrick Atherton, the Duke of Redmayne, is actually soon to become Francesca's betrothed. Piers is badly scarred and has the moniker, Terror of Torcliff. Nonetheless, sparks quickly fly between him and Alexandra. Therefore, things end up completely different, and before long, Alexandra and Piers are together.

The story shifts to their honeymoon in Normandy, where the couple go on an archaeological dig. While they get to know one another, Piers must work feverishly hard at keeping her safe. In all actuality, her blackmailer will stop at nothing.

What a story! After what Alexandra experienced as a teen, marriage was the furthest thing from her mind. She faces quite a bit of adjustment. Piers is a true hero. His compassion, understanding and gentleness shine through. Between watching the relationship develop, all while with danger continually escalating, made this quite an impressive, fast-moving story. I adored this book and cannot wait for the other two stories.

Many thanks to Kensington Publishing and to NetGalley, as well as Edelweiss, for this ARC to review in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
Wow! What a great story!
Coming on the heels of the Victorian Rebel series, this book has big shoes to fill and it does it admirably. It has all the characteristics of a signature Kerrigan Byrne novel we’ve come to expect. Deep, dark well developed characters and a story-line that will keep you glued to the pages until you’re done.
My heart hurt for both characters. They’ve gone through so much individually yet they still had a hard road ahead. That road is paved with fear and suspicion but also trust and love.

I received a copy for review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ( )
  HistoricalJunkie | Sep 17, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

To every survivor.
#metoo
Do you know why I called you to my study at such a late hour, Lady Alexander?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,872,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible