Apocalypse Any Day Now: Deep Underground…

Apocalypse Any Day Now: Deep Underground with America's Doomsday Preppers (edition 2019)

by Tea Krulos (Author), Eric Michael Summerer (Narrator), Tantor Audio (Publisher)

Member:joyceBl
Title:Apocalypse Any Day Now: Deep Underground with America's Doomsday Preppers
Authors:Tea Krulos (Author)
Other authors:Eric Michael Summerer (Narrator), Tantor Audio (Publisher)
Info:Tantor Audio (2019)
Collections:Currently reading, Your library
Rating:**1/2
Tags:non-fiction, apocalypse

Apocalypse Any Day Now: Deep Underground with America's Doomsday Preppers by Tea Krulos

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Apocollypse Now was a well researched book, but was limited to a survey of the various groups that believes mankind is set on a path of destruction and they need to be prepared. Some of the book seemed redundant - the preppers, the homesteaders, the Zombie Squad etc. all have similar beliefs and are preparing their bug out bags in similar ways. The chapter on the very expensive condos within de-activated missle silos held my attention. It was interesting to hear of the extent some very rich people are going to protect themselves for 5 years should there be a need to abandon their homes and careers to stay alive. I am glad I read this book since this is a segment of our society to which I have no exposure. ( )
3 vote joyceBl | Jul 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I requested this book on the monthly Early Reviews list I was expecting this to be a book looking only at the prepper culture - the people (often portrayed as very conservative, maybe paranoid, looking at conspiracies online) who collect food, guns, and military surplus to survive the end of the world. And while Tea Krulos does explore some of this culture, interviewing preppers in Wisconsin and New York, and looking at that culture, I was pleasantly surprised that there was so much more to this book. Tea not only explores the prepper culture, but also some of the different cultures (sub-cultures) that have cropped up with similar goals (preparing for the end of the world) but going about it in different ways. There were the members of Zombie Squad, an international group of preppers that use the hypothetical zombie apocalypse as a springboard not only for prepping, but for outreach, volunteering, and blood drives. There are the homesteaders who try to recreate and relearn the skills our ancestors had to prepare food, live off the land, and lead a simpler life. Tea interviews and immerses himself in these different groups, giving us an inside look into this culture, and maybe giving the reader a pause to think - am I ready? Maybe not to survive the end of the world, but if a serious weather event or natural disaster happened, could you survive for 3 days without access to food, electricity, and all the modern comforts we enjoy?

A good book that gets into the prepper sub-culture, exploring this world honestly and with a bit of entertainment. (The time Tea spends at the doomsday-themed Wasteland event, based primarily on the Mad Max movies was quite interesting.) Tea provides a glimpse at this world dispassionately, without judgement, providing the reader an intimate look at a group of people that are often seen as extreme. ( )
  GeoffHabiger | Jul 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Tea Krulos takes a deep dive into the world of doomsday preppers in this eye-opening book. Krulos explores the thinking of many different types of preppers, from those who believe in great government conspiracies, to those who simply want to return to the "simple" way of living off the land. Through Krulos's eyes, we view post-apocalyptic shelters from hidden cabins to palatial underground condominiums. We experience Mad Max style gatherings at which attendees get a head start on the end times. We participate in survival skills weekends. I came away from reading this book with a sense that preparation for a major disaster is imperative, but also with a healthy fear of the most intense preppers. ( )
  JSBancroft | Jun 15, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a fascinating audiobook -- much more than I would have expected. It's easy to dismiss survivalists/doomsday preppers as crazy extremists, but Krulos does an excellent job of making the people he interviewed relatable. And after recent events such as Hurricane Katrina, Superstorm Sandy, etc., maybe more of us should be preppers. ( )
1 vote vnesting | Jun 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have tried listening to this book several times, I don't know if it is the tone of the narrator, or the content itself, but I couldn't get past the first couple of chapters.
So far, though, it doesn't seem too bad. A lot of the times these sort of texts are far too personal/anecdotal to be much more useful than fiction, or too cold/judgemental to be trusted, and this one thus far manages to strike a balance of sorts.
  toonarmycaptain | May 30, 2019 |

"[The author] travels the country to try to puzzle out America's obsession with the end of days. Along the way he meets doomsday preppers--people who stockpile supplies and learn survival skills--as well as religious prognosticators, climate scientists, and others who devote their lives to warnings of doom"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Tea Krulos's book Apocalypse Any Day Now is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,407,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible