Stephen Hawking (Little People, BIG DREAMS)

by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara

Other authors: Matt Hunt (Illustrator)

Series: Little People, BIG DREAMS

Hawking's curiosity took him to the best universities in England: Oxford and Cambridge. It also led him to make one of the biggest scientific discoveries of the 20th century: Hawking radiation. Full color.

English (6)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
Most people do dinner and a movie. The Hawking family did dinner WITH a book. Einstein is what they called him in school, this Stephen Hawking. He was a super genius. As a child, he once built a computer from clock parts and an old telephone. Stephen was so smart that he was a student at the best universities in England: Cambridge and Oxford. He studied cosmology. Hawking was fascinated with black holes. But at 21 years old, he was stricken with a disease that was slowly paralyzing his body, ALS. Even with this disease, his mind never stopped. Hawking went on to find that black holes did emit light. He also invented a way to communicate with his new voice, since his old one stopped working. Doctors gave him 2 years to live when he was 21. Stephen hawking celebrated his 50th birthday by taking a zero gravity ride, 40 years after his confinement to a wheelchair. This goes to show any of us that we are all capable of doing the magnificent, achieving the impossible, and silencing the doubtful. ( )
  J.Peterson | Apr 25, 2020 |
A brilliant book about the life of the late scientist Stephen Hawking. The book covers his greatest moments and a in depth look at how he came to be known as one of the greatest minds of our time. Great for younger kids to learn about great thinkers while still being interested. ( )
  LGillum | Jan 30, 2020 |
An absolute 10/10 all around for this book. I think that this book not only has an amazing story, but amazing illustration, I am truly obsessed with the art in this book. I think that Stephen's story is so fascinating, and I think it's super cool to teach children about physical disabilities or diseases that real people have. I think it was a little weird that the story never directly named the condition he had, but it definitely talked about it and made it a key element to the story. I think that this picture book was done so perfectly, meshing the complicated science world with the world of children and creativity. It is just beautiful. ( )
  hannah98g | Jan 23, 2020 |
Many people know Stephen Hawking as a genius. This story teaches about him growing up to become the genius that he was. He was not the smartest in school but still grew up to solve "mysteries of the universe." He had a rare disease that paralyzed him. The story said this about Hawkings character, "Maybe he couldn't control his body but in order to study the universe all he needed was his mind." I like this because it shows how powerful out minds and ideas can be. I think this can apply to anybody even if they are not paralyzed. For example, if you are short and can't reach something on a high shelf you can use your mind to figure out a new way to reach it. So some things may seem impossible but if we think critically we can often figure it out. ( )
  JacquelynLochner | Jan 22, 2020 |
This book is about the life of Stephen Hawking. Stephen was always curious what else was up in the sky? He loved science and loved to build things. He wanted to solve the mysteries of the universe despite his diagnosis of ALS. Stephen proved that the black holes in the sky were not black after all and there were tiny bits of light escaping them. This was eventually named Hawking radiation. Stephen went on to write a book to help others understand the universe. Stephen celebrated his 65th birthday taking a ride with a team of astronauts. This is a significant story about Stephen Hawking's life and how even though life seemed difficult for him there was something he could succeed at and indeed he did. This book has a detailed timeline of Hawking's life events that leads me to believe that this is accurate information found in this book. ( )
  KRWallace | Oct 16, 2019 |

Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegaraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hunt, MattIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,334,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible