Atheism : a very short introduction by…

Atheism : a very short introduction (edition 2003)

by Julian Baggini

Atheism is often considered to be a negative, dark, and pessimistic belief which is characterized by a rejection of values and purpose and a fierce opposition to religion. Atheism: A Very Short Introduction sets out to dispel the myths that surround atheism and show how a life withoutreligious belief can be positive, meaningful, and moral. It also confronts the failure of officially atheist states in the Twentieth Century. The book presents an intellectual case for atheism that rests as much upon positive arguments for its truth as on negative arguments against religion.… (more)
Member:superant
Title:Atheism : a very short introduction
Authors:Julian Baggini
Info:Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2003.

Atheism: A Very Short Introduction by Julian Baggini

As a follower of Christ, I think, the book is well-written. I thoroughly enjoyed the style of writing. If you have not read about Atheism, I'd recommend this introductory. A better book on Atheism would be by J.L Mackie, "Miracle of Theism."

I grew up as an Atheist but converted as a Follower of Christ, I revisit my old beliefs. The arguments in the book are good for a short introduction, whether Theist or Atheist, should read and be informed.

Deus Vult

ǯ¤ô ôä ¯»¯Â¯¤¯±¯¬ôä ôɯ_ ¯_ôã¯_ô㯩 ¯¤ôį_ôôö¯±¯ø ¯¤ô㯱¯¤¯_¯_¯©

¯¬¯_¯ø ôÉôâ¯øôɯ© ô⯵ô_¯±¯© ¯_ô  ¯¤ô㯤ô ¯¤¯±ôÄô_¯© ¯¡ôãôÄ ¯¤ôãôį»¯¤¯¬ ¯¤ôãôÉôɯ»¯_

ôãô㯻¯_ôÉô_ôã
*************************
ôã¯_ôã ¯¤¯ÂôÉôã ¯_¯¤¯Â¯© ôôä ¯¤ôã¯_ôã¯_ô㯩 ¯_ôÉôöôɯ¤ ôö ôôä ¯¤ôãôį»¯¤¯¬ ¯øôà ¯¨¯µôö¯µ¯¤ ¯¤ô  ¯¤ôãôį¤¯»¯¬ ôɯ»ô ôÉôä ôãôãôôį± ¯¤ôãôãôä ¯¬ô_¯»ôÄôãôÉ ¯_ô ôà

¯¤¯üô  ôÄô¯¤ô_ôà ô⯱¯¤ô_ôà ¯_ô  ¯¤ô㯤ôã¯_¯¤¯ø ôã ôɯµ¯áôôä ôɯ_ôÉôö¯ø! ....¯¬¯_¯»¯¼¯±¯¬ ¯¤ô ô ¯¤ ôÄôãô ¯¤ -ôöô㯤 ¯¤¯_¯»¯Çô ôä ô ô¯_ôä- ô⯱ô_ô ¯¤ ¯_ô  ¯¤ô㯱¯ø ¯_ô  ¯¤ôãôÉôã¯_¯øô_ô  ô⯬ôã ôɯ¤ ô ¯_¯±ô ôàôɯ¤ ôÉô_ô  ¯¤ôãôÉôã¯_¯øô_ô  ¯øôöôã ôö ¯_¯¤ô_¯_ô_ô  ¯¤ô_ôà ôÉô  ¯¤¯_¯¤¯_ôà, ¯»¯¤¯±ô_¯¨ôàôÉ ¯¤ô_ôà,¯¤ôôį¤¯±ôàôÉ ¯¤¯_¯¤ôä

¯¤¯_¯»ôɯ»¯_¯» ¯¬ôö¯Âôàôà ô ¯ü¯± ôÉô  ¯¤ôã¯Â¯¤ô ¯¬ ¯¤ô㯤¯¨¯± ôÉô  ¯¤ôãô ô௱ ..ôö ô㯼¯© ¯¤ôãôį»¯¤¯¬ ¯¤ô㯤ô ¯Âôãô_¯_ô_ôà ¯¤ô㯬¯_ô_¯á¯© ôö ¯¤ôãôö¯¤¯¦¯_¯© ¯_ôàô㯻 ¯¤ôãôÉôàôÉôà ôãô㯼¯¤ô_¯©
  dinanabil | Feb 28, 2014 |
ǯ¤ô ôä ¯»¯Â¯¤¯±¯¬ôä ôɯ_ ¯_ôã¯_ô㯩 ¯¤ôį_ôôö¯±¯ø ¯¤ô㯱¯¤¯_¯_¯©

¯¬¯_¯ø ôÉôâ¯øôɯ© ô⯵ô_¯±¯© ¯_ô  ¯¤ô㯤ô ¯¤¯±ôÄô_¯© ¯¡ôãôÄ ¯¤ôãôį»¯¤¯¬ ¯¤ôãôÉôɯ»¯_

ôãô㯻¯_ôÉô_ôã
*************************

Dina_Nabil | Feb 28, 2014 |
A very concise explanation of atheism. The author attempts to move beyond the simple "disbelief in god" stance and into what might be called the "average atheist world view". No doubt many atheists would disagree with much of what is written in this book, but I think that overall, it accurately describes what the majority of atheists believe and disbelieve. ( )
1 vote br0k3nglass | May 16, 2009 |

Julian Bagginiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Skopa, AntonijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Preface
It has been a pleasure to write this book for the (until now at least) excellent Very Short Introductions series. In keeping with the ethos of this series I have aimed to keep the book readable and enjoyable, avoiding academic dryness, whilst at the same time endevouring to maintain a high standard of intellectual rigour and integrity. It is for others to judge whether I have succeeded.
Chapter 1
What is atheism?

A walk on the dark side?

When I was a child I attended a Roman Catholic primary school. It would serve the cause of militant atheism well if I could report beatings by nuns and fondlings in the sacristy by randy priests, but neither gaudy tale would be true. On the contrary, I was raised in what could be seen as a gentle, benign religious environment.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,405,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible