Sea Witch Rising by Sarah Henning

Sea Witch Rising (edition 2019)

by Sarah Henning (Author)

Series: Sea Witch (2)

"The Little Mermaid" takes a twisted turn in this thrilling sequel to villainess origin story Sea Witch, as the forces of land and sea clash in an epic battle for freedom, redemption, and true love.  Runa will not let her twin sister die. Alia traded her voice to the Sea Witch for a shot at happiness with a prince who doesn't love her. And his rejection will literally kill her--unless Runa intervenes. Under the sea, Evie craves her own freedom--but liberation from her role as Sea Witch will require an exchange she may not be willing to make. With their hearts' desires at odds, what will Runa and Evie be willing to sacrifice to save their worlds?  Told from alternating perspectives, this epic fairy tale retelling is a romantic and heart-wrenching story about the complications of sisterhood, the uncompromising nature of magic, and the cost of redemption.… (more)
Member:tinnass
Title:Sea Witch Rising
Authors:Sarah Henning (Author)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2019), 416 pages

Work Information

Sea Witch Rising by Sarah Henning

The Little Mermaid told from the perspective of one of the mermaid’s sisters. And the titular sea witch, of course.

Evie, the Sea Witch, remembers the pain her friend Annamette caused when she tried to trade her tail for legs. But when the youngest mer-princess comes to her asking for help, she thinks maybe this time will be different. So she agrees to grant the little mermaid’s request.

But when the mermaid’s twin sister, Runa, arrives on her doorstep and explains the truth of the situation, Evie realizes her mistake and sends Runa after her sister to try to fix things before it’s too late. Caught in the middle of the humans’ brewing war and trying to prevent the sea king from starting another war in his endless quest for power, Runa and Evie must find a way to prevent countless casualties and restore the balance of magic to land and sea.

I didn’t like this one as much as the first book, but it’s still a really creative retelling and I enjoyed it! ( )
  vvbooklady | Sep 28, 2021 |
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

This is the second book of a duology that is a Little Mermaid retelling, however this book focuses more on the sea witch and on the little mermaids sister than it does on her. The first book was all about Evie before she became the sea witch. This one focuses more on Runa, the little mermaid's sister.

I really enjoyed the first book, and while I'm glad I read the sequel, it didn't captivate me same way that the first book did. Again I can't really say why, it held some of the wonder and magic that the first book did, but not as much of it I guess.

The cover on these books though are just amazing. So beautiful. Just thought this was worth throwing in there.

I like Evie, and I like how they twist this story to shine the sea witch in a better light, while also turning the sea king into a villian. I like how Runa is brave and willing to risk much to help people while at that same time she has blood on her hands. Her flaw makes her feel more real to me.

It was a cute a duology that was worth reading. I'd be willing to read more by this author and know I'm all for retellings.

How I choose my rating:
1* Hated it. Had to force myself to finish it.
2** Didn't really like it. Didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other then for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread again ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this again, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this books content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will definitely be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,924,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible