The Lily Theater by Lulu Wang

The Lily Theater (1997)

by Lulu Wang

The Lily Theater is a strikingly original debut novel-an international literary sensation-based on the author's experience growing up in China during the Cultural Revolution. When twelve-year-old Lian Shui accompanies her mother to reeducation camp, no one imagines that Lian will receive an education. But detained along with her mother are some of China's greatest thinkers and they take an interest in young Lian. She in turn delivers lectures of her own to the creatures inhabiting a pond she dubs "The Lily Theater." These ideas inform her life when she returns to school and reunites with her best friend Kim, a peasant girl through whom Lian ultimately learns about the painful failings of Mao's teachings-and of life.… (more)
Recently added bymeznir, private library, lekkerbek, RickyW, kwolfe13, Hecate45, Zjev, Cazaerck, Mendy2383

Dutch (7)  English (2)  All languages (9)
The comments on the back side of a book I always read with a certain suspicion. I was interested in this book, but wasn't sure I should buy it. Therefore I lent it from the library first.

I was sold immediately from the first page I read. The colourful style of writing made me feel as if I was there when it all happened, she took me with her on her journey and I was sad when the book came to an end. I hadn't expected that, because I had no experience with Chinese authors and their way of writing. But... I liked it very much. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
A fascinatin insight into growing up in China under mao. Lian, daughter of intellectuals, is banished to a work camp with her parents. She goes to live in her mother's work camp and is taught by China's finest philosophers etc. The book looks at the social positions of the intellectuals and the class system. Lian tries to get Kim integrated into her class but this fails. ( )
  JillMcCaghern | Jan 31, 2010 |

keer u om:
aan uw voeten
ligt de veilige kust

- Boeddhistische spreuk -
'Welke speelgoedmand wil je hebben? Zeg het maar.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,614,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible