The Shape of Night : A Novel by Tess…

The Shape of Night : A Novel (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Tess Gerritsen

"A woman trying to outrun her past is drawn to a quiet coastal town in Maine--and to a string of unsolved murders--in this haunting tale of romantic suspense from New York Times bestselling author Tess Gerritsen."--
Member:Laura_lita
Title:The Shape of Night : A Novel
Authors:Tess Gerritsen
Info:[S.l.]: Random House Publishing Group, 2019.
Collections:Wishlist

The Shape of Night by Tess Gerritsen (2019)

English (26)  Dutch (2)  All languages (28)
Not at all what you expect from Tess Gerritsen. Haunting. Perversion. Nothing bad, just unexpected.
  sistacheryl | Oct 9, 2020 |
Let me be clear, I have been a big Tess Gerritsen fan since I first read her one of her books almost 20 years ago. Over the years she has never disappointed me. The story line, the character development, the flow of the story and, so important in a mystery, the twists in the plot. Everything she wrote was solid and provided the reader with the entertainment they expected from her.

Well this one didn't quite do it, for me. The writing was good, the story premise was intriguing and the characters were acceptable. Unfortunately some thing was lacking. I did enjoy the book and cant quite put my finger on why was left feeling 'so what'. It has what every ghost story should have; an interesting ghost with an interesting background living in a unique space that draws one into to it. Add in a lonely woman running from her perceived sins who needs someone to understand her and help make her pay for her sins and who feels accepted by the supposedly haunted house. Plus there there is the strong sexual attraction. And, to make it all the better, the former tenant of the house is found dead.

This is a lot to digest and as I read what I have written I am wondering if I am not making this sound like a tawdry pulp novel. Well it isn't a tawdry pulp novel. It is quality writing and story. The characters are interesting and the story line very interesting. All those things going for it yet it doesnt quite work right. Simply put, found it interesting but something was lacking. Really wanted to enjoy this book and could never really convenience myself to be enthused. Tess Gerritsen is a very good mystery writer who puts out, what I believe is, an above average novel. Guess my issue is do not believe this is up to her usual standard. It is still an interesting concept and a decent piece of work. ( )
  can44okie | Aug 28, 2020 |
The Shape of Night is unlike any of Tess Gerritsen’s precious books. A quick and easy read, this book is hard to put down with its mystery and at times intrigue as to where Gerritsen is taking the story. Though the reader may be able to guess the ending, this like all of Tess’s books is a must! ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Jul 4, 2020 |
The Shape of Night by Tess Gerrittsen is an interesting thriller, and a concept that is not utilized as often as it could be. I really appreciated the atmosphere of the story as well as the message surrounding regret and death.

I give The Shape of Night 4.5/5 stars.

I received The Shape of Night as an e-arc from Netgalley ( )
  Booksunknown23 | May 18, 2020 |
This is the first book I have read from Tess Gerritsen.

I liked this book from the very first chapter. I think what drew me in was the story line about the ships captain and him possibly being a ghost. It brought back childhood memories of a TV show ,The Ghost & Mrs. Muir I use to love watching. But it was so much more!This was suspenseful and I could not stop turning the pages. It was also a story that had multiple story's going on with the main character. It was so refreshing to read a story that is unlike all the books out there. I read this book from start to finish in 7 1/2 hours without putting it down.

My usual gentry of books is suspense and mystery. But it seams that some of the books all have the same story line. This book was so much different then what I'm used to and it was very refreshing to read a different type of story.

I usually read a good book but sometimes don't like the ending. This book I liked from begging to end.. Tess Gerritsen can tell a great story and I will be looking forward to more of her books.

I gave this 5 stars. ( )
  kmjessica | Apr 26, 2020 |
Proloog;

Nog steeds droom ik over Brodie's Watch, en het is altijd dezelfde nachtmerrie.
Hoofdstuk 1

Dat beklemmende gevoel had ik niet toen ik die dag begin augustus de North Point Way insloeg, en voor het eerst naar Brodie's Watch reed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,250,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible