Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars) (Star Wars:…

Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars) (Star Wars: Thrawn) (edition 2020)

by Timothy Zahn (Author)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - Grand Admiral Thrawn faces the ultimate test of his loyalty to the Empire in this epic Star Wars novel from bestselling author Timothy Zahn. "If I were to serve the Empire, you would command my allegiance." Such was the promise Grand Admiral Thrawn made to Emperor Palpatine at their first meeting. Since then, Thrawn has been one of the Empire's most effective instruments, pursuing its enemies to the very edges of the known galaxy. But as keen a weapon as Thrawn has become, the Emperor dreams of something far more destructive. Now, as Thrawn's TIE defender program is halted in favor of Director Krennic's secret Death Star project, he realizes that the balance of power in the Empire is measured by more than just military acumen or tactical efficiency. Even the greatest intellect can hardly compete with the power to annihilate entire planets. As Thrawn works to secure his place in the Imperial hierarchy, his former prot g Eli Vanto returns with a dire warning about Thrawn's homeworld. Thrawn's mastery of strategy must guide him through an impossible choice: duty to the Chiss Ascendancy, or fealty to the Empire he has sworn to serve. Even if the right choice means committing treason. Praise for Thrawn: Treason "Another excellent addition to the new canon . . . Thrawn: Treason will reward you thoroughly for your time."--GeekMom "If you've ever enjoyed a Thrawn story--whether that was Heir to the Empire and its sequels or Zahn's new novels--you'll find more of what you enjoy in Treason."--Dork Side of the Force… (more)
Member:Rick_Shafer
Title:Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars) (Star Wars: Thrawn)
Authors:Timothy Zahn (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2020), Edition: Reissue, 496 pages

Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn

In the finale of this trilogy of books, Grand Admiral Thrawn finds himself in the middle of a conflict between Governor Tarkin (of the original Star Wars fame) and Director Orson Krennic (of Rogue One fame). Even more pressing is an incursion by the war-like Grysks from the Unknown Regions into Imperial territory.

To fight this new threat, Thrawn must work with his own people, the Chiss, with Admiral Ar'alani leading a fleet in an uneasy alliance with Thrawn and the Empire. This book also marks the return of Eli Vanto, who has defected to the Chiss, and it is great to have him back. Commodore Karyn Faro is established as another great character who becomes a great leader under Thrawn's tutelage.

It's interesting that Thrawn is associated with the evil Empire, because he's an excellent example of leadership in the way he establishes Vanto and Faro as his proteges and then trusts their experience. It's very different than the rest of the Empire where the "leaders" either step over one another or cower in fear. Brierly Ronan, Krennic's deputy who is sent along to watch over Thrawn, is a slippery character who is more typical of the Empire we know, although his character also develops in interesting ways.

This book is excellent at building intrigue and gamesmanship. The only flaw in my mind is that when the story finally builds to a climactic battle, it's not all that interesting to read about, compared with how exciting it would be depicted in film. There is more Thrawn to read, as Zahn is now publishing an Ascendancy trilogy about Thrawn's experiences before he joined the Empire. And this trilogy of novels I just completed also tie in with the animated series Star Wars: Rebels, so I'm going to have to catch up on that too! ( )
1 vote Othemts | Feb 16, 2021 |
Timothy Zhan delivers another great Thrawn book. It has all the intrigue, battles and holmesian deduction that is a hallmark of our beloved Chiss.

If there is a single weak point that drops it to five to four stars is the fact that the fate of Thrawn is held up by the Star Wars Rebel series. Until Lucas Film announces the fate of the Grand Admiral, there's only so much that can be done by Zhan. The Grysks seem an even more formidable threat than the Vong (in the old EU) and after this book you're left feeling "Hurry up already! Lets see Thrawn take the gloves off with these guys!"

On the whole however, despite how Lucas Film has throated how far this series can progress Treason is another great entry in the Star Wars univers. ( )
  wicarso | Jan 8, 2021 |
Thrawn is probably the ony "Mary Sue" character I not only tolerate, but love. The more he outsmarts everyone else around him, the more I like him. I also liked how this book had more female characters. ( )
  ladyars | Dec 31, 2020 |
While I’ve generally been ambivalent about the Disney-era interpretation of our beloved Grand Admiral, Thrawn: Treason is far and away Zahn’s best Star Wars work in years, quite possibly since the original Thrawn Trilogy.

Set several weeks after the events of Thrawn: Alliances (a promising but overly-convoluted Thrawn & Vader adventure story, reviewed here), Treason ties Thrawn into the prelude to the events of Rogue One, when he is tasked with stopping mynock attacks on the supply chain for Project Stardust. What seems like a routine pest patrol problem quickly escalates when Thrawn discovers that someone has been using the mynocks as cover to hijack supply vessels, and then we’re thrust headfirst into a conspiracy that goes to the highest echelons of the Empire.

Treason lives up to its title, with questions about who is loyal – and the nature of loyalty itself – pervading the book. Thrawn’s allegiances are always suspect in the human-centric Empire, and when the plot brings him into cooperation with Admiral Ar’alani of the Chiss Defense Fleet, those questions go all the way up to the Emperor. Eli Vanto, who sorta-defected to the Chiss Ascendancy, faces similar questions in turn, both from his new Chiss crewmates (who are understandably weary of an ex-Imperial on their decks) and from his former Imperial comrades, whom he is forced to work alongside once again.

Loyalty to the person, loyalty to the flag, loyalty to the Greater Good – Treason does a surprisingly deft job of exploring what happens when we must betray one of those loyalties for another. Thrawn and Eli'van'to are both, in a sense, traitors to their homelands, and both justify their actions in the name of the common good. Commodore Karyn Faro and most of the crew of the Chimaera are increasingly loyal more to Thrawn as an individual than to the Empire as a whole. In Grand Admiral Balanhai Savit we get a character who believes he knows what’s best for the Empire, to the point where he will commit his own treasons, small at first, but growing in scale.

And perhaps most interesting of all is Assistant Director Brierly Ronan, serving under Orson Callan Krennic on the still-nascent Death Star project. Director Krennic, shown through Ronan’s eyes, is the exceptionally rare, competent, selfless, meritocratic member of the Empire’s elite, above the petty politicking and manipulations of Tarkin or even the Emperor himself. Ronan and Krennic seem to envision an idealized Empire, freed from the superstitions and psychoses of Vader and Palpatine. In this way, Krennic reads almost (almost) like the Thrawn we were introduced to back in The Last Command. Ronan himself must struggle with his loyalty to the Empire and his blatant disloyalty to the Emperor, all while figuring out where colluding with aliens fits into his ideological worldview.

Very solid across the board. As with a lot of his other works, Zahn is sort of playing footsie with the old Expanded Universe canon, and I swear “Mole” was based on the old Zakarisz Ghent. Treason also avoided the worst of Zahn’s tendency to create overly-convoluted puzzles solved in Sherlockian sequences, and there was only one scene that I felt I needed a diagram to follow along. His battles are still a bit more ballet than brawl, but they hung together pretty well.

All in all, this leaves me cautiously optimistic for Chaos Rising in September. ( )
  pvoberstein | Dec 14, 2020 |
A great conclusion to Zahn's latest Thrawn trilogy. Not only does it show Thrawn at his best, I really enjoyed the tie ins to other parts of the franchise including Rogue One and the Rebels tv show. Not only was it fun to see this story within the larger framework of the Star Wars universe it helped to ground the time when this story takes place. We also got to see more of the Chiss in this story as Thrawn is assisted by Admiral Ar’alani as they uncover a Grysk incursion into the Empire. A fun read from beginning to end. ( )
  GeoffHabiger | Oct 3, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,345,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible