Bitter Root Volume 1: Family Business

by David F. Walker, Chuck Brown, Sanford Greene (Artist)

Other authors: Regina N. Bradley (Contributor), Kinitra Brooks (Contributor), Clayton Cowles (Letterer), John Jennings (Contributor), Rico Renzi (Colorist)3 more, Stacey Robinson (Contributor), Ceeon D. Quiett Smith (Contributor), Qiana Whitted (Contributor)

Series: Bitter Root (1-5)

"In the 1920s, the Harlem Renaissance is in full swing, and only the Sangerye Family, once known as the greatest monster hunters of all time, can save New York -- and the world -- from the supernatural forces threatening to destroy humanity. But those days are fading and the once-great family that specialized in curing the souls of those infected by racism and hate has been torn apart by tragedies and conflicting moral codes. A terrible tragedy has claimed most of the family, leaving the surviving cousins divided between by the desire to cure monsters or to kill them; they must heal the wounds of the past and move beyond their differences ... or sit back and watch a force of unimaginable evil ravage the human race."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Aug 13, 2020 |
I was going to give this book a 2-star rating after finishing the main feature, because despite the interesting start and showing us horror through an African American prism, the story quickly became a lot of slam-bang action scenes with one-dimensional characters fighting monsters. It felt like I was skipping all the other episodes in the season and just watching the cliffhanger finale of Supernatural. Who are these people and why are they all fighting?

But the book was saved by the many scholarly articles in the end matter. A lot of thought provoking notions were raised there that I hope the creators of the comics will start to integrate more fully into their narrative. ( )
  villemezbrown | Nov 3, 2019 |

Robinson, StaceyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Ceeon D. QuiettContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whitted, QianaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has stood up to the Jinoo. Keep fighting the monsters. - David
Dedicated to my big brothers for introducing me to a world of heroes, monsters, & magic. And to my wife & kids for their love, support. - Chuck
To my wife and children for the support and thanks to God for opportunity for me and my creative brothers to fight the good fight. - Sanford
Harlem.
New York.
1924...
"C'mon, we can walk through the park, Ossie."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,198,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible