Flags by Maxine Trottier
191749,407 (3)None

This book was beautiful. The illustrations were exceptional. The difficult subject matter (the removal of Japanese citizens from their homes and livelihoods during World War Two) was approached from a child's point of view without judgement.
  elliottruth | Dec 15, 2009 |

I will take care of your garden, Mr. hiroshi," I offered. He smiled. "That would give me great comfort, Mary," he said. "The koi are greedy, you know. Do not let them get fat." We watched the bus drive away. For Mary, too young to fully understand about war and far-off places, the promise was meant to last only until Mr. Hiroshi came back. But after a while it was clear the her friend wouldn't be coming home. Still, Mary faithfully kept her word all through that long summer. And when the new people came to live in Mr. Hiroshi's house, she knew exactly what to do. Once more, Maxine Trottier takes a small piece of a larger story, nurtures it with care, and grows a tale as elegant as a Japanese Garden. Flags is a simple story of innocence and friendship set against a backdrop of fear and suspicion. A story that must be told and told again--but never allowed to recur.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:31 -0400)

When Mary's Japanese neighbor is taken to an internment camp, Mary keeps her promise to maintain his beautiful garden.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,983,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible