Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes…

Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes (original 1942; edition 1999)

by Edith Hamilton (Author)

A collection of Greek and Roman myths from various classical sources arranged in section on the gods and early heroes, love and adventure stories, heroes before and during the Trojan War, and lesser myths. Includes a brief section on Norse mythology.
Member:hkaur1003
Title:Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes
Authors:Edith Hamilton (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1999), Edition: Reissue, 352 pages

Work Information

Mythology by Edith Hamilton (1942)

English (84)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (86)
12/1/22
  laplantelibrary | Dec 1, 2022 |
Scholarly in a way that most retellings of the Greek, Roman, and Norse myths are not. A discussion of the originals of many of the stories, with commentary. Quotations from translations of the poets. A discussion of the purpose and meaning of the myths and what place they have in our cultural heritage. ( )
  themulhern | Nov 12, 2022 |
Includes index.
  TorontoOratorySPN | Aug 31, 2022 |
I remember reading parts of this in high school and liking it then, but rereading this book in it's entirety those are just found memories. For the most part, I didn't really enjoy this book. This is more for beginners or high schoolers, which could also make people love this book.

I just kept finding more flaws than reasons to like this book. First off, the Norse part of this book was pointless. I'm not sure why she had it in here either. I feel like if your going to talk about other culture's myths at least add other cultures. I feel like she intentionally snubbed other myths.

I hated her commentary. Every time she talked about where she got the myths I want to tell her to shut up and just tell the tale. She made Ovid look like a fool sometimes. She also picked which version of a myth she like better making the other versions she though were less important.

The chapters where she retold the Odyssey and the Iliad I thought were pointless too. Having read those to book earlier this year I felt it was repetitive. She managed to take Homer's stories and make them sound less interesting. I did like her chapters on the heroes though, maybe because they don't really have books just for there story.

There are better mythology books out there, this isn't one of them. It's a super popular book though. I can see why. Like I said this is for beginners. This was better than Bullfinch which I had issues with that book too. This should get credit too just for the fact a woman wrote it, which was rare at her time.

I'll most likely look at this book from time to time. It's a good reference book. This isn't really good to read the whole thing over and over. I thought it was short stories, but it's more encyclopedia entries. ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
A refresher in the Greek and Roman gods, in preparation for reading some classic literature later in the year. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |

Tierney, JimArtistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiidus, HardiTÕlkija.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wormell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of old the Hellenic race was marked off from the barbarian as more keen-witted and more free from nonsense
— Herodotus I
Greek and Roman mythology is quite generally supposed to show us how the human race thought and felt untold ages ago.

A keystone of our culture is the body of myth and legend of the ancient Western world - stories of gods and heroes that have inspired human creativity from antiquity to the present day.  In Mythology Edith Hamilton brings this legacy to life anew, with impeccably accurate and accessible retellings of eternally spellbinding tales.
We come to know the Greek gods on Olympus and Norse gods in Valhalla. We trace the dynasties of the Agamemnon and Oedipus dynasties, and get caught up in the fascination of such legends as Jason and the Golden Fleece, Cupid and Psyche, and Medusa.
We discover the origin of the names of the constellations in the skies and reference points for countless works of art, literature, and philosophy.
Edith Hamilton's highly acclaimed work has itself become a classic, an indispensable source of vast knowledge, insight and enjoyment.

Norse - p301 - 315, Several genealogies for the Gods
It may well be a good coverage of Greek, but w only 15 pages, it's not going to be more than a fast introduction to  Norse.

Contents: Introduction to classical mythology -- Gods, the creation, and the earliest heroes -- Stories of love and adventure -- Great heroes before the Trojan War -- Heroes of the Trojan War -- Great families of mythology -- Less important myths -- Mythology of the Norsemen -- Genealogical tables.
Of Greek, Roman myths
Goddesses and gods, heroes
Plus a bit of Norse
(pickupsticks)

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316341517, 0446607258, 0316341142, 0446574759

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,283,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible