Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. Seuss

Horton Hears a Who! (original 1954; edition 1954)

by Dr. Seuss (Author)

Series: Horton (3)

Member:SteppLibrary
Title:Horton Hears a Who!
Authors:Dr. Seuss (Author)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1954), Edition: Reissue, 72 pages

Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss (1954)

Recently added byJBond22, tmkteacher, private library, deschatjes, Chamblyman

English (100)  French (1)  All (101)
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 16, 2018 |
This book is a great book to show students that no matter how different two people may be, they can still be friends and help each other out no matter what. It is a great story that shows a lot of different ideas that should be taught to kids. I would use this book as a lesson in my classroom.
  taylorbeard29 | Apr 17, 2018 |
Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss is one of my all-time favorite children’s books. The main reason I love this book is for its creative writing and the characters. This book is a unique story of a small town who lives on a dust particle and an Elephant, Horton, who takes care of them. Horton cares deeply about the people who live in this small world and does his best to protect them. Even the other animals think Horton is crazy for thinking there is something on the dust particle, but he sticks to his word and protects the dust particle. In this book the text is the same size throughout the text. However, when the people are talking on the dust particle the text gets tiny. This engaged me as a reader because I was able to imagine a small world of people shouting as loud as they can, but yet is still quiet to the elephant. I find this book to be creative and humorous. Humorous because Dr. Seuss chose the largest animal he could think of to find the smallest dust particle with people on it. I find this to be a creative book because it has many truths to it. In our world, we see many things as less or smaller because of what they’re capable of and size. This book contains several messages. Throughout the book the elephant is repeating the phrase, “A person’s a person, no matter how small” (Seuss). This quote can be taken in many ways, but it basically means that a person is a person no matter what. Another important message in this book is to not back down when you believe you’re doing the right thing. Horton protects the people on the dust particle even though the other animals think he is crazy. ( )
  JulieFriedman | Apr 10, 2018 |
This excellent children's story maintains a consistent end-rhyme scheme throughout the book. It also uses a distinct rhythm. The overall themes of kindness and consideration toward others shine through without overshadowing the story. ( )
  rpankey | Apr 3, 2018 |
Horton believes he hears voices in a clover he found and decides to protect it. We soon discover that there is, in fact, a village of "whos" that live on a speck of the clover. By Horton deciding to protect this clover, he ends up saving Whoville and makes an odd friendship along the way. I love how caring Horton is and how his caring nature ultimately saved Whoville. Though Horton questions whether he should keep the clover or leave it, he always goes back to his wonderful morals. This book also reminds us that we should stick up for what is right, and the results will always be positive. Though it may be hard to do at times, staying true to yourself and your morals is what is important. ( )
  aquinn | Mar 6, 2018 |
On the fifteenth of May, in the Jungle of Nool, in the heat of the day, in the cool of the pool, he was splashing...enjoying the jungle's great joys...when Horton the elephant heard a small noise.
A person's a person, no matter how small.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800788, Hardcover)

Surely among the most lovable of all Dr. Seuss creations, Horton the Elephant represents kindness, trustworthiness, and perseverance--all wrapped up, thank goodness, in a comical and even absurd package. Horton hears a cry for help from a speck of dust, and spends much of the book trying to protect the infinitesimal creatures who live on it from the derision and trickery of other animals, who think their elephant friend has gone quite nutty. But worse is in store: an eagle carries away the clover in which Horton has placed the life-bearing speck, and "let that small clover drop somewhere inside / of a great patch of clovers a hundred miles wide!" Horton wins in the end, after persuading the "Who's" to make as much noise as possible and prove their existence. This classic is not only fun, but a great way to introduce thoughtful children to essentially philosophical questions. How, after all, are we so sure there aren't invisible civilizations floating by on every mote? (Ages 4 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:43 -0400)

A city of Whos on a speck of dust are threatened with destruction until the smallest Who of all helps convince Horton's friends that Whos really exist.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,454,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible