To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers

To Be Taught, If Fortunate (edition 2019)

by Becky Chambers (Author)

"At the turn of the twenty-second century, scientists make a breakthrough in human spaceflight. Through a revolutionary method known as somaforming, astronauts can survive in hostile environments off Earth using synthetic biological supplementations. They can produce antifreeze in subzero temperatures, absorb radiation and convert it for food, and conveniently adjust to the pull of different gravitational forces. With the fragility of the body no longer a limiting factor, human beings are at last able to journey to neighboring exoplanets long known to harbor life. A team of these explorers, Ariadne O'Neill and her three crewmates, are hard at work in a planetary system fifteen light-years from Sol, on a mission to ecologically survey four habitable worlds. But as Ariadne shifts through both form and time, the culture back on Earth has also been transformed. Faced with the possibility of returning to a planet that has forgotten those who have left, Ariadne begins to chronicle the story of the wonders and dangers of her mission, in the hope that someone back home might still be listening."--… (more)
Member:evareads
Title:To Be Taught, If Fortunate
Authors:Becky Chambers (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (2019), 176 pages
Tags:science fiction

Work Information

To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers

Recently added bybanrions, private library, shmerica, sianhopper, word-whimsy, willstarr, sdvorak

Quite a change from her Small Angry Planet universe. This one is much closer to hard sci-fi, and quite a good premise. ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
Diese Novelle habe ich am Ende des letzten Jahres angefangen und Neujahr abgeschlossen. Ich mag Novellen genau so gerne wie richtig dicke Wälzer. Aber mit dieser hatte ich Probleme. Mir fehlte einfach der rote Faden - die Figuren waren interessant angelegt, blieben mir aber fremd, weil ich sie nur durch die Augen der Tagebuch schreibenden Technikerin zu sehen bekam.

Nicht wirklich zufrieden war ich auch mit der Menge an Sachinformationen, die im Zusammenhang mit der Erforschung und potentieller Besiedelung neuer Planeten stehen. Ich liebe gut recherchierte Bücher, aber das war mir hier ein wenig zu viel und ich habe an einigen Stellen nicht einmal verstanden, warum die Ich-Erzählerin etwas für aufschreibenswert hielt, abgesehen von der Tatsache, dass die Autorin es den Lesern nahebringen wollte.

Aber zum Positiven: Die Sprache war gewohnt schön, das Buch steckte voller Ideen, ist, wie oben schon erwähnt, gut recherchiert und an einigen Stellen musste ich lächeln, weil die Autorin Fehler, die mir in anderen SF-Geschichten aufgefallen sind, bewusst vermied und erklärte.

In Summe sicher nicht das beste, was ich von Becky Chambers gelesen habe, aber nichts, was mich von zukünftigen Büchern dieser Autorin abschrecken würde.
  Ellemir | Nov 9, 2021 |
Ariadne O'Neill and her shipmates are exploring the four planets orbiting a red dwarf when they make a remarkable discovery.

The planets are fascinatingly different from each other and I hugely enjoyed these strange new worlds and the explorers' efforts to have the minimum possible impact on each one. I must admit I found the major discovery at the end of the book and the way it changed their decision about what to do next a bit of an anti-climax. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Nov 4, 2021 |
I found the book intriguing. The story explores what happens to these travelers as their bodies change as they adapt to the environment s of the new planets and as events on Earth change When they return to Earth will either group recognize the other? Will the inhabitants of Earth even value the new knowledge of the these explorers bring back?

.The story is written in the form of a Diary / mission log from the perspective of the pilot of the mission. I was captivated by both the science and the exploits of the crew on new planets. Chambers does and excellent job in showing the difficulty of code switching scientists must go through in translating scientific discoveries into layman’s language.

It’s set in universe where the governments of the world have all but abandoned the exploration of space. That job is now left to the private sector and is internationally crowd funded

Long duration spaceships are sent out to survey planets in a given sector of the galaxy. Man women are put into hibernation during the travel time between star systems and while hibernating they are genetically modified to explore the plants of that solar system.

Mission control on earth continuously sends updates on mission parameters and the changes that that earth has gone through since their last communication. Then suddenly those Messages stop. The question is what do the explorers do next.
  Cataloger623 | Oct 24, 2021 |
The book follows a group of astronauts as they explore three planets funded by the donations of the whole world. The book was a great mix of hard scifi with nice character studies of our three leads. The worlds they visited were fascinating and were conjured vividly with Becky Chambers’s prose. My only critique is I wished this could be an ongoing series instead of a short novella.
  Powerfuldragon | Oct 21, 2021 |
There’s a quiet beauty to Chambers’ writing that envelops you in her story and holds you tight until the very end. Proof that a novel doesn’t have to have hundreds of pages to be impressive.
added by g33kgrrl | editCulturefly, Natalie Xenos (Aug 8, 2019)

With technical prowess and outstanding visceral imagery, Chambers (the Wayfarer Series) packs an immense amount of story into a novella worthy of full-length praise.

Becky Chambersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aquan, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chambers, NikkiContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen, NatalieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressley, BrittanyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seeley, DaveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winans, AlyssaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Emily, who doesn't have to read this, but did make me think the right thing.
Please Read This

If you read nothing else we've sent home, please at least read this.
I know how much a world can change within the bookends of a lifetime.
The awesome, fragile humility of knowing you're the only human around for miles. (p. 30)
I didn't see a waste ... [in] that vast, echoing flatland, I saw exactly what my soul had longed for. A quiet place. A blank slate. A reality in which everything held still for however long I needed it to. It was not exciting, but neither was it frightening. It was not compelling, but neither was it overwhelming. It was, pure and simple. (p. 116)
As the Secretary General of the United Nations, an organisation of one hundred and forty seven member states who represent almost all of the human inhabitants of the planet Earth, I send greeting on behalf of the people of our planet. We step out of our solar system into the universe seeking only peace and friendship - to teach, if we are called upon; "to be taught, if" we are "fortunate." We know full well that our planet and all its inhabitants are but a small part of this immense universe that surrounds us, and it is with humility and hope that we take this step.

- Former UN Secretary General Kurt Waldheim, 1977, as recorded on the Voyager Golden Record

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,586,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible