To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers

To Be Taught, If Fortunate (edition 2019)

by Becky Chambers (Author)

1,61812011,067 (4.14)90
Fiction. Science Fiction. LGBTQIA+ (Fiction.) HTML:

"Extraordinary . . . A future sci-fi masterwork in a new and welcome tradition." â?? Joanne Harris, author of Chocolat

A stand-alone science fiction novella from the award-winning, bestselling, critically-acclaimed author of the Wayfarer series.

At the turn of the twenty-second century, scientists make a breakthrough in human spaceflight. Through a revolutionary method known as somaforming, astronauts can survive in hostile environments off Earth using synthetic biological supplementations. They can produce antifreeze in subzero temperatures, absorb radiation and convert it for food, and conveniently adjust to the pull of different gravitational forces. With the fragility of the body no longer a limiting factor, human beings are at last able to journey to neighboring exoplanets long known to harbor life.

A team of these explorers, Ariadne O'Neill and her three crewmates, are hard at work in a planetary system fifteen light-years from Sol, on a mission to ecologically survey four habitable worlds. But as Ariadne shifts through both form and time, the culture back on Earth has also been transformed. Faced with the possibility of returning to a planet that has forgotten those who have left, Ariadne begins to chronicle the story of the wonders and dangers of her mission, in the hope that someone back home might still be listening.… (more)

Member:evareads
Title:To Be Taught, If Fortunate
Authors:Becky Chambers (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (2019), 176 pages
Tags:science fiction

Work Information

To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers

Recently added byrocks009, LeafyLemons, Brabbelback, Thalia, hammerbolt, private library, hmpcabral, biblio_creep, pilii

On first reading, I was disappointed because I wanted something just like her trilogy, which I loved. On second reading, without that expectation, I appreciated it as something quite different. ( )
  Abcdarian | May 18, 2024 |
very good; except for the ending (hated it); excellent writing and world-building based on known science. It does give a lot to think about, though, philosophically speaking. ( )
  Dorothy2012 | Apr 22, 2024 |
Tengo mucho que leer en esta vida, muchos autores que conocer. Pero de momento Becky Chambers es ya una de mis autoras favoritas.

Cada novela suya me lleva por un mundo de emociones y esperanza. El modo en que explica una historia y construye a sus personajes me tiene fascinado.

Me lo he pasado pipa con esta novela corta. Quiero más de todo. ( )
  Cabask | Mar 27, 2024 |
This book was really great... right up until the end. It's beautifully written, and it's a good book, but my personal preference is for less... ambiguous endings. I don't need EVERYTHING tied up in a neat bow, but I really don't like "Lady and the Tiger" endings. That's simply personal preference though. Otherwise the book was so great, that the ending was proportionally disappointing to me. ( )
  ardaiel | Mar 4, 2024 |
Such a bingable and immersive story! This book really reminded me of why I love sci-fi so much: authors truly get the chance to stretch their imagination and come up with futures, planets, sciences, and all kinds of things that are unfamiliar or new to the reader. Add that to the coziness of this tightly knit crew and the result of one hell of a book. Just really what I wanted to read right now! ( )
  deborahee | Feb 23, 2024 |
There’s a quiet beauty to Chambers’ writing that envelops you in her story and holds you tight until the very end. Proof that a novel doesn’t have to have hundreds of pages to be impressive.
added by g33kgrrl | editCulturefly, Natalie Xenos (Aug 8, 2019)

With technical prowess and outstanding visceral imagery, Chambers (the Wayfarer Series) packs an immense amount of story into a novella worthy of full-length praise.

Becky Chambersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aquan, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chambers, NikkiContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen, NatalieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressley, BrittanyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seeley, DaveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winans, AlyssaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Emily, who doesn't have to read this, but did make me think the right thing.
Please Read This

If you read nothing else we've sent home, please at least read this.
I know how much a world can change within the bookends of a lifetime.
The awesome, fragile humility of knowing you're the only human around for miles. (p. 30)
I didn't see a waste ... [in] that vast, echoing flatland, I saw exactly what my soul had longed for. A quiet place. A blank slate. A reality in which everything held still for however long I needed it to. It was not exciting, but neither was it frightening. It was not compelling, but neither was it overwhelming. It was, pure and simple. (p. 116)
As the Secretary General of the United Nations, an organisation of one hundred and forty seven member states who represent almost all of the human inhabitants of the planet Earth, I send greeting on behalf of the people of our planet. We step out of our solar system into the universe seeking only peace and friendship - to teach, if we are called upon; "to be taught, if" we are "fortunate." We know full well that our planet and all its inhabitants are but a small part of this immense universe that surrounds us, and it is with humility and hope that we take this step.

- Former UN Secretary General Kurt Waldheim, 1977, as recorded on the Voyager Golden Record

Fiction. Science Fiction. LGBTQIA+ (Fiction.) HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,071,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible