The Chocolate War (Readers Circle) by Robert…

The Chocolate War (Readers Circle) (original 1974; edition 2004)

by Robert Cormier

Member:jmisurek
Title:The Chocolate War (Readers Circle)
Authors:Robert Cormier
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2004), Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:YA lit

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (1974)

English (177)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (179)
Young Jerry Renault just wants to be a part of the school. He wants to be on the football team, make friends, and be one of the guys, but when an annual fundraiser comes around to sell chocolates, he is roped in my a secret society of boys that control the school behind the scenes.

Set in a fictional all boys Catholic school, the story follows this secret organization that manipulates the student body to the point of creating a mob against Jerry. Full of realistic high school characters and the teacher all students love to hate, Robert Cormier pushes the boundaries on young adult fiction earning his novel a place on the ALA's "Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books in 2000-2009."

For more on The Chocolate War ( )
  CJ82487 | Mar 20, 2018 |
While reading this book, I found myself sympathizing with Jerry. He tried standing up for what he believed in till the very end, but it seemed to not be enough in an environment hell bent on getting him to conform. I felt Jerry’s struggle and pain and had tears in my eyes even after flipping the last page. ( )
  Anisadara36 | Feb 19, 2018 |
ALA BBYA; RGG: Often included in Middle School Language Arts curriculums--portrayal of adolescent culture at a small boys parochial high school. Narrated by several individual characters, twisting plot lines, very dark.
  rgruberhighschool | Nov 17, 2017 |
I picked this up from the library's ebook service and was quite surprised to see that it was published in 1974. Usually ebooks are either much more recent than that,or much earlier. It's good to see that progress is being made in converting late twentieth century books into ebook form and making them available to the library system.

I didn't know what to expect from this, never having heard of Robert Cormier, but it's an excellent book. In many ways it reminded me of John Le Carré's writing - the documenting of an individual's struggle against the expected norms, the controlling sociopathic character of Archie Costello and the power plays between the members of the Vigil and the superbly creepy acting Principal, Brother Leon.

I think Cormier is going to be similar to Le Carré for me in that I can't read books like this back-to-back (I begin to lose faith in human nature if I try), but I will definitely be picking up more of them in the future. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
Boy, did I have a reaction to this book, and NOT a positive one. I had heard so many good things about this book recently from different reviewers that I wanted to try it. It was something that I missed because I'm at least a generation older than most of the reviewers, so I wanted to see what all the hub bub was about.
What a terrible message this books sends to the young people that are reading it: bullies win, most teachers are weak and inept, the little guy loses. What a downer. I'm glad I didn't read it when I was impressionable. I can see why so many publishers turned this book down.
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |

Robert Cormierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Flieger, RainerIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reitsma-Bakker, MoonjeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taler, FriedrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They murdered him.
In bed once more, Jerry lay without moving, trying to summon sleep. Listening to his father's snores, he thought of how his father was actually sleeping his life away, sleeping even when he was awake, not really alive. And how about me? What was it the guy on the Common had said the other day, his chin resting on the Volkswagen like some grotesque John the Baptist? You're missing a lot of things in the world.
It was like a fart in his ear.
Do I dare disturb the universe?

A young adult novel set in a parochial school. Jerry Renault does not want to participate in the school's chocolate sales. The headmaster, who has reasons of his own to want the sale to be successful, calls in the school's gang and asks them to put pressure on Jerry to make him conform. The results are catastrophic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375829873, Paperback)

Does Jerry Renault dare to disturb the universe? You wouldn't think that his refusal to sell chocolates during his school's fundraiser would create such a stir, but it does; it's as if the whole school comes apart at the seams. To some, Jerry is a hero, but to others, he becomes a scapegoat--a target for their pent-up hatred. And Jerry? He's just trying to stand up for what he believes, but perhaps there is no way for him to escape becoming a pawn in this game of control; students are pitted against other students, fighting for honor--or are they fighting for their lives? In 1974, author Robert Cormier dared to disturb our universe when this book was first published. And now, with a new introduction by the celebrated author, The Chocolate War stands ready to shock a new group of teen readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:41 -0400)

A high school freshman discovers the devastating consequences of refusing to join in the school's annual fund raising drive and arousing the wrath of the school bullies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,425,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible