Cold Storage: A Novel by David Koepp

Cold Storage: A Novel (edition 2019)

by David Koepp (Author)

For readers of Andy Weir and Noah Hawley comes an astonishing debut by the screenwriter of Jurassic Park: a wild and terrifying adventure about three strangers who must work together to contain a highly contagious, deadly organism When Pentagon bioterror operative Roberto Diaz was sent to investigate a suspected biochemical attack, he found something far worse: a highly mutative organism capable of extinction-level destruction. He contained it and buried it in cold storage deep beneath a little-used military repository. Now, after decades of festering in a forgotten sub-basement, the specimen has found its way out and is on a lethal feeding frenzy.  Only Diaz knows how to stop it. He races across the country to help two unwitting security guards--one an ex-con, the other a single mother.  Over one harrowing night, the unlikely trio must figure out how to quarantine this horror again.  All they have is luck, fearlessness, and a mordant sense of humor.  Will that be enough to save all of humanity?… (more)
Member:studlybookworm
Title:Cold Storage: A Novel
Authors:David Koepp (Author)
Info:Ecco (2019), 320 pages

Cold Storage by David Koepp

Okay, so the cover of David Koepp's new novel Cold Storage pretty much telegraphs a sci-fi read. And yes, there is a terrifying fungus that has lain dormant for twenty five years that has managed to escape the containment facility it was stored in and is threatening human kind.....whew.

Now, sci-fi is not my usual genre. But - Cold Storage is so much more than it's premise! It's non stop action - and its funny. I know - didn't expect that, did you? Either did I. But, what this book such a great read for me was the characters and the dialogue.

The beginning of the book introduces us to the both the fungus and two 'bioterror' agents charged with containing and destroying the threat. Koepp's characters are richly fleshed out with lots and lots of detail. And as we fast forward twenty five years, we meet the two young security guards who will cross paths with the deadly fungus. Oh my gosh, I loved Teacake, the male security guard. His inner thoughts and out loud dialogues were so much fun to read. His partner Naomi is the calmer of the two and they played well off each other.

Every player in the book, no matter how fleeting their time, gets that same detail. So yes, I was caught up in the page turning, non stop action for sure. But it was those characters and that detail that had me staying up late to finish this one.

Koepp's debut novel makes for entertaining, addictive reading. And here's the reason why - Koepp is a noted screenwriter, having penned some films you might have seen.....Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible, Spider-Man and Panic Room to name just a few. Yep, Cold Storage reads like a movie. And I can absolutely see this one making it to the screen.

Completely far fetched, but so much fun to read. ( )
  Twink | Oct 22, 2019 |
Cold Storage
by David Koepp
2019
Harper Collins
4.5 /5.0

In 1987, two from the US Nuclear Defense Agency, are sent to a remote area of Western Australia, Kiwirrkurra, where debris from a Skylab Satellite fell. They find an unknown but deadly fungus, capable of bloating a body until it burst and no one left alive. Cleaning up the mess, they preserve a sample of the fungus and bury it under a cave in the Missouri River bluffs.
It's now 2019, the military has sealed the lowest level of the cave and sold the rest to a self storage facility. And the fungus has slowly found it's way out. Anyone coming near the fungus or near anyone with the fungus will become infected....but no one can survive alone..
David Koepp is best known as the screenwriter for 'Jurassic Park', has delivered a debut novel that is intriguing, terrifying and yet, plausible....excellent read. ( )
  over.the.edge | Oct 7, 2019 |
A quick, fun read. Teacake and Naomi work as security in a storage unit where very strange things are happening. It starts with an alarm going off, which leads them deep underground in a government storage facility. Years earlier, Roberto Diaz faced off against an alarming biohazard. Now it's back! ( )
  dcoward | Sep 19, 2019 |
A blend of Robin Cook and Stephen King. (I could have gone with less Stephen King.) Suspenseful. Definitely horror genre. David Koepp is the screenwriter of numerous films - "Jurassic Park", "Mission: Impossible," "Spider-Man," etc. This is his first novel and it shows with the lack of character development. But the characters are likeable – most of them. The dialogue is great, loads of action, and there are actually quite a few comical moments mixed in there. ( )
  BettyTaylor56 | Aug 28, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,945,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible