The Crucible (Penguin Plays) by Arthur…

The Crucible (Penguin Plays) (original 1953; edition 1976)

by Arthur Miller

Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:The Crucible (Penguin Plays)
Authors:Arthur Miller
Info:Penguin Books (1976), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 152 pages
Tags:Plays

The Crucible by Arthur Miller (Author) (1953)

English (108)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  All languages (113)
A masterpiece in the history of Theatre...how can one put into words all the feelings that come to surface when you read The Crucible? What makes it even more shuttering, is the fact that it has always been relevant to any era, because it represents the fear in front of something we cannot understand, and the need to create witch-hunts in order to cover up our own faults as human beings and as members of our socities.

John Proctor is the Everyman, he stands for every human being that is -rightfully- afraid in front of the face of an inhuman justice, being torchured over imaginary faults and mistakes. What elevates him to greatness, though, is his fight with himself and the way he wins it over, desperately battling to preserve his honour, his ''name''. ''I have given you my soul, leave me my name!'' is the ultimate cry for respect and understanding in a society that has lost all elements of compassion.

I wonder, is our time so very different than those by-gone eras? Are we more understanding now, more open-minded? Do we find the respect we ask for? Do we earn it? I fear we won't like the answer... ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
Hard to follow , although reading isn't what you should do with dramatic texts. I did get the McCarthy era parallels, but much of the details remained unseen - or unheard. Despite the particular context in which it was written, definitely a timeless work., I'm afraid to say.
  Kindlegohome | May 8, 2018 |
A rare case where the film was true to the book (or play in this case). Easy to read but could be very difficult to follow if you are not familiar with the characters. There are many characters and they all play significant roles. Though not 100% historically accurate it is still beautifully retold in a way that's much more reader friendly. This is one of those classics that everyone should read at least once. ( )
2 vote TheReadingMermaid | May 6, 2018 |
Glad i didn't live during the Salem Witch Trials ( )
  tpixie | Apr 3, 2018 |
I read this for my Classic Literature Book Club this month. The play itself was really pretty boring. Just a lot of back-and-forth dialogue with questions and accusations. Being a pastor's wife, I did find some of the religious themes interesting. I actually enjoyed reading the long introduction more than I did the play itself. There were a lot of characters to try to keep straight. And there was pretty much no action at all; just a lot of people talking. We heard about executions, but only in a vague sense. I'm not saying I wanted to read the gory details of someone being hanged, but the play needed something somewhat exciting to happen. And the ending was very anticlimactic. I can't decided if I want to see the movie adaptation or not. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |

Miller, ArthurAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bigsby, ChristopherIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watts, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, E. R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mary
A small upper bedroom in the home of Reverend Samuel Parris, Salem, Massachusetts, in the spring of the year 1692.
A Note on the Historical Accuracy of This Play

This play is not history in the sense in which the word is used by the academic historian.
PROCTOR: I have trouble enough without I come five mile to hear him preach only hellfire and bloody damnation. Take it to heart, Mr. Parris. There are many others who stay away from church these days because you hardly ever mention God any more.
PARRIS: There is a party in this church. I am not blind; there is a faction and a party.

PROCTOR: Against you?
PUTNAM: Against him and all authority.
PROCTOR: Why, then I must find it and join it.
PARRIS. Why could there not have been poppets hid where no one ever saw them?

PROCOTR. There might also be a dragon with five legs in my house, but no one has ever seen it.

Arthur Miller's, The Cucible, is a play that is based on the tragic event in history of the Salem Witch Trials in Salem, Massachusetts. Presenting the themes of right and wrong, truth and decit, and prejudice and accepance, The Crucible causes its readers to reflect on their own morals and standards along with informing them of a terrible moment in America's past where many innocent people lost their lives. I really enjoyed this book; and the ideas and challenges it presents seem to be very valuable and insighful.

Based on historical people and real events, Arthur Miller's play uses the destructive power of socially sanctioned violence unleashed by the rumors of witchcraft as a powerful parable about McCarthyism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:08 -0400)

"I believe that the reader will discover here the essential nature of one of the strangest and most awful chapters in human history," Arthur Miller wrote in an introduction to The Crucible, his classic play about the witch-hunts and trials in seventeenth-century Salem, Massachusetts. Based on historical people and real events, Miller's drama is a searing portrait of a community engulfed by hysteria. In the rigid theocracy of Salem, rumors that women are practicing witchcraft galvanize the town's most basic fears and suspicions; and when a young girl accuses Elizabeth Proctor of being a witch, self-righteous church leaders and townspeople insist that Elizabeth be brought to trial. The ruthlessness of the prosecutors and the eagerness of neighbor to testify against neighbor brilliantly illuminate the destructive power of socially sanctioned violence. Written in 1953, The Crucible is a mirror Miller uses to reflect the anti-communist hysteria inspired by Senator Joseph McCarthy's witch-hunts in the United States. Within the text itself, Miller contemplates the parallels, writing: "Political opposition ... is given an inhumane overlay, which then justifies the abrogation of all normally applied customs of civilized behavior. A political policy is equated with moral right, and opposition to it meets with diabolical malevolence."… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,674,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible