The Outsiders (1967)

by S. E. Hinton

The struggle of three brothers to stay together after their parent's death and their quest for identity among the conflicting values of their adolescent society.

English (576)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All languages (580)
This is an interesting coming of age story, I didn't get around to it in high school, it was a quick read as an adult, I'm curious to check out the movie now. ( )
  Pepperwings | Nov 21, 2022 |
The story of a group of boys from the wrong side of the tracks, Greasers, who clash with the rich kids, Socs. After a major fight ensues, and one of the popular boys is killed, Ponyboy and Darryl must go on the run to protect themselves from retaliation and possibly going to jail. While away, they become eros when they save many children from a burning church. But this does not erase what was previously done and they must eventually answer for it.
This book demonstrates the struggles of kids from different classes, how they interact with each other and how, in the end, no matter where you grew up or live, people can inherently be good. ( )
  DanRosas | Nov 17, 2022 |
I absolutely loved this book! I normally don't like to read these type of books but this one touched me, and I think it's something that everyone should read. It speaks to most every person because there's always someone that can relate to it. ( )
  EvelynNygren | Nov 17, 2022 |
So that's where that came from!!! All these years and I never knew "Stay Golden, Pony Boy" came from this book!!!!!
It's probably not fair for me to review this one. Most people read this in their teens.....my teen years are more than a few years past, so take that for what it's worth.
I saw this at B&N all dressed up in it's anniversary packaging and realized I had never read it....so I did.
The fact that a teenager wrote it is incredible!! She did a fabulous job...the reason behind the 3 stars. The story was entertaining. It gives you a perspective from the "other side." What is really gave me was the takeaway that all people are the same. We act differently and try to be a certain way, but stripped bare, we are all the same. Why can this not be understood? So sad that a teen in the 60's could see this and now 50 years later we continue to beat each other down and place the "my gang is better than your gang" bullshit and can't see that we all really just want the same things. We all want love and acceptance. We want to belong somewhere. We want support. We want to be seen and treated as equal. The question that begs is, if we all want basically the same things, why in the world can't we get there? Maybe those who read it in another 50 years will have that answer. ( )
  Master275 | Nov 17, 2022 |
The Outsiders is a fantastic book! The Greasers and the Socs, two competing factions, are the subject of the book's narrative. This novel appeals to children of all ages. Every child is similar to one another in some manner, and this book teaches you that it is irrelevant where you live. The Greasers are the primary subject of the novel. Each character is unique and distinct, and together they make for a loveable, wacky, and amusing group. Every single adolescent should read this book, in my opinion. The Outsiders' story is a unique one that you should read. ( )
1 vote Monica2001 | Nov 9, 2022 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

Hinton, S. E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Illum, PerIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keson, Britt-KatrinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picoult, JodiIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plesner, MetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

This book is about a neighborhood gang, called the greasers, that gets into a fight with another group and one of the other groups members is killed by the greasers and now the two that killed the boy are on the run. While they are in hiding, they try to change their appearance, and they get help from their friends and fellow gang members. While in hiding, the two boys tried to save a class that went into the burning building where the boys were staying and they got seriously hurt in the process, and came very close to dying.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,943,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible