The Outsiders (1967)

by S. E. Hinton

The struggle of three brothers to stay together after their parent's death and their quest for identity among the conflicting values of their adolescent society.

English (557)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All languages (561)
This story follows the life of 14 yr old Ponyboy and his struggles of dealing with grief, loss, and finding his place in the world. There's a lot of conflict between the greasers and the socs (rich kids from the other side of town), and during a fight Ponyboy and Johnny have to run away after Johnny stabs one of the socs. Later on after another fight and losing two of his close friends, Ponyboy is trying to put his life back together and find purpose again. This story takes class struggles, grief, loss, and perseverance and puts them together in a story that young readers can understand and learn from. This book would be a great addition to my future classroom. ( )
  Marie.Kubeczka | Nov 19, 2021 |
This book follows the story of the Greasers, a group of people that are on the wrong side of trouble. This book is perfect for kids because they can relate to anyone. The Greasers are a family for people that don't have one, they care for each other more than what a gang loves their own, they are more than a gang, they are family. Students not only enjoy this book, but it gets them excited for reading. Book is interesting enough to keep attention as well as get kids emotionally involved into a cast of characters that still resonate with me today. ( )
  ORB002 | Nov 5, 2021 |
The Outsiders is an amazing book. The book tells a story about two rival groups, the Greasers and the Socs. Every kid can relate to this book in some way. Every kid is the same in some way and this book teaches you that your address does not matter. The main focus in the book is on the Greasers. The relationship between the Greasers is so incredible. They all care so much for one another. Each character is special and different and they all form a fun, crazy and loving group. I would definitely recommend this book to every single teenager. The story of the Outsiders is a special story that is a must read.
  erush23 | Nov 2, 2021 |
I had never read this book before! This is a novel worthy of its designation as a classic. The Outsiders is a gritty portrayal of class warfare and gang life that remains timeless in many regards. Hinton's characters are especially good. There are no good guys or bad guys. The nuance is impressive, especially since this was written while she was still in high school.

I checked out this ebook from my local library. ( )
  ladycato | Jun 3, 2021 |
I read The Outsiders in 8th grade and I could not stand it. It was such a chore to read. But, after seeing a play version 5 years later, I have a much higher appreciation for the book. ( )
  BiDisasterNerd | May 22, 2021 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

Hinton, S. E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Illum, PerIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keson, Britt-KatrinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picoult, JodiIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plesner, MetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

This book is about a neighborhood gang, called the greasers, that gets into a fight with another group and one of the other groups members is killed by the greasers and now the two that killed the boy are on the run. While they are in hiding, they try to change their appearance, and they get help from their friends and fellow gang members. While in hiding, the two boys tried to save a class that went into the burning building where the boys were staying and they got seriously hurt in the process, and came very close to dying.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,616,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible