The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders (original 1967; edition 1988)

by S. E. Hinton (Author)

The struggle of three brothers to stay together after their parent's death and their quest for identity among the conflicting values of their adolescent society.
Member:UTTUATyler
Title:The Outsiders
Authors:S. E. Hinton (Author)
Info:Speak (1988), Edition: Reprint, 192 pages

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (1967)

Lending

Checked out 2021-09-20 — Due 2021-10-04 — Overdue

English (554)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All languages (558)
I had never read this book before! This is a novel worthy of its designation as a classic. The Outsiders is a gritty portrayal of class warfare and gang life that remains timeless in many regards. Hinton's characters are especially good. There are no good guys or bad guys. The nuance is impressive, especially since this was written while she was still in high school.

I checked out this ebook from my local library. ( )
  ladycato | Jun 3, 2021 |
I read The Outsiders in 8th grade and I could not stand it. It was such a chore to read. But, after seeing a play version 5 years later, I have a much higher appreciation for the book. ( )
  BiDisasterNerd | May 22, 2021 |
Not changing my rating because I freaking love this book. (I mean seriously, Ponyboy is always close to mind, with his grief and loss even closer.) But it seems we have another instance of an author deciding to comment on a story once it's finished and done. So let me just put this here for all the Hintons and Rowlings and so many others who just can't resist commenting:
1) Once you put your pen down, it's not your story anymore. It's ours.
2) Don't tell me how to read your freaking book. This will never go well for you.
3) I repeat: The text is all that matters. Once the book is done, the author is just another reader.
4) It would appear that many of you don't know your own characters half so well as your readers do.
5) Don't assume you know who your readers are. Don't ever assume only children or only girls or only boys read your books. Don't ever call your readers little girls if they're mostly over twelve.
6) If you say something stupid on Twitter, probably don't start blocking people who come out of the woodwork to tell you you're a fool.

Anyway, Ponyboy Johnny forever. Peace, out. ( )
  amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |
This book is about a group of young men who feel as if they are outsiders of their community, hence the title. They each have their own struggles throughout the story but mainly focuses on Ponyboy Curtis and his struggle with right and wrong. The reason behind picking this book is that it could help students realize some of the struggles that their peers might face and also help the students who can relate to this story line. This book will have the students engaged as well due to it being centered around kids their age. ( )
  Brooke115 | Apr 30, 2021 |
Twelve short chapters of pure heart. The only thing to do is to read it again. ( )
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

Hinton, S. E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Illum, PerIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keson, Britt-KatrinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picoult, JodiIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plesner, MetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

This book is about a neighborhood gang, called the greasers, that gets into a fight with another group and one of the other groups members is killed by the greasers and now the two that killed the boy are on the run. While they are in hiding, they try to change their appearance, and they get help from their friends and fellow gang members. While in hiding, the two boys tried to save a class that went into the burning building where the boys were staying and they got seriously hurt in the process, and came very close to dying.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,313,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible