High School by Sara Quin

High School (edition 2019)

by Sara Quin (Author)

High School is the revelatory and unique coming-of-age story of Sara and Tegan Quin, identical twins from Calgary, Alberta, who grew up at the height of grunge and rave culture in the nineties, well before they became the celebrated musicians and global LGBTQ icons we know today. While grappling with their identity and sexuality, often alone, they also faced academic meltdown, their parents’ divorce, and the looming pressure of what might come after high school. Written in alternating chapters from both Tegan's and Sara’s points of view, the book is a raw account of the drugs, alcohol, love, music, and friendship they explored in their formative years. A transcendent story of first loves and first songs, High School captures the tangle of discordant and parallel memories of two sisters who grew up in distinct ways even as they lived just down the hall from each another. This is the origin story of Tegan and Sara.… (more)
Member:joneshiro
Title:High School
Authors:Sara Quin (Author)
Info:MCD (2019), 384 pages

High School by Sara Quin

I loved this!! Highly recommended if you're a Tegan and Sara fan especially of course. I in particular recommend the audiobook, which is read by Tegan and Sara and includes snippets of their recordings from high school.

The book is engaging, vividly written, and provides a welcome depiction of Real Queer People coming to understand themselves, as well as teen/sibling experiences in general. ( )
  blueshiftofdeath | Sep 9, 2020 |
Soooo that's how the other half lives, huh?

This memoir goes through Tegan and Sara's teen lives: endless parties and drug trips, girlfriends, coming out (sort of), and finding their music - and miraculously succeeding with it. While it wasn't the most outrageous thing out there (I can only read so many drug stories), I couldn't put down the constant carousel of crushes, confusion, and teen clumsiness in acknowledging - then accepting - their sexuality. There were many parts in there that I could connect to more than any piece of LGBT fiction. (Especially having a sibling who seems to be 'copying' your sexuality.)

While I've mainly just admired these two for being Canadians Who Actually Did The Thing, I tore through it, so I think this will really be perfect for fans - seeing how they got their start not exactly by being scrappy and ruthless, but by being determined, supported by their family and friends, and just damn talented (and with a very good but now-incomprehensible system of recording things onto cassettes). ( )
  Chyvalrys | Aug 5, 2020 |
I got this book based on a review I read somewhere, at one point which obviously hadn't stuck with me at the point I actually read the book.

What I remembered about the book before reading it: high school, coming of age, 90s!
What I didn't remember until I was actually reading it: twins, semi-famous musicians.

If you're coming into this as a fan of Tegan & Sara and/or an LGBTQian coming of age story, you'll probably have more appreciation of this book If you're looking for 90s high school nostalgia, skip it.

Other caveats for those considering:
1) Rampant casual drug use depicted. Seriously, pretty much every memory/chapter involves getting high.
2) Lots of casual f-bombing. Maybe you talk(ed) that way to and around your parents. I didn't/don't. There's so much that after awhile, it deadens you.
3) There's a shallow rave-y, club kid vibe and undertone throughout. That's fine at first, but then it goes stale because there's nothing deeper. No substance to speak of.
4) If you're looking for a professional musician success story to inspire you, you might be disappointed. Almost by accident they figure out they have songwriting/guitar talent, the book ends on the cusp of early success. This book doesn't really have much to say or a particular point of view...about anything, really.

I don't resent or regret the time spent reading this, but now back to the TBR pile with a thank u, next. ( )
  angiestahl | Mar 5, 2020 |
High School by Tegan and Sara

I guess this needs said, Tegan and Sara are lesbian twin sister rockstars from Canada. I told a few people I was reading the book and they didn't know who I was talking about...which surprised me cause such a large portion of my friends do...or so I thought. Anyway, this review is about their book.

I'm not sure when I first heard Tegan and Sarah. I know the album was their 2002 release, If It Was You, and it was some time before 2006 because I had picked up a copy of the Meg & Dia album, Something Real, hoping to find something comparable to Tegan and Sara. It wasn't. Not that Something Real wasn't good or enjoyable, but there's only one Tegan and Sara.

It was very exciting to hear they had penned a book. Musician books can be hit or miss between too real, too unreal or just too "cool, you're famous...guess people will pay to read what you say." High School got me from the start. I mean the title doesn't leave much to the imagination, but...they flesh it out quite nicely in the 350ish pages that fill the covers.

The format is interesting in that it changes between sisters from chapter-to-chapter. As they discuss their experience in high school in the mid-90's, including their favorite bands like Nirvana and Green Day, their clothing choices (ohhh how miss those high water pants, flannels and chain wallets) and their general lifestyle of parties, friends, broken homes...it was like reading my adolescence.

However, it wasn't exactly the same. As the intro blurb stated, they are lesbians and rockstars...and it's during the roughly four year period in this book they discovered, or admitted, these parts of themselves.

It was harrowing to read their struggle and confrontations as not just siblings, but twins, which always seems to produce a stronger push/pull than most other bonds. Then to have described the usual hormonal experimentation of youth that led to them truly exploring their feelings, their desire for love in the face of, what though not that long ago, was a very different time when it comes to homosexual relationships. And lastly, finding their passion for guitars and song writing and putting themselves fully on display with the strong lyrics and emotions that carry through their music to this day.

Not really sure what I was expecting from this book, bit definitely delivered...and then some. ( )
  Bricker | Oct 22, 2019 |

Sara Quinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Quin, Teganmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tegan and SaraAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,909,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible