Wicked Highland Ways (Highland Weddings Book 6)

by Mary Wine

931,531,868 (4.5)None
Brenda Grant's abusive first marriage taught her that she's better off on her own. But when her family threatens her freedom and demands that she remarry--to a man they've chosen--she makes a deal with a brawny Highland chief to escape. Bothan Gunn is smitten by the woman who won't be tamed. He's helped her before--but can he do so now, when Brenda's complicated past threatens their lives? With danger closing in, their only chance at love and survival is to escape to the heart of the Highlands.… (more)

Wicked Highland Ways (Highland Weddings Book 6) by Mary Wine is an awesome Scottish Romance. While, it is Book 6 in this series, it can be read as a stand alone. I would suggest the entire series, it's a great series. Set in 1570, Scotland and England.

"Highland Weddings Series:
Highland Spitfire (Book 1)
Highland Vixen (Book 2)
Highland Hellion (Book 3)
Highland Flame (Book 4)
Between a Highlander and a Hard Place (Book 5)
Wicked Highland Ways (Book 6)"

Be swept away into a mesmerizing, quick paced adventurous escapade, with lively dialogue, and simmering sensuality.
Come along with Brenda Grant, who has been abused and used by men her whole adulthood and Bothan Gunn, ChiefLaird of the Gunn clan, powerful and determined to protect and save Brenda from another arranged marriage to another abusive husband.
Danger, mistrust, deceit, betrayal, suspense, mystery, hatred, treachery, Royal edicts, a marriage arrangement, with heartwarming passion, joy, trust, love, and a HEA. Passionate and compelling! I loved Brenda throughout this entire series, always doing her duty and sacrificing her happiness for her family. Can she finally find her happiness with Laird Gunn?
Bothan, would do anything to have Brenda at his side, including going against a Queen. Readers will be taken back to a tumultuous time between Scotland and England. Ms. Wine brings readers into the lives of her characters, with her breathtaking scenery and her characterization of all within the story. I hate to see this mesmerizing and compelling series come to an end, but can't wait for her next epic series to began. Well done!!
A must read Scottish Romance by the talented Mary Wine.

"I voluntarily received a complimentary copy, however, these are my honest opinions. I was in no way required nor compensated to write a review."

Rating: 5
Heat rating: steamy
Reviewer: AprilR ( )
  tarenn | May 30, 2019 |
This was an excellent read, but as the end-of-series, it left something to be desired. That is one reason I didn’t give it a full five-stars – the other reason is that I got a little tired of the unyielding Brenda. I understood the trauma she’d been through, but she had some excellent examples of good men – like her cousin – to mitigate some of her distrust of men. Also, she never appreciated the fact that Bothan traveled all the way to England to save her – there was never a ‘thank you for saving me from a life of torture and degradation’. IMHO, she could have given in a bit earlier and moved things along so that there could be a nice epilogue that would include the other couples in the series. Maybe they could have been involved in the solution at the end if the author didn’t want to do an epilogue. It just needed something more for it to be the series finale.

Chief Bothan Gunn met and was attracted to Brenda Grant a previous book. He tried to forget her and select a bride from among the many whose fathers had offered them in marriage. A sweet, docile, biddable woman that would give him children, run his home and do as he bid. Nothing like Brenda Grant who is a spitfire. He just couldn't convince himself to choose any of them.
At the end of the last book, Between a Highlander and a Hard Place, the Scottish king had declared that Brenda had to travel to England to marry Galwell Scrope (don’t you love that name) in order to keep a coveted piece of property within the Campbell clan. Bothan promised Brenda’s cousin that he would rescue Brenda and assure that she didn’t marry the cruel Galwell.

This book opens with Brenda being escorted to England by soldiers of Queen Elizabeth Tudor of England – and Bothan following them and planning how to liberate Brenda. I absolutely loved the way the liberation occurred – and it gave a lot of insight into how shrewd and cunning Bothan is. I really liked Bothan. He is a really good and honorable man and Brenda was very lucky to have him. Too bad she didn’t acknowledge that fact until it was almost too late.

Brenda fights Bothan and her own feelings all the way back to Bothans home – where she is welcomed openly and lovingly by Bothan’s people. When Brenda is ‘stolen’ by Hamell Campbell, who intends to marry her because the Earl of Sutherland said he could, Bothan is off on another rescue mission – and this one may be even tougher than the last.

I didn’t like the Earl of Sutherland at all, but his son was good. The Earl’s decree only forced Bothan to yet again prove what a wiley and clever man he is.

I would definitely recommend this read, but as I said – I’d have appreciated something ‘more’ for a series finale. I adored Bothan and was so happy to see him finally get his HEA. I also liked Brenda, but not as much as Bothan.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ( )
  BarbaraRogers | May 18, 2019 |
Wicked Highland Ways is the sixth and “according to the author’s notes” this will be the final installment in the series and my heart is so sad in a way that we won’t get more books in this series because I definitely could see more potential for other characters. But also full of excitement to see what this author has in store for us in the future. If you are new to Mary Wine, well “have you been living under a rock?” because her books are fantastic and she writes the best highlander historical romances. I love the way she builds the world building, the humor, and the fun bantering we see in each book that comes from her. Wicked Highland Ways is one of my favorites of the series and I just breezed through this book so quickly and have no regrets.

Wicked Highland Ways begins with our heroine Brenda Grant, who is on a journey to England. In order to allow her cousin to keep the woman he loved, Brenda volunteered to marry a man in England. Brenda was already married once and even though she knows that this will be a match of political gain, she would do anything for family especially her cousin. But there is one tanglement….the highland laird Bothan Gunn. Bothan has been in love with Brenda for quite a while and now he is going to fight for her. But Brenda knows that this marriage has to happen, and even though she has felt a certain chemistry with Bothan, she also knows her duty and won’t sacrifice those she loves for Bothan. But when she arrives in England and in the court of the Queen, things don’t go exactly how she envisioned and before she realizes it she finds herself married to Bothan Gunn when her English fiancee showed his true colors of deceit and cowardice.

But Brenda’s life is about to get a bit more difficult, because a journey with Bothan Gunn won’t be any daisies or roses. There is plenty of sexual tension that rises between Bothan and Brenda, but the courting of a Scottish lass that is fiery tempered is not a easy fete but Bothan is up to the challenge. He wants Brenda for his own because of her tenacity, strength and courage. He wants a woman who will challenge him and push him to new levels and that is Brenda in every way. But what he doesn’t realize is in marrying Brenda, there will be other treacherous roads and he may lose the woman he loves unless he learns to be cunning and fight with every breath to keep her by his side…

I found Wicked Highland Ways to be a superb addition and a great finale to a series that has taken in some unique directions that I never expected when I started with book one. I have seen each book come out and seen the delight that romance readers have partaken in these books and loved every moment of seeing the growth of these characters and seeing Brenda get her book. Now this series I really do think needs to be read in order, there are certain plot points that are necessary or you might find yourself lost in a way. What I do recommend at least, is read book five” Between A Highlander and a Hard Place” to really get to know Brenda and the importance of her sacrifice to help out her cousin and his new wife and you will see the value of their relationship.

There was quite a bunch of delicious actions that take place in this book, but I first want to touch on the powerful chemistry that is written because WOWZERS. I am not sure I have read such intense chemistry in a historical romance in a long while, because this book gave me all the tingles down the spine. I was so drawn into their connection, and how these two just sizzle the moment that they are near each other. I was addicted to their fun bantering and they are equal matches for each other. You really see how right they are for each other. The hero wants a strong woman to stand by his side and the heroine has never had someone fight for her other than her cousin. But with her hellish previous marriage, she is wary of Bothan’s intentions. She does struggle with trusting in men, but there is something she knows that she can trust in Bothan and she finds that she wants to trust in him. But there are other dangers to these two and boy I wasn’t sure how they would get out of it but it did take some creativity and cunning on Bothan’s part and I didn’t quite expect to see this book play out the way that it does; but the last pages of the ending gave me all the feels that I have come to expect in a Mary Wine novel and I can’t wait to see what is up NEXT!! Because this author knows how to write an in depth historical romance. So hold on for this thrilling adventure that will take you across the moors of Scotland, through valleys and rivers, to delicious heights of sensuality and stimulating excitment! ( )
  addictofromance | May 11, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,651,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible