The Dutch House: A Novel by Ann Patchett

The Dutch House: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Ann Patchett (Author)

3,0202043,515 (4.09)245
At the end of the Second World War, Cyril Conroy combines luck and a single canny investment to begin an enormous real estate empire, propelling his family from poverty to enormous wealth. His first order of business is to buy a lavish estate in the suburbs outside of Philadelphia. Meant as a surprise for his wife, the house sets in motion the undoing of everyone he loves. The story is told by Cyril's son Danny, as he and his older sister, the brilliantly acerbic and self-assured Maeve, are exiled from the house where they grew up by their stepmother. The two wealthy siblings are thrown back into the poverty their parents had escaped from and find that all they have to count on is one another. It is this unshakable bond between them that both saves their lives and thwarts their futures.… (more)
Member:Jacsun
Title:The Dutch House: A Novel
Authors:Ann Patchett (Author)
Info:Harper (2019), Edition: 1st, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:to-read

Work Information

The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (shaunie)
    shaunie: The Dutch House is in some ways a slimmed down, more enjoyable Goldfinch.
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (Sandwich76)

English (203)  German (1)  All languages (204)
A beautifully written story of strength and family, leaving the reader with thoughts on forgiveness. Patchett so expertly covers a life span in The Dutch House. If one has a chance to also listen to Tom Hanks narration, one would be truly entertained. I was so very invested in this story. The example of deep loyalty will stay with me. ( )
  BONS | Jan 21, 2022 |
I've always found the cover of this book incredibly striking, and I think that's what lured me into reading this. Patchett's descriptions as always are perfect yet not too sharp, and her family stories are always intriguing enough to keep you reading yet realistic enough to keep you grounded in the story. I wanted to learn more about the Conroy family history along with Danny, and in that way it pushed me to continue reading to the end.

Unfortunately, I found the rest of the book didn't quite live up to expectations. I honestly didn't like any of the characters, with the exception of occasionally Maeve, and I found the plot itself to be one I'm not particularly interested in. I'm not going to spoil it, but I will say that if the back cover synopsis covered the narrator's journey, I don't think I would have picked this one up. I was honestly hoping for something more unique, and it didn't feel like that's what the reader is given here.

I can see why many are fans of Patchett's writing - I know I would be. I think I just haven't found the right one to convert me yet, as The Dutch House sadly wasn't it. ( )
  bumblybee | Jan 19, 2022 |
The Dutch House is about a pair of siblings and the house that has always loomed large in their life. I listened to the audiobook and Tom Hanks did an excellent job reading this book. Danny and Maeve were characters that I found myself constantly rooting for despite their flaws. The one theme that I took away from the book was the power of forgiveness and how moving forward people that did unforgivable things can later have a positive influence if you allow them to. It was an interesting story that kept me interested and looking forward to picking up the story again and again. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 11, 2022 |
The story of a dysfunctional family over a span of 50 years - first they lived in the Dutch House, then they didn't, and their obsession with it over those years is odd and disturbing but also redemptive in the end. The book slowed down in the middle section but ended in a lovely way that was very satisfying. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Jan 7, 2022 |
Loved the audio book read by Tom Hanks ( )
  JSpilman | Jan 4, 2022 |

Patchett, Annprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bilardello, RobinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frappat, HélèneTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hanks, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metsch, FritzDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saterstrom, NoahCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Patrick Ryan
The first time our father brought Andrea to the Dutch House, Sandy, our housekeeper, came to my sister's room and told us to come downstairs.
There are a few times in life when you leap up and the past that you'd been standing on falls away behind you, and the future you mean to land on is not yet in place, and for a moment you're suspended, knowing nothing and no one, not even yourself.

La mère part en Inde,
La belle-mère les jette dehors
Seule reste la maison
(Tiercelin)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,168,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible