When we were Warriors by Emma Carroll

When we were Warriors (edition 2019)

by Emma Carroll (Author)

811,786,050 (3)1
A body washed up on the beach. Evacuation to an old house with forbidden rooms and dark secrets... An animal rescue service. Set in World War Two, Emma Carroll explores the resilience, resourcefulness and inventiveness of children when their lives fall to pieces.
Member:White_Star2008
Title:When we were Warriors
Authors:Emma Carroll (Author)
Info:Faber & Faber (2019), 159 pages

When we were Warriors by Emma Carroll

A collection of three stories about children in England during WWII. The stories are loosely connected to each other by an American soldier who turns up in each one.

“The Night Visitors” is about a group of London children evacuated to Frost Hollow Hall. I would have appreciated it more if I’d read Carroll’s novel Frost Hollow Hall -- and if I hadn’t been expecting this book to just contain one story. (Why do I feel like this story is wrapping up? I wondered. The audiobook has so many more tracks to go!)

“Olive’s Army” is a direct sequel to Letters from the Lighthouse, which I have read and loved, so I enjoyed the chance to revisit those characters again.

And “Operation Greyhound” is about the problem of safe shelter for pets during an air raid, an important issue that none of the other wartime fiction I’ve read has explored. ( )
  Herenya | Dec 12, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,510,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible