The Fountains of Silence (2019)

by Ruta Sepetys

At the Castellana Hilton in 1957 Madrid, eighteen-year-old Daniel Matheson connects with Ana Moreno through photography and fate as Daniel discovers the incredibly dark side of the city under Generalissimo Franco's rule.

English (39)  Catalan (1)  All languages (40)
Just another book to add to the list of books that have my heart and soul. I had heard quite a bit about The Fountains of Silence, along with Sepetys' other books, on booktube from some of the videos I had watched. Most of these booktubers absolutely praised the book and Ruta Sepetys' writing. I 100% agree with the praise they gave this book. The Fountains of Silence is so beautifully intricate and detailed while being exquisitely simple as well. I loved the storyline, all the POVs we get, and the entire premise of the book. As I've mentioned here quite a few times on my blog (https://historybookreads.blogspot.com/), historical fiction is flooded with WWII settings. The Fountains of Silence was a wonderful break from seeing all the WWII historical fiction books. 1957 Spain and Franco's dictatorship is such an interesting setting to use for a novel, and Sepetys incorporates it so well. I definitely agree with many booktuber's opinions of the book, and I highly recommend it as a read. ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
Well-researched book about life in Spain under the leadership of Franco. Set in 1957, we follow the life of 18-year old Daniel Matheson, who has travelled from Texas to Madrid with his father (who is trying to negotiate an oil deal with Franco) and Spanish mother, who is dealing with her own problems. Daniel is adrift, having broken up with his high society girlfriend, and unsure how to tell his father that he wants to be a photographer. He falls for the hotel maid, Ana, and gets a real view of life in Spain as he explores the city and her life, with his camera in tow. Meanwhile, there is the story of stolen babies, with political and religious overtones. The story was very slow at the outset, which kept it from being a 5 star rating for me, but Sepetys writes characters with great depth. I especially liked the bullfighter from the barrio. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Set in 1950s Spain under Franco's dictatorship, this novel explores life through the lens of several young people. Daniel Matheson, son of an oil baron and a Spanish mother, has been raised in comfort, but he longs to break free of his father's expectations. During the summer of 1957, he becomes involved with Ana, who works at the hotel where his family stays.

This complex, deeply moving story covers the difficult topics, especially the systematic abduction of children from Republican families and the secrets everyone was expected to keep in order to survive. ( )
  TAPearson | Jun 3, 2021 |
4.5 stars

I really enjoyed this book! SO many plot lines, but all of them were interesting. I had a few theories on how things would wrap up, but was wrong about most of it, haha. I love historical fiction, but typically would go for Regency era pieces. I have recently been branching out and this was a wonderful read to learn more about Spain in this time period as well as life under Franco's regime. ( )
  DanaManiac | Apr 5, 2021 |
Daniel Matheson and his family travel to Madrid in 1957. While his parents rub shoulders with the rich and elite, Daniel takes his camera and tries to find an authentic picture of Spain. Ana, a young woman working at the hotel, meets Daniel and begins to fall for him. Trying to keep a balance between family loyalties and her heart, Ana slowly begins to let Daniel into her life.

This was an engaging, and dynamic book. The characters felt very realistic, and the tension between real life in Spain and the superficial version presented to outsiders was fascinating. My biggest criticisms is that the time jump was very jolting. It did not feel as if the second half of the book was as well done as the first. The book also abruptly ended. It definitely needed a few more chapters or an epilogue. Overall, 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Apr 1, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,427,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible