Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance) by…

Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance) (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Becky Wade (Author)

Member:Becky_L
Title:Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance)
Authors:Becky Wade (Author)
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2019), 384 pages
Rating:*****

Sweet on You by Becky Wade (2019)

I have not been in a particular hurry to read Becky Wade’s romances, but if they’re all as good as Sweet on You, I have lied to myself. I need to hurry and read the first two in this series, although Sweet on You stands alone well.
Zander Ford has finally made a literary name for himself, only to be called home to deal with lies.
Lies like... he could get over loving Britt Bradford, his best friend... like the uncle who adopted him was everything he claimed to be...life could just go back to normal after his uncle’s funeral.
I loved the fact that this tale was more than just a fluffy romance. There was real substance to the problems that were keeping Zander and Britt apart. Plus, there was a great (for the reader) mystery involving the true identity of Zander’s uncle. Zander turns away from God because God doesn’t answer to Zander’s liking in Zander’s timing. This is so like us humans in general. I was brought up a little short as I wished Britt would stop being so self-sufficient that she held people at arm’s length. I realized I often try to make it on my own, not accepting others’ help. That doesn’t make us look strong, just stubborn. Ouch. But this is the best part of Christian fiction- seeing something of myself in a character that needs to be changed to produce a better person.
I found a few quotes to love.
“Once, he’d been an orphan convinced he didn’t need saving. But then Carolyn and Frank had proved him wrong when they’d gone ahead and saved him anyway.”
“He reminds me of a Dickens orphan. Tragic and brooding and gorgeous.”
“So many lies. The revealing of them made Zander feel as though the foundation of this house might be torn in half at any second by an earthquake.”
”He was God’s son. A son full of mistakes. But a son, nonetheless.”
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. This in no way affected my opinions, which are solely my own. ( )
  Becky_L | Jul 11, 2019 |
This book totally exceeded my expectations!

Sweet on You went in a direction I never imagined and I loved it!

There’s romance! Mystery! Suspense! Chocolate! Grandma! Clint! Valentina!

Honestly, guys…I can’t even. Spoilers and such. So good!!

This was so great. So, so great!

Do. Not. Miss. This. Book!

Sweet on You is available April 30th. Visit www.christianbook.com to preorder today!

Side note – Bonus points to Becky Wade for mentioning The Masters Tournament in this book (which, by the way, is only 21 days away at the time of this posting!)

I received a complimentary advanced electronic copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers through NetGalley. A positive review was not required. All opinions expressed are my own ( )
  JenGalaxy4 | Jul 8, 2019 |
Acquired Book By: I received a complimentary copy of “Sweet On You” direct from the publisher Bethany House Publishers in exchange for an honest review. I did not receive compensation for my opinions or thoughts shared herein.

How can your heart not rejoice when you first see Britt and Zander reunited outside Sweet Art? Honestly, it was the quintessential reunion for me - he sweeps her into his arms and she joyfully gives back the love of that moment - the connection only two old friends can share between them. I was dearly curious how their reunion would pan out - if Britt would have recognised something in herself and in Zander her heart hadn't been willing to see previously... if Zander had grown as much as Britt or if by any chance they had grown closer together despite the distance? In that singular exchange - of where two hearts run into each other on a collision course not of their own making (as it was as if they were drawn by magnetic force) than who is to say truly what will be?

They have such an ease of convenience with each other - even if Britt is hiding a bit of herself from Zander, as soon as you see them toying with each other - finding the lightness of laughter and the heartful passion they mutually share for wicked good chocolate, you can see how they work together. He's stepping back into their friendship as if nothing had traversed between them - as if the hours hadn't cast a path to separate them nor if any ill will had befallen Britt. There was something hovering in the air between them though - you could sense it even without the details being disclosed. It was almost as if they were both putting on appearances for each other; not wanting to fall short in each other's eyes nor in their impressions on how they might be accepted or rejected by each other's opinion. The irony of course is that their friendship was such a rock solid foundation - it is hard to imagine anything pushing them apart.

Time waits for no man - never more apparent than for Zander, as soon as it is known about his recent loss of his Uncle, the police start to intervene on behalf of the case they feel isn't quite as cut and dry as his Aunt would prefer it to be. For that matter, it isn't kosher for Zander either nor for myself - because it had all the hallmarks of being the kind of death you'd take a more critical look at sourcing what exactly had befallen your loved one. Whenever someone breaks their patterns such as his Uncle Frank, it leads you to wander over the plausibilities - the curious way a mind can knit out an alternative demise is cautionary in of itself.

Nora has a job I personally love - she's a historian who researches genealogies for people and it is this talent she has for getting to the truth about identities and ancestral lineage which proves to be quite handy when Zander starts to dig into his Uncle's life. The curious bit though is how much people try to shroud from their families and how much truth lets out after they've passed. It is never good practice to withhold the secrets which can be undone in death. A poignant point I believed Wade was making as we delved into why Uncle Frank might have wished to hide himself in plain sight or to put another way - why would someone want to inflict any anguish in death on a nephew who felt as close to him as a son? Especially how the nephew needed such a strong impression about a good-hearted man such as Frank?

You truly love following in the footsteps of Britt and Zander - as their undertaking solving the mystery behind Frank's life and death. They even show you how you can dig into a person's back-histories if you know which searches to run on the internet and how to keep a keen eye out on the articles which went to press which might be of better use than the run of the mill varieties you can sometimes feel bogged down in whilst doing ancestral research. In many regards, the techniques Wade was highlighting in this novel are not unlike the kind you do for ancestry. The only main difference of course is how soon the dead would be investigated and how fresh the trail would be on their behalf.

I can't help finding wicked sweet fodder of joy in Sweet on You - not only from the fact Britt is completely clueless about Zander's feelings for her but how Wade is placing them together! If they weren't as enthused about hunting down Uncle Frank's lost history and the reasons why he took up residence with a family in Washington State when he was from the Mid-West - wells, let's just say their might never had started to work on building that bridge between them! The irony of course is how they each tap danced round the obvious - how Britt jokingly would yoke Zander with the considerations of a friend who only wanted the best for her BFF but did so in such a way that gave more grief than levity to the situation!

Wade broaches all those curious doubts and thoughts noodling away at Zander and Britt; the key problem for them is that they are old hat to each other. They have known each other so long that it has almost become a hindrance! They don't trust their instincts round each other and they can barely see past the beauty of their friendship because they never were ones who wanted to shake up the status quo and again, that is partially what became the root of their issue.

What a nail biter! Even though I was eagerly awaiting this slow burning romance to knit together between Britt and Zander; as she's the sister I was rooting for the most next to Nora (as they both had blokes I loved seeing matched to them!) - there was this secondary story-line which was fuelled with such high octane drama and thrilling segues of intrigue that you could barely breathe during most of the ensuing chapters of the novel once you reached the midway point! I truly loved everything Wade put into this story - except maybe the Epilogue? I felt the ending was a bit rushed - similar to the Hallmark movies I love most? You have this heart attachment to the whole affair and then, in the end, everything just feels hurried against the clock? Despite that though -- seeing what becomes of Zander and Britt was well worth the wait! And, the rattled nerves!!

// This is a quotation of my full review originally shared via jorielovesastory.com
  joriestory | Jul 4, 2019 |
I did not read either of the first two books in this series so this is my introduction to the series. Despite it being billed as a romance, I would say it was both a romance and a mystery in the same novel. The mystery story was more well rounded in my opinion while the romance suffered from the "I love her but I can't tell her because if I do and she doesn't feel the same way I'll lose her"/"I want to be independent and love doesn't fit into that want." dynamic that went on for far too long in my opinion.

Imagine being married to someone for a good number of years and then losing him unexpectedly, only to find out that he wasn't at all who he said he was. This is what Carolyn faces after her husband, Frank, is found dead in his truck of a heart attack. Except that his truck's location doesn't match with his plans for the day and an injury that he claimed was a construction accident ends up being a bullet wound--which starts Carolyn and her nephew Zander down a path of investigation which reveals that Frank assumed the identity of a dead child (among other things).

Frank's death brings world-traveling Zander home. A home he left because he could no longer bear to watch his love, Britt, go through a series of boyfriends--and yet he couldn't bring himself to tell her he loved her as more than a friend. Zander finds his feelings unchanged.

Britt has long prided herself on her independence and on not needing anyone. (A trait I admire in some respects, but it also gave me a chance to see how others might view me as I feel I am similar in that trait.) But now that Zander is home, she finds her feelings for him shifting from friends only to more "swoony" feelings that disturb her. (PS: I also identify with her love for chocolate though she has much more knowledge than I do on making chocolates.) ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 22, 2019 |
"Sweet on You" is mainly a romance with a mystery woven into it. What is not to like, when a book includes a swoon-worthy hunk who just happens to be a world-renowned author, as well as including chocolate and stolen artwork?

This was my first experience with stories about this family. I did not like Britt at first, but she certainly grew as a character late in the novel. I did want too shake Britt and tell her to wake up to the love right in front of her!

I liked the way the author wrapped things up nicely at the end, explaining all in an epistolary style. The backstory on Frank and Carolyn was certainly interesting and intriguing. I had to suspend my skepticism, however, as Britt and Zander involved themselves in solving a very dangerous situation. When amateurs take over an investigation like this, I always want to tell them to stay out of it and let the law enforcement investigate. The suspense built until the end of the novel, and the plot moved forward well.

However, here are a few negatives about this book. Personally, I dislike cutesy names like Zander and Britt, but that is my opinion. I also got really tired of the ongoing "loves me, loves me not" interactions between Britt and Zander. Get on with it, people! I dislike the writing style that uses the short, incomplete sentences for emphasis, which seems so common in contemporary writing.

I received this book from the publisher and NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. The opinions here are entirely my own.
  LadyoftheLodge | Jun 18, 2019 |
To the best writer friends a girl could ask for--Kate Ganshert, Courtney Walsh, and Dani Pettrey. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. This one's for you.
Five hundred and eleven days had passed since he'd seen her last.

Britt Bradford and Zander Ford have been the best of friends since they met thirteen years ago. Unbeknown to Britt, Zander has been in love with her for just as long. Independent and adventurous Britt channels her talent into creating chocolates at her hometown shop. Zander is a bestselling author who's spent the past 18 months traveling the world. He's achieved a great deal but still lacks the only thing that ever truly mattered to him--Britt's heart. When Zander's uncle dies of mysterious causes, he returns to Merryweather, Washington, to investigate, and Britt is immediately there to help. Although this throws them into close proximity, both understand that an attempt at romance could jeopardize their once-in-a-lifetime friendship. But while Britt is determined to resist any change in their relationship, Zander finds it increasingly difficult to keep his feelings hidden. As they work together to uncover his uncle's tangled past, will the truth of what lies between them also, finally, come to light?… (more)

Becky Wade is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,407,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible