Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy…

by Nick de Semlyen (Author)

"Wild and Crazy Guys opens in 1978 with Chevy Chase and Bill Murray taking bad-tempered swings at each other backstage at Saturday Night Live, and closes 21 years later with the two doing a skit in the same venue, poking fun at each other, their illustrious careers, triumphs and prat falls. In between, Nick de Semlyen takes us on a trip through the tumultuous '80s, delving behind the scenes of movies such as National Lampoon's Vacation, Beverly Hills Cop, The Blues Brothers, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and dozens more. Chronicling the off-screen, larger-than-life antics of Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, John Belushi, John Candy, and Rick Moranis, it's got drugs, sex, punch-ups, webbed toes, and Bill Murray being pushed into a swimming pool by Hunter S. Thompson while tied to a lawn chair. What's not to like? Based on candid interviews from many of the stars themselves, as well as those in their immediate orbit, including directors John Landis, Carl Reiner, and Amy Heckerling, Wild and Crazy Guys is a fantastic insider account of the friendships, feuds, triumphs, and disasters experienced by these beloved comedians. Hilarious and revealing, it is both a hidden history of the most fertile period ever for screen comedy and a celebration of some of the most popular films of all time."--Amazon.com.… (more)
Member:aberocka
Title:Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy Mavericks of the '80s Changed Hollywood Forever
Authors:Nick de Semlyen (Author)
Info:Crown Archetype (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy Mavericks of the '80s Changed Hollywood Forever by Nick de Semlyen

I can't remember the last time I read a nonfiction book all in one day. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised I practically devoured this one as I love behind the scenes pop culture stuff like this and anything 1980s related automatically peaks my interest. I couldn't believe how many things I learned from the book considering how much of my head is already full with random celebrity/tv-film industry tidbits. (I'm the person you want on your trivia team because I always bring my A game for the entertainment portions.) So basically this is a good read for those who have a casual interest in the topic and also the die-hard pop culture fans.

The book follows the careers of Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Eddie Murphy, John Candy, Rick Moranis, and Steve Martin with much of the focus taking place during the 1980s which was when most of the careers were at their highest point. There's a ton of good behind the scenes info of the movies and tv shows they were a part of as well as projects that each person was close to working on but in the end a deal wasn't made. It was particularly interesting to see just how many films originally had John Belushi as the first choice but because of his death ended up going to another actor. And while much has been written about classic films such as Animal House and Caddyshack, this book manages to provide details not just about hits but also the pretty crappy ones most of us haven't thought about in ages like Neighbors and Nothing but Trouble. The author also manages to provide a good look into the personalities of each person featured as well as what others have to say about what it was like working with them.

I really can't say enough good things about this book as it was a terrific read. If the subject matter interests you, for sure pick this one up!

Thank you to First to Read for the opportunity to read an advance digital copy! I was under no obligation to post a review and all views expressed are my honest opinion. ( )
  fastforward | Apr 22, 2019 |
I received an advance uncorrected proof of this from the publisher through First to Read. For those who watched the greats of Saturday Night Live and Second City TV blow up...and out...and back on/off, this will be a treat. Chase, Ackroyd, Belushi. Murray, Martin, Murphy, Moranis. Short, Candy (short, obviously, as was Belushi). And behind the scenes, Landis, Hughes, Spielberg, Ramis, Oz. They had rocket rises, meteoric crashes, blockbusters and bombs. It’s (mostly) all here. Well, mostly because this stops in the mid-90s when they were supplanted by others who couldn’t replace but made their own ways (those are different stories and not included here because these are not their stories)

Nick de Semlyen did some great research and put together a substantive chronology. There can’t not be gaps, too many players, each deserving his own story (yes, it was only the “hes“ ... the women were big on their own, but didn’t command the star power of the men) but de Semlyen does well condensing.

Have fun reliving...if you lived through it. ( )
  Razinha | Mar 26, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,465,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible