The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women and Men Survivors of Child…

by Laura Davis

In this groundbreaking companion to The Courage to Heal, Laura Davis offers an inspiring, in-depth workbook that speaks to all women and men healing from the effects of child sexual abuse. The combination of checklists, writing and art Projects, open-ended questions and activities expertly guides the survivor through the healing process. Survival Skills--Teaches survivors to create a safe, supportive environment, ask for help, deal with crisis periods, and choose therapy. Aspects Of Healing--Focuses on the healing process: gaining a capacity for hope, breaking silence, letting go of shame, turning anger into action, planning a confrontation, preparing for family contact, and affirming personal progress. Guidelines For Healing Sexually--Redefines the concept of "safe sex" and establishes healthy ground rules for sexual contact.… (more)

When I worked through this book in 1997 or 1998 it was difficult going, but I thought that my ability to manage the PTSD symptoms was evidence that my work was done.

Not so.

Now that we have documentation of the various stages of survivor work (thanks to Herman's [b:Trauma and Recovery|542700|Trauma and Recovery|Judith Lewis Herman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348664543s/542700.jpg|530025] which I only just found recently), I must admit the correctness of the one or two therapists who argued that working until you drop is effectively avoiding the work of recovery. So I cannot say whether I actually worked through this book correctly, only that I gave it a half-hearted try, and found it useful to some extent.
ShiraDest
31.10.12015 HE today, read back in 1997, 11997 HE ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |

Not so.

ShiraDest
31.10.12015 HE today, read back in 1997, 11997 HE ( )
1 vote ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,496,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible