The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols:…

The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols: Adapted from the Journals of John H. Watson, M.D. (edition 2019)

by Nicholas Meyer (Author)

"With the international bestseller The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, Nicholas Meyer brought to light a previously unpublished case of Sherlock Holmes, as recorded by Dr. John H. Watson. Now Meyer returns with a shocking discovery-an unknown case drawn from a recently unearthed Watson journal. January 1905: Holmes and Watson are summoned by Holmes' brother Mycroft to undertake a clandestine investigation. An agent of the British Secret Service has been found floating in the Thames, carrying a manuscript smuggled into England at the cost of her life. The pages purport to be the minutes of a meeting of a secret group intent on nothing less than taking over the world. Based on real events, the adventure takes the famed duo-in the company of a bewitching woman-aboard the Orient Express from Paris into the heart of Tsarist Russia, where Holmes and Watson attempt to trace the origins of this explosive document. On their heels are desperate men of unknown allegiance, determined to prevent them from achieving their task. And what they uncover is a conspiracy so vast as to challenge Sherlock Holmes as never before"--… (more)
Member:CharlesPrepolec
Title:The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols: Adapted from the Journals of John H. Watson, M.D.
Authors:Nicholas Meyer (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2019), 256 pages

Work Information

The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols by Nicholas Meyer

I'm still mostly enjoying these books, though I do find with each successive installment in the series, I seem to be getting less out of each one.

Yes, I know Meyer isn't Arthur Conan Doyle, nor will he ever be. As such, the stories are paced differently, yet still they're done quite well. However, there's still that thing that kind of bugs me, and I really was at a lost as to why.

So, as I went through this one, I tried to determine why that is, and I think it comes down to two things.

Meyer's obviously a Hollywood guy. He's worked on a lot of movies and shows. I think the two things that get to me are the two things Meyer either can't help doing, or feels he must do.

The first is all the damn cameos. Every single one of his adventures has cameos. Freud. Oscar Wilde. Gilbert and Sullivan. And on and on and on. The odd drop in would be fine, a fun little Easter egg. But Meyer packs them in as though he's being paid by the appearance, and it does begin to wear after a bit.

The second Hollywood thing that Meyer likes to do is take Sherlock completely out of his element. That could be physically, emotionally, or mentally, depending on which book you're reading. I think this may be a safety thing for Meyer, so if he has Holmes do something uncharacteristically (such as the gun trick in this one), he can blame it on the stress of being out of his element.

Again, if this is the exception to the rule, then it's a fun experiment, however when it's in every single Meyer pastiche, it quickly begins to lose its appeal.

Overall, this is not a bad story, despite the liberties Meyer takes with Holmes. And it talks to a real world issue that, unfortunately comes up again and again and again.

But overall, these particular Holmes stories are beginning to wear. I know there's a new one to be published this year, but for now, I have one more to go. We'll see how I feel about that one before deciding if I read any future installments. ( )
  TobinElliott | Apr 26, 2024 |
The style was pleasing, but the plot was spurious. Apparently, according to the epilogue, there is such as thing as this bit of fake news, the Jewish Protocols, With the old trope of Russian Roulette, Holmes obtains a confessions from the first perpetrator. This, of course, was a waste of time. deduce that there was not really a case, and Watson shows us more deductive ability than Holmes. I would love to see this woman! ( )
  SamMelfi | Mar 31, 2024 |
AUDIOBOOK

i bought this because Imvery much like David Robb’s voice as an actor and as a narrator. Sadly i couldn’t get interested in the story, and gave up.

I didn’t like the style of the presentation with unexpected interpolations by Nicholas Meyer giving voice to what I can only assume appear as explanatory footnotes in the original printed book, designed to give verisimilitude to the notion that the book is based on a real diary by a real Watson. ( )
  Kindleifier | May 6, 2023 |
The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols is interesting in a historical sense that being a forgery/fraud that has taken on a life of its own. It is also interesting in story sense in how Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson solve to find out the writer of the fraudulent document. A lot of research and thought went into the writing of this story. It has suspense and very believable characters and situations. Four stars were awarded to this book. ( )
  lbswiener | Dec 4, 2022 |
I'm going to preface this by saying I love Holmes and Watson. I grew up reading their stories and idolized the characters. Reading Meyer's rendition of these characters, it really fell short for me. There were a few historical inaccuracies that pulled me out of the story, as well. ( )
  managedbybooks | May 3, 2022 |
“Invigoratingly engaging from start to finish, Nicholas Meyer has yet again created a fresh take on an old genre.”

For Leslie, bringer of life
"My dear Watson, you astonish me," proclaimed a smiling Sherlock Holmes, sitting to my right on a crimson banquette in the newly refurbished Grill Room of the Café Royal.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,912,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible