Angel in a Devil's Arms

by Julie Anne Long

USA Today Bestseller! "Julie Anne Long reinvents the historical romance for modern readers." --Amanda Quick From USA Today bestselling author Julie Anne Long comes the second book in an exciting new historical romance series, the first since her beloved Pennyroyal Green series. He has devil's blood in his veins. At least, that's always been the legend. How else could the Duke of Brexford's notorious bastard son return from the dead? The brutal decade since Lucien Durand, Lord Bolt, allegedly drowned in the Thames forged him into a man who always gets what--and who--he wants. And what he wants is vengeance for his stolen birthright . . . and one wild night in Angelique Breedlove's bed. Angelique recognizes heartbreak when the enigmatic Lord Bolt walks into The Grand Palace on the Thames, and not even his devastating charm can tempt her to risk her own ever again. One scorching kiss drives home the danger. But in the space between them springs a trust that feels anything but safe. And the passion--explosive, consuming--drives Lucien to his knees. Now his whole life depends on proving his love to a woman who doesn't believe in it . . . because his true birthright, he now knows, is guardian of Angelique Breedlove's heart.… (more)

I loved the idea of this series from the start. Well, no...scratch that...I loved it from the first few pages when we got to know the (then) Lady Derring, her anything but loyal husband, and all the ensuing "fun" her new life would entail. By book's end, I was hooked...and READY FOR MORE! The more is this little beauty and first off, I have to say...GREAT job on the COVER! Her dress is fetching, as is the viscount in her bed (*giggle*), and the title makes one wonder exactly why he's being labeled a devil. I suppose potentially returning from the dead to reclaim your life, set things right (for you and those you hold close), while upsetting a few old chaps (aka settling debts!) along the way is a perfectly good way to gain that moniker...but rest assured, fair readers...he's not so much a devil as to dissuade your interest...or that of our dear Angelique. Despite her less than amicable introduction to the series (let's just say the groundwork was NOT set for her to be a longstanding character), I couldn't wait for her to get her own story and I'm SO GLAD it came sooner rather than later.

In the end, this was the story we were waiting for, the story we needed to set things right for a woman who's past wasn't exactly squeaky clean, with a man who could care less about the advantages others may have seen and taken of her predicament, and who's only desire (well, eventually) was to make sure nothing ever broke her heart or trust again. It all built towards the desired HEA readers adore...readers like you and me...and I'm not saying it's smooth sailing because yeah, no, but then the course of true love never did run smooth....

**copy received for review; opinions are my own ( )
  GRgenius | Jul 31, 2022 |
Another good one. The writing remains high quality. I love that here again the hero/heroine are not dukes and duchesses. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
enjoyable, really like the boarding house setting, clear setup for third book ( )
  Bookjoy144 | Mar 2, 2022 |
I didn't like this one as much as the first in the series, but overall it was good. Both characters acted a bit daft right near the end and I didn't love that, but I get what the author was going for, creating a final hurdle to their happiness and what not. I chuckled frequently, and am looking forward to reading more books by this author. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
It was a very comfortable book to read. I've somehow managed to go this long without reading a Julie Ann Long book, and I was delighted with her writing. The dialogue was fun and witty or lovely and evocative. I genuinely liked both characters and felt like they made sense together.

BUT. It was really easy for me to put the book down. I wish there was a nicer word than boring, but it kinda was a little. Both characters made good, sensible decisions throughout the book, and almost always without prompting from anyone else. Even those worldview tilting changes in perspective each character needs in order to make the HEA possible just seemed like quiet epiphanies they had on their own.

There wasn't really any point where I was frustrated or anxious while I was reading. And sometimes you just want a comfortable book where everything works out without too much drama! Since I just finished reading Jennifer Estep's Crown of Shards series with all its assassination attempts and threats of war, this almost too-comfortable read didn't bother me quite as much as I think it normally would have.

I gave four stars instead of three for the likable characters and the lovely writing, especially the dialogue which was both clever and swoon-worthy. I'm a slut for fun dialogue. ( )
  chichigrrr | May 23, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Mrs. Angelique Breedlove stared at the little tokens—a sort of half unicorn, half lion—nestled in the man's palm.

He has devil's blood in his veins. At least, that's always been the legend. How else could the Duke of Brexford's notorious bastard son return from the dead? The brutal decade since Lucien Durand, Lord Bolt, allegedly drowned in the Thames forged him into a man who always gets what—and who—he wants. And what he wants is vengeance for his stolen birthright...and one wild night in Angelique Breedlove's bed.

But in the space between them springs a trust that feels anything but safe. And the passion—explosive, consuming—drives Lucien to his knees. Now his whole life depends on proving his love to a woman who doesn't believe in it...because his true birthright, he now knows, is guardian of Angelique Breedlove's heart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,029,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible