Jumper: A Novel by Steven Gould

Jumper: A Novel (original 1992; edition 2008)

by Steven Gould

Series: Jumper (1)

Member:mirrani
Title:Jumper: A Novel
Authors:Steven Gould
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2008), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Series
Tags:young adult, science fiction, Series: Jumper, WTR

Jumper by Steven Gould (1992)

Replay by Ken Grimwood (hyper7)
    Reflex by Steven Gould (jshrop)
    InterWorld by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    Vegas Knights by Matt Forbeck (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For theft, magic, and young adults.
    The Case of the Vanishing Boy by Alexander Key (infiniteletters)
    Superman: Secret Identity (TPB) by Kurt Busiek (changsbooks)
    The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (persky)
    Memoirs of an Invisible Man by H. F. Saint (gtown)
    gtown: Similar stories of a regular person finding themselves with a super power and how they and the world react to it. "Memoirs" is the stronger, more adult read, but both are quite engrossing.
    Tempest by Julie Cross (joririchardson)
    Impulse by Steven Gould (jshrop)

Not a bad book, and I originally did not want to read it because of the awful film that was made after this book was written.

The film had some weird stuff about others who could teleport, a secret society that they never explain about trying to hunt them down, etc. All that nonsense does not appear in this book!

Instead we have a boy who develops the power to teleport himself. Issues such as child abuse, an incident of near-rape on the Interstate and Muslim terrorists pepper the story and as well the romance angle.

I found it especially interesting that the World Trade Center was a good part of this book and its relationship to terrorists. This was written before 9-11 so I thought that was provoking.

Overall, a decent Young Adult novel. Recommended.
  James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
I went into this expecting a simple ya scifi oriented story. This is so much more!

It is more of a coming of age than an adventure story. Davy goes from a young man scared for his life to a man dealing with love, hatred, fear, revenge and duty.

Very well done. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I recently reread two highly underrated super-hero novels, Jumper and its sequel, Reflex. These books remain among my favorite super-hero stories, and I only wish the movie version had been an actual adaptation, instead of crapping all over the book.

Jumper is an engaging hero's journey. Davy doesn't spontaneously decide to put on a costume and fight crime (in fact, he wears ordinary clothing throughout the book). His character develops exactly the way a real 18-year-old with a sudden ability to teleport would develop. He can't find his birth certificate or social security number, and like many young people, he's unaware that he can write to his state department to get a copy--so Davy can't get a job. In need of money, he uses his power to rob a bank. Then he starts messing with bullies, from his thuggish neighbors to his abusive father. He takes creative revenge on people who have hurt him. But even with endless freedom and money, Davy is lonely, without friends or family. In need of someone to share his fortune with, he gets a girlfriend. He finds his long-lost mother. He does good deeds. But he doesn't decide to hunt criminals until a suicide bomber kills his mother.

A timely theme in Jumper is about terrorism. When Davy hunts suicide bombers, the U.S. government treats Davy as a lawless vigilante--so they abduct Davy's girlfriend and hold her as a hostage. Outraged, Davy starts jumping agents all over the world, stranding them in dangerous countries. Homeland Security then labels Davy as a terrorist. Davy reacts like most 18-year-olds, with extreme anger. In the end, both Davy and the man in charge at Homeland Security have to reconcile their mistrust of each other, and work together for the people they are both trying to rescue.

Both of these books are short and fast-paced. I will add that Reflex is a bit more geared to adult audiences. It takes place ten years after the first novel, so Davy is a married man. He's also gained some very powerful enemies, and one of them is a woman who treats him like her pet dog.

This review was originally published on my blog. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
Let's just first get this out of the way: YES I LIKED THE MOVIE (mostly because Samuel L. Jackson ;p). Lots. It was fun, exhilarating and all that jazz an action/adventure movie these days must be. But it was also, not to fine a point on it, as shallow as a puddle after a summer shower, also as these kinds of movies tend to be. Despite that, I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but the book is something completely different from the movie. Best you sort that out in your mind right quick (luckily, being a veteran Stephen King reader, this is an exercise that comes easier to me).

While the movie is all about Davy and how he tries to escape the Paladins, who want to get their evil hooks in him and stop him from jumping or whatevs, the Paladins don't even exist in the book. I found this worked excellently for the book, turning it to more the story of a boy who's trying to literally escape his abusive past but keeps getting drawn back in while having to make hard choices about morality, privacy, agency and responsibility.

Other stuff I liked:

The author pulls no punches. There are some violent scenes in the movie, but in my view it's nothing a teenager these days hadn't seen a million times on TV or in a game and here it's not just gratuitous. (PROTIP: If you're looking for a book for your child to read, looking at the AGE OF THE PROTAGONIST is the best way to see if it's in your child's age bracket. Seriously, how do people not know this?)
I enjoyed the voice of this book. Davy is a great character and is written in such a way that even when he says something in his own head, we can see what the thought behind it is, even if he doesn't necessarily have that level of knowledge yet.
I really liked how seriously Davy took responsibility and how hard he tries to convince himself that it's okay, he doesn't need to feel guilty, and yet he still can't help but feel guilty about things he can't necessarily control.
I couldn't put the story down. Although the main conflict isn't introduced until much later in the book, the narrative creates enough conflict with Davy and his coming to terms with his powers to keep you enjoying page after page even before the real "story" starts. Personally I wouldn't plot it like that, but it worked in this instance and some of the events in this "backstory introduction" become very important when looking at and understanding some of David's later choices.
Solid ending. Always good, especially good here, even though it's the first of a series.
Subtle yet effective glance at some feminist themes in relationships: the problems the dominant narrative of sex as a transaction creates for the individuals involved who don't want to follow that narrative yet know no other way, things like that mentioned in passing, things most girls and some guys have to deal with and normally sooner rather than later was really gratifying and added a bit of (sorely needed) depth to David's romance with Millie.

Disliked:

I didn't really feel the romance between David and Millie. There were great aspects around this arc (see the last bullet above), but I found most of the romance to be slightly passionless and pretty meh. Could definitely have been handled better.
The descriptions in the action scene sometimes went by too fast, especially with his jumping thrown in. It was hard for me to maintain a sense of what exactly was going on in the battle scenes.

RECOMMENDED FOR: "Soft" Sci-fi fans, those who like both contemporary YA and urban fantasy, anyone looking for a male protagonist, anyone who felt the movie slightly "lacking" and is willing to read this book as a YA and not a hardcore science fantasy. Just don't bother with the second book and you'll be golden. ( )
  Leia-Ann | Apr 27, 2015 |
Very much a young adult fiction - I enjoyed this book and the story of a young man discovering a way to escape his painful world by simply jumping.
I would like to see the movie and see what Hollywood has done to the story.
It's not high brow nor is it ground breaking but it was an enjoyable and fast paced book. I really would have finished it sooner had I more time to read - ticks all the right boxes for escapism, coming of age and sciences fiction. Recommended. ( )
  Ben_Harnwell | Apr 26, 2015 |

Steven Gouldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
RomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

For James Gould, soldier, craftsman, sailor, father
and
Laura J. Mixon, engineer, teacher, writer, wife
The first time was like this.

An extremely entertaining science fiction teleportation adventure young adult novel.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765357690, Mass Market Paperback)

What if you could go anywhere in the world, in the blink of an eye?  Where would you go?  What would you do?

Davy can teleport.

To survive, Davy must learn to use and control his power in a world that is more violent and complex than he ever imagined.  But mere survival is not enough for him.  Davy wants to find others like himself, others who can Jump.

And that's a dangerous game.

Jumper is a 20th Century Fox/New Regency production, starring Hayden Christensen, Samuel L. Jackson, Diane Lane, and Jamie Bell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

Blessed with the ability to "jump"--to teleport himself to any place on Earth that he has been to before--Davy is determined to locate others like himself, but interference from the government could prevent him from doing so.

Steven Gould is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,471,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible