The Birthday Girl: A Novel by Melissa De la…

The Birthday Girl: A Novel

by Melissa De la Cruz

422424,278 (3)None
At forty, it appears Ellie de Florent-Smith has everything she ever wanted: a handsome husband, an accomplished college-age stepdaughter, adorable and rambunctious six-year-old twin boys, homes in the city, desert and beach, a thriving career as a well-known fashion designer, and a glamorous circle of friends. Except everything is not quite as perfect as it looks on the outside. Scrubbing her past of its shadows has a cost, and all of Ellie s secrets come to light on the night of her fabulous birthday party where everyone who matters in her life shows up, invited or not, and the beautiful facade of her life crumbles in one night.… (more)

I was looking forward to reading this book. Thus when I got a copy I was very excited. Sadly, this book did not quench my thirst.

I found the characters off putting and stuck up. The one that was the most was the birthday woman herself, Ellie. She was all about showing off a wealthy image even if it meant it was all pretend. The people that Ellie was trying to impress were not her friends. It felt like a somber party. When I learned about Ellie's secret; I was like that is it. It was not a shocking one.

It was a bit of a struggle for me to get to the half way point with none of the characters intriguing me. Plus, it felt like the story moved at a slow pace for anything to really start happening. The latter half of the book did more faster but it did not change my feelings about the book overall. ( )
  Cherylk | Aug 7, 2019 |
I received this book for free as part of an Instagram tour (Storygram Tours specifically) I did to promote the book.

I was really looking forward to reading this book because I love Melissa de la Cruz’s books. However, this book wasn’t as good as I expected it to be.

As a thriller/mystery, the book falls kind of flat. There wasn’t much suspense. For a lot of the book I was waiting around for something big to happen. Nothing super thrilling happened until the very end. I was also expecting something to happen at her party but nothing really did. The big surprise happened in her past (the book is told in alternating timelines).

One thing I did like were the descriptions. Melissa de la Cruz knows how to write about rich people and their lifestyle. I’ve read many of her books and that is a constant throughout a lot of them. I loved reading the descriptions of all the rich people at Ellie’s birthday party. They were hilarious; it was like watching a reality tv show.

Overall, this book isn’t that surprising or thrilling but still has entertainment value. It’s a quick read, so if you want something short and entertaining to read, then go for it! ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jul 23, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,609,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible