The Golden Bride (Daughters of the…

The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower) (edition 2019)

by Kimberley Woodhouse (Author)

971,382,467 (4.57)None
Member:Suzie27
Title:The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower)
Authors:Kimberley Woodhouse (Author)
Info:Barbour Books (2019), 256 pages

The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower) by Kimberley Woodhouse

No tags.

This is a wonderful story about the beginning of San Francisco and how life was going during the gold rush. I loved how brave Olivia was to travel to find her brother. This shows how brave the men and women were who helped to create a town. I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Apr 24, 2019 |
4.5 stars

I love it when a previous author of this series comes back to write another book because there is some connection to their past characters. It’s now 1849 and Olivia Brighton is on the other side of the country than her ancestors, but the wisdom of the women who have endured the challenges of life before her stands the test of time.

Olivia’s a grieving young woman when she arrives in San Francisco in search of her older brother Daniel. She’s made up her mind about what her future will—or won’t—hold for her. Yet when she reads the journals of her ancestors, she’s challenged to live in faith instead of fear.

And then there’s her brother’s best friend. Joseph is a more recently converted Christian but he’s a man who strives to live his faith in everything he does even if it means putting himself in danger and not seeing the woman he’s falling in love with to keep her safe.

The perspective of the villain in The Golden Bride enhances the atmosphere of evil and greed that pervaded San Francisco during a time before the city was truly established.

Kimberley Woodhouse gives readers a story that proves faith, love, and people are greater treasures than gold.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. ( )
  Suzie27 | Apr 15, 2019 |
The Golden Bride by Kimberly Woodhouse

Olivia Brighton knows she shouldn't have married her husband, after only knowing him for only one day. Just six weeks later, she killed him.

They were headed for San Fransisco to sell the miners, the stockpile in their wagon and then he was seriously thinking of trying his hand with gold mining. But instead, his harping, nagging wife killed him and buried him where he lay.

Meanwhile, it's up to Olivia to get her loaded wagon and two onery horses to San Fransisco, to her last living relative-her big brother Daniel. Daniel owns his own restaurant and hopefully, he will give her a job, far away from any miners and feed and house her until she can save up some money to get her own place.

The Golden Bride by Kimberly Woodhouse

2019 ( )
  HuberK | Apr 14, 2019 |
As with each installment in the Daughters of the Mayflower series, “The Golden Bride” does not disappoint. Kimberley Woodhouse has written earlier books in this sequence, and this one delivers just as much vigor and dynamism. These books are fairly short for novels, but they are nevertheless overflowing with spiritual truths and faith in action. Aligning the plotlines with significant events in American history underscores the Christian foundation of our nation and its perseverance throughout times of war, personal trials, and provincial struggles. Realizing how much our forebears overcame provides strength for our own journey and an illuminating perspective for dealing with contemporary issues.

Indeed, the world of California in 1849 as illustrated in “The Golden Bride” bears a striking resemblance to today’s world. Corruption and immorality run rampant in the territory as people, mostly men, flock to the fields in search of gold. San Francisco is a lawless den of iniquity when newly widowed and heartbroken Olivia Brighton arrives in search of her brother, Daniel. He owns and runs Livingston’s Restaurant, and along with his best friend, Joseph Sawyer, serves as a beacon of hope in the face of evils such as gangs, brothels, and human trafficking and slave labor. Olivia joins their efforts to uplift and redeem the town despite opposition. Their ministry is deeply inspiring because they are able to truly make a difference in their community through determination, sacrifice, and most of all a strong reliance upon the Lord.

Olivia’s development as a character spoke to me more than any other. At the beginning of the novel, she is filled with self-loathing and guilt, but reading journals from her ancestors, who were women featured in previous stories in this series, positively influences her faith journey. One of my favorite passages describes so many of us: “she’d prayed for help but kept tight hold of the reins of her life.” We so often do the same. We carry burdens that were never meant for us and we allow fear to control us instead of trusting in the One who promises to work all things together for our good. As Olivia comes to realize, He has a plan and a purpose for each of us and can bring about goodness and blessing from every situation if only we will surrender to Him and trust Him.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review. ( )
  Stardust_Fiddle | Apr 13, 2019 |
This has been a very enjoyable story to read. The author has taken us back to San Francisco in 1849. The town was in chaos because of the gold rush. So many people traveled there to get rich. I could visualize the tents and shanty’s that surrounded the town as swarms of families came to find gold. There was no law around to corral the thieves, drunken men or even anyone who would step in and settle a fight.

Olivia is a wonderful character who travels to be with her brother who lives in San Francisco. She carries a burden with her that causes her not to ever love again. I felt her pain as she grieves the loss of her parents. It was such a joy to read when she finally reunited with her brother. I loved how her brother Daniel welcomed her into his home with open arms. Working in his restaurant was very tiring and it sure wasn’t fun fighting off men in the restaurant. She is one woman who has no problem standing up for herself as one man finds out when a pie comes flying into his face. I think he will take a step back for now on instead of thinking he can put his hands on Olivia.

Daniel is a hard working man who has worried about his sister for awhile. He is glad to have her near him again and I loved how he wasn't ashamed to pray or show his faith. He is the kind of man who would be a good catch. Daniel is very protective of his sister and knows the danger that she could face in the city. The town has been taken over by unsavory characters and the author does a great job of giving us a glimpse into what it was like during this time period.

Joseph is Daniel's best friend and they both want to help improve things in the city so it will be safer. Olivia and Joseph seem to hit it off at first until she finds out what he does for a living. She promised herself she would not get mixed up with another man who does what Joseph does for a living. They are both smitten with each other and Olivia will have to decide if she can accept what Joseph does. Joseph is a fair man and treats his employees with respect so maybe Olivia will change her mind about him.

I loved the intrigue in the book about men and children turning up missing There are a few characters in the story who are greedy and use people to benefit their own pockets. They need to be stopped before harm comes to innocent people. The story is a great adventure as Olivia learns about forgiveness, Daniel helps his friend who finds himself in danger and Joseph who will seek justice for innocent people. Don't miss this story that takes us into the days of gold fever and a lesson in acceptance and forgiveness.

1 vote Harley0326 | Apr 11, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,224,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible