Do Not Go Quietly: An Anthology of Defiance…

Do Not Go Quietly: An Anthology of Defiance in Victory

by Jason Sizemore (Editor), Lesley Conner (Editor)

Other authors: Brooke Bolander (Contributor), Maurice Broaddus (Contributor), Veronica Brush (Contributor), Meg Elison (Contributor), Joshua Gage (Contributor)24 more, Shanna Germain (Contributor), John Hornor Jacobs (Contributor), Rachael K. Jones (Contributor), Cassandra Khaw (Contributor), Alethea Kontis (Contributor), Rich Larson (Contributor), Mary Soon Lee (Contributor), Karin Lowachee (Contributor), Jo Miles (Contributor), Nayad Monroe (Contributor), Annie Neugebauer (Contributor), Russell Nichols (Contributor), Jeremy Paden (Contributor), Sarah Pinsker (Contributor), A. Merc Rustad (Contributor), Christina Sng (Contributor), Lucy A. Snyder (Contributor), Bianca Lynne Spriggs (Contributor), Sheree Renée Thomas (Contributor), E. Catherine Tobler (Contributor), Triantafyllou (Contributor), Marie Vibbert (Contributor), Dee Warrick (Contributor), Fran Wilde (Contributor)

155948,602 (4)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, and I'm grateful to the publisher for the opportunity to read it; I also backed the original anthology when it was a Kickstarter project.

This collection is solid, and the hope nuggets in each story and poem are really powerful. I will say I think a list of trigger warnings would have really aided this collection; the last two stories ("The Judith Plague" and especially "Kill the Darlings (Silicone Sister Remix)") are deeply powerful but definitely need to be approached with self-care in mind. (I've written about the inclusion of trigger warning indexes before, with Resilience, which is an example of it being done really well!)

Overall, this is a great collection of stories and poems with hope in despairing times, and may be really useful to folks looking for that in our current weird dystopia. ( )
  aijmiller | May 23, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
And e-ARC of this book was given to me by the publisher for review.

Like any anthology, I loved some stories more than others. In this case, even the stories that weren't favorites were thought-provoking and worth reading. The stories and poems are all on the same theme, without ever feeling repetitious. ( )
  hopeevey | May 21, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This anthology of speculative fiction prose and poetry has no editorial content. Even the "about the authors" blurbs are collected at the end of the book rather than before or after the stories. I'd like to think that the stories would stand on their own without commentary, but...

Aside from the subtitle "An Anthology of Defiance in Victory" there is really no thread connecting this widely disparate collection. The subject, tone, and even subgenre of each story is completely unique. Which again, isn't a negative attribute; but the lack of an editorial voice makes this read like a random collection, each stumbled upon by accident. In some cases it's a happy accident, in some cases it isn't.

I enjoyed several of the poems more than I usually do. I don't actually understand poetry very well, so I'm not sure what that says about them.

The stories accumulate a bittersweet tone of frustration with a ray of hope. Quality ranges from excellent to just okay, with no real stinkers and no masterpieces. It's a really excellent set of authors, but in my opinion in most cases it's not the author's best work.

Overall it's definitely worth a read; nothing I can rave about, but no serious complaints. ( )
  Landwaster | May 20, 2019 |
A varied collection of short stories and a couple of poems themed around rebellion and protest. As might be expected in such collections, not everything suits my taste - there were two I activety disliked, but the rest varied between enjoyable and good. Such a broad theme of course leads to a wide range of settings and characters. There is as might be expected a strong feminist bent with many women rebelling against the various strictures placed against them as individuals, or as concepts they may represent. Technology and AI also has a strong presence with AI fighting for their rights or humanity reclaiming individuality.

There was nothing within the volume that induced me to seek out further writings from any of the authors, although many of the stories were unexpected none quite had the charm or twist to elevate them beyond okay. ( )
1 vote reading_fox | May 12, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Collection of short stories, poetry, and one novella. As with all collections, quality is uneven, but on the whole, the standards seem high. My favorite was THE JUDITH PLAGUE, about a group of women getting even, but all were definitely thought-provoking. This would be most useful in a creative writing setting, encouraging students to think for themselves. ( )
  Sue_the_Book_Slut | May 12, 2019 |

Warrick, DeeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilde, FranContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolívar, MarcelaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jason Sizemore's book Do Not Go Quietly: An Anthology of Victory in Defiance is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,913,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible