A Touch of Darkness (Hades X Persephone) by…

A Touch of Darkness (Hades X Persephone) (edition 2019)

by Scarlett St. Clair (Author)

Series: Hades & Persephone (1)

Member:ericaejw968
Title:A Touch of Darkness (Hades X Persephone)
Authors:Scarlett St. Clair (Author)
Info:Independently published (2019), 353 pages

Work Information

A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone #1) by Scarlett St. Clair

First, can we take a moment to appreciate this cover art? It's beautiful and simple.

This is a modernization of the Hades x Persephone myth of Greek origin. St. Clair took it and put a modern spin on it; the interweaving of classic Greek culture and the mythos with modern society was good but I was wishing for more in this book. The world is interesting, to say the least, but there's only a little covered in it and it's mainly the parts the protagonists go to regularly.

Persephone lives and goes to college in New Athens. She's taking an intern position at the New Athens News because she wants to be a journalist. She's lived under the green thumb of her Goddess mother Demeter her whole life and is just now, in her 20's breaking free after a fashion.

Hades is the God of the Underworld and little is written or known about him because most people are afraid of him. And why not? He's the God of the Dead after all.

The two are thrown together because Persephone decides to go to Hades' club and find out about deals he makes with mortals for their souls. Things progress from there. There is no classic abduction in this story. Persephone makes a deal and Hades holds her to it.

Persephone is extremely naive for a Goddess of Spring. This can be directly attributed to her mother keeping her literally locked in a greenhouse for most of her life; she was sheltered in the worst way. Demeter controlled and is still trying to control her life. She has a strict rule not to interact with other Gods, especially Hades. The bumbles and assumptions Persephone makes are linked to her youth and upbringing. Speaking up usually incurred her mother's wrath and so when there's something she's worried about or afraid of, Persephone doesn't speak up at all. There's a scene where she's got a draft of her article about Hades on her computer and a coworker asshat named Adonis sends it to the editor without her permission. This is sort of the catalyst for her love affair with Hades as well.

The story intertwines several other stories besides Hades x Persephone's. You have a rebellion of mortals as an undercurrent, Demeter's controlling nature, the fickleness and vanity of the Gods, Persephone trying to become a journalist, and a few other things.

I enjoyed this first book and though the spice meter only went up to 2/5 in this installment, I'm going to keep hoping.

Recommended for lovers of Greek mythology [some basic knowledge is helpful] and most romance readers 18 .

**All thoughts and opinions are my own. I read this using my personal KU subscription.** ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Jun 11, 2021 |
I actually was on the blog tour, and read a sample (5ish chapters) there, but I was burning to read this before that, and I grabbed a copy on release day, despite knowing an ARC was heading my way. SO...if that doesn't say how much I loved this one, I guess I'll have to add some details... XD

I wasn't instantly a fan of Persephone, I liked her, but she didn't stand out. Which is the point. She's normal, ordinary, powerless...but is she? As soon as she entered Nevernight, I could feel the true story start, and the stakes were set well before she realizes she isn't going to get away with her single rebellious thought so easily.

I love Hades' character, but more than that, I loved all of the characters who are kind to Persephone, especially the ones who know who she really is, from the start, as they also mostly all know Hades, and yet they treat her in a way she's never known. She thinks they were 'ordered' to be this way, and while that's probably true, I get the feeling that they would have accepted her willingly regardless, which is special and important.

The romance was steamy, and I can easily see how ACOMAF is viewed as a retelling of Hades and Persephone, not just in the romance, but in the emotion and chemistry, and this one has a similar feel and I loved all the important messages that are shared about acceptance and confidence, friendship, compassion, kindness, and love.

I enjoyed Scarlett St. Clair debut, but mythology has always been one of my first reading loves (well mythology and fantasy) and this one was well worth the wait!

Here's my reading update after I started this that was posted on Goodreads:
Wow, this book! I stayed up way too late reading this, and I still didn't want to stop! I almost never read a book so quickly/without breaks, but this one is so good!

I read the first few chapters a while back, but it wasn't the finished book, so I had to wait. I finally got the whole book, and I can't get enough! ( )
  Shadow494 | Jul 19, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Ashley Elizabeth Steele

&

Molly Kathleen McCool

Thank you for loving me.

best friends forever.
Persephone sat in the sunlight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,405,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible