Avengers: Infinity War Destiny Arrives by…

Avengers: Infinity War Destiny Arrives

by Liza Palmer

921,425,908 (4.5)None
"Relive the emotional and thrilling adventures from the film Avengers: Infinity War, complete with original illustrations that bring this tale to life right on the cusp of the release of Avengers: Endgame, the film that will see the culmination of every significant event in the Marvel Cinematic Universe." --… (more)

English (1)  French (1)  All languages (2)
I’ve been grabbing up all the new novels Marvel has been releasing to tie-in with Avengers Infinity Saga films. Marvel does a crap job of publicizing them so it’s usually luck that I find them. This popped up after I reviewed Titan Consumed. Essentially, this is a buy-the-numbers novelization of the Avengers Infinity War film, with some sections of pencil sketch drawing sprinkled throughout of scenes from the film.

Unlike the “Infinity War: The Heroes' Journey”, which provided new scenes (where Black Widow ended up after she switched teams in Civil War) and expanded on those from the film, this doesn’t provide much that is “new.” Mostly, the new material is hearing the inner thoughts of some of the characters during the events of the films. In particular, I enjoyed getting a peek into Wanda’s thoughts during her time with Vision before the Black Order attacks. This provided some much-needed emotional grounding for the romance that didn’t get enough in the film. Beyond that, we get a lot more of Tony Stark’s thoughts. While I understand he’s one of Marvel’s most popular characters, hearing his thoughts didn’t reveal anything that fans didn’t already know or guess from how RDJ plays the character. I would have much preferred knowing what was on Mantis’ mind – a character who has almost no development.

The illustrations are excellent but are grouped in bunches and oddly spaced through the book. One thing I found annoying, though I see why they did it, is that the page numbers count backwards. Countdown to Infinity, as it were. A little gimmicky for me.

Overall, this is a solid novelization that doesn’t have any surprises but is an excellent recap. ( )
  jshillingford | Apr 15, 2019 |
Hovering dead in space, the ship was ablaze.
In time, you will know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right. Yet to fail all the same. Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.

Liza Palmer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,906,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible