The rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons

The rise of Endymion (original 1998; edition 1997)

by Dan Simmons

Member:henrys708
Title:The rise of Endymion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:New York : Bantam Books, 1997.
Rating:*****

The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (1998)

English (26)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (32)
Fantastic ending to the series. ( )
  oumike | Feb 5, 2015 |
The Rise of Endymion is the fourth and final book in the author's Hyperion Cantos. It's not a work that stands alone; you have to read the preceding three novels, and fairly close together, if possible. Nor would you want to miss the conclusion if you've read and enjoyed the first three books in the series. In spectacular fashion it wraps up all the issues, answers all the questions, and revisits most of the characters from the preceding volumes. So there's no need for me to reveal anything further about it.

As for the series as a whole, it is enjoyable, often exciting, and occasionally moving. The characters are largely straightforward and defined by their role in the story--you've met their types before. The author's imagination is better expressed in the dozen or more worlds he details with their vivid landscapes and varied cultures. But most of all there is the interplay between religion and technology as mankind begins its directed evolution into a universe of other dimensions and unlimited possibilities.

I had mixed feelings, however, about the strong religious element in the series, especially the final volume, not just as a component of the plot but as the basis for the revealed workings of the universe. Granted that sufficiently advanced technologies will always seem magical or miraculous, as will the latent powers of the mind, but in this case many of the core elements seem to be deliberate Christian and Buddhist allegories. (I can't be more specific without spoilers.) So I'm not sure what to take away from the series other than the fact that it was fun to read, and had some fantastic ideas, but reflected a set of spiritual values to which I could not relate. ( )
  StevenTX | Jan 18, 2015 |
Like many, I was let down by this continuation of the Hyperion universe. They are still a good read, but it's hard to make up for the fact that they can't stand alongside the first two books. ( )
  ub1707 | May 5, 2014 |
Another reread.yes, I love Dan Simmons ! ( )
  KarenHerndon | Dec 28, 2013 |
I was eager to finish the story started in Hyperion, and while I had to splurge to do it (the library did not carry it, so I actually had to pay for this one), I was somewhat disappointed with the finale.

Don't get me wrong: Dan Simmons did not fail to provide a great story. He filled in the blanks, answered the questions, and completed the circle. But unlike the previous three, which i enjoyed immensely, this one seemed to ramble. Information dumps were all over the place, and at times I felt bogged down as one character or another explained everything...and I do mean "everything." The story is epic, and with the vast scope introduced, but hardly fathomed, in Hyperion a lot had to be explained. While the previous three seemed to flow the information with the plot, leaving morsels of details along the way, this one left large dumps of information in long passages of dialogue. I felt myself asking: who really talks this way?

That said, this did finish the story, and it did finish it satisfyingly. ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 22, 2013 |
This book is for Jack Vance, our finest creator of worlds. It is also dedicated to the memory of Dr. Carl Sagan, scientist, author, and teacher, who articulated the noblest dreams of humankind.
"The Pope is dead! Long live the Pope!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553572989, Mass Market Paperback)

This conclusion of the Hyperion saga (Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, and Endymion) finds Raul Endymion, Aenea, and M. Bettik still on the run from agents of both the Pax and the TechnoCore. But Aenea is reaching maturity, clearly growing into the messiah who will one day bring down the church and stop "the resurrection." One answer lies in Aenea's blood, which she shares with her followers through a ritual of communion; the blood allows anyone to travel through the Void Which Binds, but it cannot coexist with the cruciform that brings immortality. And although Aenea's gift makes her both a power and a danger, she is also a young woman, vulnerable to the forces allied against her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:59 -0400)

The "San Francisco Chronicle Book Review" named this novel a "Best Bet of '97", and hailed it as "a rousing, affecting conclusion, revealing the fates of Aenea, the teenage messiah; her lover, Raul Endymion; and their fearsome protector, the Shrike". A glorious finale to the "Hyperion" series, this bestseller will thrill Simmons' loyal readers, and capture scores of new fans drawn by the rave reviews for this book.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,418,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible