Sulwe by Lupita Nyong'o

Sulwe (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Lupita Nyong'o (Author), Vashti Harrison (Illustrator)

When five-year-old Sulwe's classmates make fun of her dark skin, she tries lightening herself to no avail, but her encounter with a shooting star helps her understand there is beauty in every shade.
Member:SWONlibraries
Title:Sulwe
Authors:Lupita Nyong'o (Author)
Other authors:Vashti Harrison (Illustrator)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 48 pages
Collections:2020 PBRI - Diverse Books

Sulwe by Lupita Nyong'o (2019)

Heartbreaking, uplifting and beautiful story about a small girl who is the colour of midnight - and would rather be lighter... Fortunately, a story about night and day and the way they need each other, help grow her self-esteem. ( )
  Booksplorer | Jun 9, 2021 |
This book was a great modern-day book. This book was about a little girl name Sulwe who thought her skin was too dark. Kids at school would make fun of her for how dark her skin was. She ended up figuring out that she is beautiful no matter what the color of her skin was. ( )
  kimmiestack | Jun 7, 2021 |
This book is about a young girl who has a darker skin tone and learns to love that part of herself. I think this book would be great for inclusivity. ( )
  virreyes7 | Apr 19, 2021 |
This is a great book for young primary readers. this books describes a young girl who has dark skin and a sister who has light skin, she wants her skin to be light like her sisters because she believes she doesn't fit in with dark skin. The book describes how it's important to love yourself, no matter you skin color. I would use this book with my future students to show them the importance of always being confident in yourself. This would also be a great book for children to understand the importance of always including others. ( )
  HunterBartoo | Apr 19, 2021 |
Sulwe is a social issues fiction and fantasy book. Sulwe contains two stories in one book. We are shown the story of Sulwe and her hatred of her dark skin, but we are shown at the end that she learns to love her dark skin. Sulwe learns to love her skin because she is told the tale of Night and Day, two sisters, and how Night learned to love that she was different and special. The illustrations show an image to give a visual example of what the text is saying. The illustrations are colorful and easy to understand and comprehend. This book shows young readers how to truly love themselves no matter if they think they have flaws and imperfections. This book shows young readers to treat everyone fairly no matter the color of their skin. I would use this book to boost self-confidence and self-worth in my classroom. ( )
  Cfelder | Apr 18, 2021 |

Lupita Nyong'oprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harrison, VashtiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Sekai, the newest star in our night sky - L.N.
For Lupita - V.H.
Sulwe was born the color of midnight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,127,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible