The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises (original 1926; edition 1957)

by Ernest Hemingway

21,253307153 (3.77)1 / 589
A story of expatriate Americans and British living in Paris after the First World War.
Member:Harem73
Title:The Sun Also Rises
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:Pan Books, Paperback, 189 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (1926)

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    The Dangerous Summer by Ernest Hemingway (GYKM)
    The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway (John_Vaughan)
    The Professor's House by Willa Cather (2below)
    2below: These are both poignant stories about the disruption and disorder that results from not being where we want to be in life and living in denial of that sad truth.
    Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway (GYKM)
    Dangerous Friends by Peter Viertel (SnootyBaronet)
    SnootyBaronet: Hemingway's friend Viertel describes the making of the disastrous film of Sun Also Rises.
    A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway (John_Vaughan)
1920s (4)
Europe (24)
Read (37)
Books (40)

English (293)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (305)
The book is very frustrating and in a very good way ( )
  sarawaseem12 | Sep 13, 2022 |
Interesting fiction story
  eraj-riaz18 | Sep 4, 2022 |
This three-star review is my own fault, because the only thing more trying than Hemingway is Hemingway in French, which is how I read this book, and my French isn't strong enough to appreciate the nuances of literary style. I appreciated the symbolism, was really hoping for one of the characters to die, and Jake's impotence caused me no end of curiosity, but I think in the future I'll stick to Hemingway in English. ( )
  graceandbenji | Sep 1, 2022 |
This is a story that may feel distant to the modern reader, but with a little work there are some timeless themes that can be sifted enjoyably from it. It may be hard for many to relate to the main characters in this book--disaffected "lost generation" souls living in Paris after World War I, working out which friendships and relationships matter most to them, and why. But the ennui that hangs over the lives of narrator Jake Barnes and his unrequited love interest, Lady Brett Ashley, is not unlike the search for purpose that most young adults experience, especially after such a cataclysmic event as the great world war.

I had my own similar experiences in my 20s, when I spent many years as a young, single professional in northern Virginia living and working amongst a group of twenty-something friends, sorting through who loved who and where and how one would feel most fulfilled in life and work. I suppose I felt a kinship with these characters as they sought to find meaning in their lives--often mistakenly seeking for it in temporary adventure and entertainment.

Hemingway's writing style is sparse. He leaves interpretation of events to the reader. It is both jarring and appealing because he leaves us free to insert our own meanings into the gaps.

I enjoyed reading this book. As a religious person, it often surprise me seeing characters fail to find a true purpose to their lives, because I have found a life filled with profound meaning, even in the mundane quotidian, and I often forget that many haven't experienced this.

I loved the descriptions of Barnes' fishing trip in the mountains of Spain, and of the bullfighting fiesta in Pamplona. In Hemingway's spare but melodic depictions of these events, I heard the echoes of a haunting popular song from 1994 by beloved French songwriter Francis Cabrel called "La Corrida", wherein he tells the proud and tragic story of a bullfight--from the perspective of the bull.

Much like the bulls who must fight to the death, perhaps these young friends and lovers, having been thrust into the arena of one another's lives, mistakenly and vulnerably waved the red cape of the matador at each other until they had nothing genuine or meaningful left to give. Perhaps Hemingway's gift is a warning to seek a better kind of life. But even if we all experience periods of this restless searching, mercifully, "The Sun Also Rises" on a new day, and a new chance to live better. ( )
  Valparaiso45 | Jul 27, 2022 |
Re-read, some thirty years on. Wonderful new Century Press edition. Some kids get drunk and lout it out, while despoiling rural Spain. It must have been wonderful. ( )
  kcshankd | Jul 13, 2022 |

Published in 1926 to explosive acclaim, The Sun Also Rises stands as perhaps the most impressive first novel ever written by an American writer. A roman à clef about a group of American and English expatriates on an excursion from Paris's Left Bank to Pamplona for the July fiesta and its climactic bull fight, a journey from the center of a civilization spiritually bankrupted by the First World War to a vital, God-haunted world in which faith and honor have yet to lose their currency, the novel captured for the generation that would come to be called "Lost" the spirit of its age, and marked Ernest Hemingway as the preeminent writer of his time
added by Lemeritus | editWorldCat

No amount of analysis can convey the quality of "The Sun Also Rises." It is a truly gripping story, told in a lean, hard, athletic narrative prose that puts more literary English to shame. Mr. Hemingway knows how not only to make words be specific but how to arrange a collection of words which shall betray a great deal more than is to be found in the individual parts. It is magnificent writing, filled with that organic action which gives a compelling picture of character. This novel is unquestionably one of the events of an unusually rich year in literature.

Ernest Hemingwayprimary authorall editionscalculated

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

"You are all a lost generation." -- Gertrude Stein in conversation
"One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth forever... The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to the place where he arose...The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits...All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again." -- Ecclesiastes
This book is for Hadley and John Hadley Nicanor
Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton.
They only want to kill when they're alone.
Published under two titles:
The Sun Also Rises
Fiesta

At the beginning of The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway's first novel, he quotes Gertrude Stein as saying “You are all a lost generation.” He and his peers were soon known as “The Lost Generation,” a nickname still used for these post World War I artists and writers and their modern style.

With the book's publication in 1926, the American expatriate community in Paris tried to identify the originals of the characters. Jake Barnes seemed to bear a close resemblance in some ways to Robert McAlmon and in others to William Bird; Lady Brett Ashley was considered a portrait of Lady Duff Twysden; Robert Cohn a version of Harold Loeb; Mike Campbell a version of Patrick Guthrie; and Bill Gorton patterned after Hemingway's pal Donald Ogden Stewart.

Lady Duff Twysden, an Englishwoman born Mary Smurthwaite, was an aristocrat by marriage to her second husband. Known as a hard drinker, Twysden was popular with the mainly male ex-pat crowd. She embodied the new liberated woman of the 1920s and photos of her at the time show a tall, thin boyish-looking woman with short hair. She was also fond of referring to herself as a “chap."

Lady Brett dominates the novel, even when she's not present.  Jake drinks a lot but Brett drinks more. Brett goes from relationship to relationship. And Brett makes a connection between the major male characters in the novel — Barnes, Cohn, and Romero.

Many people were angered by some of the portrayals. However, the novel won rave reviews. The New York Times said its “hard athletic narrative prose puts more literary English to shame."

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,115,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible