The Intelligence Trap: Why Smart People Make…

The Intelligence Trap: Why Smart People Make Stupid Mistakes - and How to… (edition 2019)

by David Robson (Author), Simon Slater (Narrator), Hodder & Stoughton (Publisher)

Smart people are not only just as prone to making mistakes as everyone else, they may be even more susceptible to them. This is the "intelligence trap," the subject of David Robson's fascinating and provocative book.The Intelligence Trap explores cutting-edge ideas in our understanding of intelligence and expertise, including "strategic ignorance," "meta-forgetfulness," and "functional stupidity." Robson reveals the surprising ways that even the brightest minds and most talented organizations can go wrong--from some of Thomas Edison's worst ideas to failures at NASA, Nokia, and the FBI. And he offers practical advice to avoid mistakes based on the timeless lessons of Benjamin Franklin, Richard Feynman, and Daniel Kahneman.… (more)
Member:mikeoutram
Title:The Intelligence Trap: Why Smart People Make Stupid Mistakes - and How to Make Wiser Decisions
Authors:David Robson (Author)
Other authors:Simon Slater (Narrator), Hodder & Stoughton (Publisher)
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2019)

Work Information

The Intelligence Trap: Why Smart People Make Dumb Mistakes by David Robson

What blinkered Einstein and Edison? Why did Steve Jobs and NASA make lethal errors of judgement? How might environmental disaster and social inequality be averted?

It is time for us to learn a new way of thinking.

The 21st century presents complex problems that require a wiser way of reasoning, one that recognises our current limitations, tolerates ambiguity and uncertainty, balances multiple perspectives, and bridges diverse areas of expertise.
  Langri_Tangpa_Centre | Mar 23, 2021 |
The dumbest thing about the book is the title. Or maybe I was dumb for avoiding the book just based on its title. But eventually I got round to reading it and was surprised to find it wasn't a shallow back-patting, aren't-those-boffins-dumb self-help book. Turned out to be quite an interesting review of biases and fallacies (especially ones where cleverness doesn't appear to help) and strategies employed to mitigate them. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
A simple premise: as our quantified "intelligence" measured by IQ and other standardized tests rises, we tend to gain other deficiencies or blind spots that limit the so-called geniuses of our society and in some cases lead them to dark places we would expect them to be too clever to reach. Reasonably argued and well-sourced, but the outliers seemed to end up doing a lot of the work to support this theory. ( )
  jonerthon | Jun 5, 2020 |

David Robsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Slater, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,162,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible