Dead voices by Katherine Arden

Dead voices (edition 2019)

by Katherine Arden, Renee Dorian (Narrator.)

Series: Small Spaces (2)

Having survived sinister scarecrows and the malevolent "Smiling Man" in Small Spaces, newly minted best friends Ollie, Coco and Brian spend winter break together along with their parents at Mount Hemlock, a down-on-its-heels ski resort run by the Beard family. With its sale to a big, shiny new resort just over the mountain imminent, this is the last season Mount Hemlock will be in operation. Ollie, Coco and Brian make the best of the situation spending their days learning to ski, but at night, Ollie is plagued by what sound like footsteps outside her door. When she gets up to look, there's no one there. Then Ollie and Brian start seeing a strange figure around the resort. After asking about him, they start to suspect the figure is actually a ghost--Gerald, Mr. Beard's former partner, who died the year before after getting lost on the mountain in a snowstorm. The friends realize after the events of Small Spaces, they've been left with the ability to see ghosts and this ghost wants something. They begin to investigate, but know not all ghosts can or should be trusted. Still they follow the clues that Gerald lays out and shortly come to understand Gerald is leading them to his killer. The closer they get, the more they risk joining Gerald in the shadow world. Dead Voicesis a creep-tastic follow-up to Small Spaceswith thrills and chills galore with the captive foreboding of a classic ghost story… (more)
Member:KLHtet
Title:Dead voices
Authors:Katherine Arden
Other authors:Renee Dorian (Narrator.)
Info:[New York, NY] : Listening Library (Audio), 2019.
Tags:to-read

Work Information

Dead Voices by Katherine Arden

Not as scary as the first one, but still good. This one focuses more on Coco, and thus leaves Brian on the wayside (seriously, what did he even do in this book?). There's some frustrating actions that the kids take, but I remind myself that they're middle schoolers and get past it.

I have no problem with Ollie's dad dating again, and found Ollie's mixed feelings about it very realistic. But how long ago did her mom die? It's not important but I was definitely wondering. ( )
  Elna_McIntosh | Sep 29, 2021 |
The Orphanage + The Forbidden Game + The Shining

Coco, Ollie, and Brian’s friendship has grown stronger since their confrontation with The Smiling Man. So much so that Ollie’s dad and Coco’s Mom are taking the trip to stay at a skiing lodge. They get snowed in. While they’re waiting for the snow to let up, they join forces with another guest, a reporter researching the rumored haunting element of the area. What will they find?

Loved this book!! The friendship between Ollie, Coco, and Brian is wonderful and helps enforce to kids that sometimes the best friends you can have are completely opposite of you. I love getting the different pov’s and look forward to seeing Brian’s in part 3. I will say that, although I gave both 5-stars, Dead Voices didn’t creep me out at all. I never knew how scary scarecrows were until I read Small Spaces, but nothing like that here, sadly.

Buy this for yourself or someone looking for a dark middle grade series. Or, if you’re twisted, get it for someone who grew up being taught by nuns (full disclosure: like moi, but they were some of my faves **shrug**)! ( )
  punkypower | Jan 10, 2021 |
I liked this book even better than the first one. Partly, I enjoyed seeing multiple POVs in this book. As I kid, I think I would have seen myself a little in Coco. All three kids are great characters, and if the adults are a little less-well developed, that makes perfect sense. (They're not flat characters, by any stretch. They're just seen through the eyes of the kids, so we see what the kids see.)

I think it would have been just the perfect level of spooky for me when I was a kid. (Though, I was even more of a horror-wimp than I am now. Even this might have been more than I liked.) ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
This audiobook wasn’t as good as the first one. It was just ok.
Renee Dorian is the narrator.

3 stars. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
When I recieved this book I got and read the first book in the series, and this is a great follow-up to Small Spaces. Both books are legitimately spooky middle grade horror novels, with ghosts and actually frightening circumstances that tie in to the events and experiences the main characters are dealing with in their non-spooky everyday lives. I hope the series continues! ( )
  bibliovermis | Feb 19, 2020 |

Katherine Ardenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Saunders, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,531,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible