The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue by Karina…

The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (edition 2020)

by Karina Yan Glaser (Author)

Series: Vanderbeekers (3)

The Vanderbeeker children, ages six to thirteen, race to help save their mother's baking business from closure after it fails an inspection.
Member:Gryzenia
Title:The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue
Authors:Karina Yan Glaser (Author)
Info:Clarion Books (2020), Edition: Illustrated, 368 pages

Work Information

The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue by Karina Yan Glaser

Another installment in the crazy lives of the Vanderbeeker family of 141st Street in Harlem. Glaser's characters and family dynamics are well done. This story focuses on the mother's attempt to start a cookie business at home, which is wrecked by the inspector showing up early at their duplex apartment, where the family's menagerie is overly evident. Trying to cover their mistake, they reschedule the inspection and as they make arrangements to hide their pets, someone is adding animals every night. The incredibly kindhearted nature of the children is so evident that everyone wants to help them. Their road trip to Brooklyn based on Oliver's brilliant idea was great. Disaster is narrowly averted, and the mother gets a wonderful birthday breakfast celebration with an unexpected gift. Especially rewarding for pet lovers. Looking forward to Books 4 and 5. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Another heartwarming Vanderbeeker story!
This middle grade novel continues the Vanderbeeker family adventures along: this installment showcases their Harlem neighborhood in springtime, about a year and a half after the original story.
The rescue in the title refers to more than one problem that the Vanderbeekers come together to solve with determination and LOTS of hiccups along the way. ( )
  deslivres5 | Oct 19, 2020 |
When a disastrous encounter between a city inspector and the Vanderbeeker pets results in Mama losing her license to sell baked goods from home, the Vanderbeeker siblings are determined to right the wrong. But in the meantime, some mysterious person keeps dropping off stray animals on the Vanderbeeker doorstep. Where are these animals coming from?

Another delightful entry in the Vanderbeekers series! The whole series is full of warmth and humor, and I just adore it. You could probably read this one as a stand-alone, but I recommend starting at the beginning. Fans of The Penderwicks, in particular, should take a look at the Vanderbeekers. ( )
  foggidawn | Apr 30, 2020 |
I loved the first 2 books in this series, but I was afraid that I wouldn’t like this third book. It turns out that this might be my favorite book of the first three books. A fourth book, The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found, is expected out in 2020 and I definitely plan to read it as soon as it’s available.

There are many charming black & white illustrations throughout by the author and a great map on the inside covers and floor plans for the family house and treehouse.

This story is so funny. Many times I laughed out loud at the antics of the kids and of the animals.

I also found it incredibly heartwarming.

I love this family, their love from one another, their distinct personalities, all the animals, the messes they get into and the general chaos. I enjoy the adult and teen and child and animal friends and neighbors and community members of the Vanderbeekers, the sibling love, and the resourcefulness and the hard work of the kids, their independence. The Vanderbeeker children are hardworking and well-meaning people. Yes, sometimes they screw up big time but they always do all they possibly can to fix what they have messed up, and the whole story is just so funny and sweet.

I love how this family loves to read. The letter on pages 278-279 is priceless, so wonderful, so hilarious, as are a few other parts farther along in the book. Fans of Anne Shirley of Anne and Green Gables will especially appreciate how the Vanderbeeker kids are also fans.

I did miss some characters and settings from the first two books that have no or just a small place in this book, but new characters were introduced and that mostly made up for that lack.

I love this family and I found this book superbly satisfying and I highly recommend these books to children and all readers who enjoy children’s literature. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Oct 19, 2019 |
That warmhearted Harlem family, the Vanderbeekers, are back in this third delightful novel devoted to their adventures, as the siblings seek to undo the damage they think they have done to their mother's baking business, when an inspector's visit goes horribly wrong. Determined to hide the family's pets - Franz the dog, George Washington the cat, and Paganini the bunny - during the next inspection, in order to win back their mother's license, the Vanderbeekers instead discover that the number of animals under their care grows by leaps and bounds, as a mysterious visitor begins depositing strays, from orphaned kittens to lost chickens, on their back doorstep. With the apartment in need of refreshing, for Mama's big magazine interview, inspector Mr. West coming back for a second visit, Isa practicing for her youth orchestra audition, Oliver concerned with his new tree-house, and all of the siblings worrying about what to do with this unexpected menagerie, it's a chaotic Spring Vacation that no one will ever forget.

Having raced through the first two books about this family - The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street and The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden - I was excited to pick up The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue, which I was lucky enough to obtain ahead of its publication date, in ARC (advanced reading copy) form. Once again, I found myself pulled headlong into this family's many mishaps and adventures, rooting for the loving Vanderbeekers to find a way to set things right. This one is a little longer than the previous two, and as catastrophe piled on catastrophe, I found myself wondering how Glaser would resolve the various crises into which she had plunged her characters. In the end though, the solution to two separate sets of problems proved to be the same thing - setting Mama up in a bakery/cat cafe of her own - providing a very neat and emotionally satisfactory conclusion. I appreciated the fact that all five of the Vanderbeeker children had their moments in this one, and (as always) I loved the animal characters. If anything, the animal love in this one is greatly increased, as our favorite family is inundated with unexpected animal orphans. Recommended to fans of the Vanderbeekers, to young animal lovers, and to anyone looking for heartwarming family stories for the middle grade set. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Aug 31, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

For the Vanderbeeker kids of Harlem’s 141st Street, spring break couldn’t be off to a better start. Isa’s back from band camp, Oliver’s building his first-ever treehouse in the backyard of the brownstone, and Laney, Jess, and Hyacinth are excited to help their mother when she gets the once-in-a-lifetime chance to star in a cooking magazine.

But the Vanderbeekers’ plans go off the rails when an unexpected visit from city officials puts their mother’s bakery in jeopardy. Now they’ll have to band together to save the day before they’re out of business.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,524,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible