About a Boy by Nick Hornby

About a Boy (original 1998; edition 2002)

by Nick Hornby

Member:Nube
Title:About a Boy
Authors:Nick Hornby
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2002), Paperback, 288 pages

About a Boy by Nick Hornby (1998)

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (Maurizio70)
    May We Be Forgiven: A Novel by A. M. Homes (millihelen)
    millihelen: Another book where an incongruous group of people come together to form a buoyant, chaotic family.
    A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers (derelicious)
    Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts (shesinplainview)
    shesinplainview: both are examples of people who make a family in a nontraditional way.
    This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (BeckyJG)

English (118)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (125)
I absolutely loved the film of this novel, watched it many, many times, so thought it time to read the novel and compare. The first half of the film is practically word for word the same; but then the film and the book gradually diverge with different storylines - although the outcome is the same, they all live happily ever after.
Not sure what I'd have thought of the book if I didn't know the film so well...
As things stand I liked the book, but preferred the film. ( )
  Sergeirocks | Jun 15, 2016 |
I don't remember it very well, but I did recommend it to my husband, who normally reads mystery/thrillers and sci-fi, so it must be pretty good. ( )
1 vote Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Even better than the movie -- and I LOVED the movie! ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I've been meaning to read this for a while since I've loved the film. I really enjoy the dynamic of each chapter being told from the point of view of one of the 2 main characters. Maybe the this theme is nothing new an adult who has no clue how to act like one and a kid that just doesn't function like one. I've had my share on this matter, but I really loved how things worked, how they interact with each other, how they make you feel with them and sometimes laugh at them. Another great book by Nick Hornby. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
I did enjoy this, though it's not my usual style. A man in his 30s needs to grow up, while a boy of 12 needs to learn to be a child... great characters, and some humour that almost made me laugh aloud in places. Thought-provoking too, pondering the meaning of life, and the importance of truth, and the nature of friendship.

More bad language than I'm comfortable with, but not as bad as some. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
If it's comedy you want, there's a whole hilarity industry busily supplying the world of American entertainment -- except when it comes to the book business, where heroic exemplars of drollery have been a dwindling species in recent years. Despite the boom in waggish humor on television and in the movies, in the United States the comic novel is virtually a dead genre.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Hal Epsen (Jun 28, 1998)

A follow-up to High Fidelity, British writer Hornby's superb 1996 novel about pop-music obsession, About A Boy (the film rights to which have reportedly been sold for $3 million) is an acerbic, emotionally richer yet no less funny tale. Will (36, single, lonely, in search of a girlfriend and a life) meets Marcus (12, lonely, in search of happiness for himself and his suicidal mother). At first, befriending Marcus is merely an attempt to assuage a guilty conscience brought about by a life of leisure.

Love and thanks to David Evans, Adrienne Maguire, Caroline Dawnay, Virginia Bovell, Abigail Morris, Wendy Carlton, Harry Ritchie and Amanda Posey.
In memory of Liz Knights.
'Have you split up now?'
It was terrible.  Terrible! But driving really fast behind the ambulance was fantastic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141007338, Paperback)

Will Lightman is a Peter Pan for the 1990s. At 36, the terminally hip North Londoner is unmarried, hyper-concerned with his coolness quotient, and blithely living off his father's novelty-song royalties. Will sees himself as entirely lacking in hidden depths--and he's proud of it! The only trouble is, his friends are succumbing to responsibilities and children, and he's increasingly left out in the cold. How can someone brilliantly equipped for meaningless relationships ensure that he'll continue to meet beautiful Julie Christie-like women and ensure that they'll throw him over before things get too profound? A brief encounter with a single mother sets Will off on his new career, that of "serial nice guy." As far as he's concerned--and remember, concern isn't his strong suit--he's the perfect catch for the young mother on the go. After an interlude of sexual bliss, she'll realize that her child isn't ready for a man in their life and Will can ride off into the Highgate sunset, where more damsels apparently await. The only catch is that the best way to meet these women is at single-parent get-togethers. In one of Nick Hornby's many hilarious (and embarrassing) scenes, Will falls into some serious misrepresentation at SPAT ("Single Parents--Alone Together"), passing himself off as a bereft single dad: "There was, he thought, an emotional truth here somewhere, and he could see now that his role-playing had a previously unsuspected artistic element to it. He was acting, yes, but in the noblest, most profound sense of the word."

What interferes with Will's career arc, of course, is reality--in the shape of a 12-year-old boy who is in many ways his polar opposite. For Marcus, cool isn't even a possibility, let alone an issue. For starters, he's a victim at his new school. Things at home are pretty awful, too, since his musical therapist mother seems increasingly in need of therapy herself. All Marcus can do is cobble together information with a mixture of incomprehension, innocence, self-blame, and unfettered clear sight. As fans of Fever Pitch and High Fidelity already know, Hornby's insight into laddishness magically combines the serious and the hilarious. About a Boy continues his singular examination of masculine wish-fulfillment and fear. This time, though, the author lets women and children onto the playing field, forcing his feckless hero to leap over an entirely new--and entirely welcome--set of emotional hurdles.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

A comedy on a bachelor in London who specializes in affairs with single mothers. To improve his chances, he joins a single parents' association and gets a boy to pretend he is his son.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,224,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible