More Than Words Can Say (A Patchwork Family…

More Than Words Can Say (A Patchwork Family Novel Book #2)

by Karen Witemeyer

3519488,107 (4.6)3
After fulfilling a pledge to a dying friend, Zacharias Hamilton is finally free. No family entanglements. No disappointing those around him. Just the quiet bachelor existence he's always craved. Until fate snatches his freedom away when the baker of his favorite breakfast bun is railroaded by the city council. Despite not wanting to get involved, he can't turn a blind eye to her predicament . . . or her adorable dimples. Abigail Kemp needs a man's name on her bakery's deed. A marriage of convenience seems the best solution . . . if it involves a man she can control. That person definitely isn't the stoic lumberman who oozes silent confidence whenever he enters her shop. Control Zacharias Hamilton? She can't even control her pulse when she's around him.When vows are spoken, Abigail's troubles should be over. Yet threats to the bakery worsen, and darker dangers hound her sister. Can she put ever more trust in Zach without losing her dreams of independence?… (more)

More Than Words Can Say by Karen Witemeyer is a wonderful, zany, historical romance that includes faith at its core. While it is helpful to read the preceding book in the series, it is not required to enjoy More Than Words Can Say.
Abigail Kemp and Zacharias Hamilton are well-developed, lovable characters that I quickly found myself rooting for. Witemeyer provides likable secondary characters and a villain who, the more I knew, the more I actually hoped for redemption.
It was nice to read about a heroine who was somewhat less than thin. Unfortunately, the picture on the front of the book does not accurately portray the Abby presented inside.
Secrets and shame, guilt from past hold both Abby and Zach back. I feel shades of Les Mis in my mind when Zach cannot release the past, knowing he would repeat the wrong for its benefits. What a conundrum that causes and a stumbling block in his road to total honesty and a relationship with the Father.
Quotables:
“...a wise woman never burned a bridge she might need to cross at a future date.”
”...revenge had a tendency to warp a person’s mind when allowed to fester for a long period of time.”
“These stuffy male councilmen might want to hold her down, but like a well-made bread dough, she planned to rise to the occasion.”
For a fun, faith-filled romance, all well blended, baked, and deliciously served up; I heartily recommend More than Words Can Say. I was gifted a complimentary copy of the book through NetGalley. This in no way influenced my opinions for which I am solely responsible ( )
  Becky_L | Aug 4, 2019 |
It is 1896 in Honey Grove Texas, and Abigail Kemp has just received word that women cannot own business property. Desperate to keep running the bakery she inherited from her father, she sets out to find a husband and decides that Zachariah Hamilton would be perfect for a marriage of convenience. Zach has his doubts at first but eventually agrees. This may be a marriage of convenience but the two soon grow close. However, each has secrets from the past that haunt them – will those secrets tear their growing relationship apart?

“More than Words Can Say” by Karen Witemeyer is a delightfully done historical romance. While this is the second book in Witemeyer’s Patchwork Family Series, I did not read the first one (“More than Meets the Eye”) and I had no problem following the characters and events in this book (and I plan on reading “More than Meets the Eye”). I love the main characters. Abigail is strong, determined to hold on to her bakery and willing to do whatever it takes in order to do so. Zach is also real as a character – not a man of many words but his actions certainly speak louder than words. While marriage of convenience romances may seem a little trite Witemeyer makes it seem fresh and even believable in this book. This is helped by the fact that both Abigail and Zach are troubled by past events – their pain over these past events was well done and made them stronger as characters. Reading this book to the inevitable conclusion was a joy.

“More than Words Can Say” by Karen Witemeyer is a nicely done historical romance. ( )
  drebbles | Jul 29, 2019 |
"More than Words Can Say" relates the story of a woman who makes a "business arrangement" marriage in order to save her business. Both Abby and her new husband Zach find themselves attracted to each other, and their marriage turns into more than "business."

The setting in a western town provided interest and insight into developing towns and businesses of the American West. The plot moved along quickly and kept my interest throughout. I especially liked both Abby and Zach, who proved to be quite a match for each other, and each feisty in their own right. The Christian message is overt, yet plays an integral role in the story, and is not overdone.

I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy a quick-paced Christian romance in an interesting setting.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Jul 22, 2019 |
More Than Words Can Say is the second novel A Patchwork Family series. While I have not had the opportunity to read More Than Meets the Eye, I found that I was not lost. The author provided details from the first novel which featured Evangeline, Seth and Zach. I am looking forward to reading More Than Meets the Eye which tells the story of Evangeline Hamilton and Logan Fowler. I thought More Than Words Can Say was well-written with steady pacing. Abigail, Zach and Rosie are delightful characters. There are equally pleasing secondary characters like Reuben Sinclair and his wife. Abigail cannot believe an antiquated law requiring a man’s name on the deed will be her downfall. A marriage of convenience is the most logical solution and Abigail drafts up a contract. Abigail wants to make sure she retains control of her bakery once she marries. There are only three “eligible” men in town which consist of quiet, grumpy Zach, Elmer Beekman who has bad breath, and Clarence Ormandy with a domineering mother. Zach is the best option, but he is not willing to settle for a marriage of convenience. He finds Abigail attractive which she finds hard to believe. But Abigail must admit that when she is with Zach, she finds her heart racing and wonders what it would be like to kiss Zach. The road to happiness, though, is bumpy as they each have issues from their past that holds back from having a happy life together. I enjoyed the humor sprinkled throughout the story (I laughed so often while reading More Than Words Can Say). Zach and Abigail are cute together and I could not help but root for them. Abigail’s faith is strong, and she works on getting Zach back on speaking terms with God. Rosalind has a problem that she needs assistance with, and Zach is there to help her. I look forward to reading Rosalind’s story. I can tell that the author did her research for this book. Honey Grove is a real town and Karen Witemeyer brought it alive. I felt I was taken back in time with this charming historical novel. More Than Words Can Say mixes one independent baker with one cantankerous man which produces an entertaining and witty story. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jul 10, 2019 |
After viewing the cover, more than one person asked me if this was an Amish book. It is not. But the heroine, Abigail, is a successful baker and businesswoman, who is fighting to save her bakery while some unknown person seems to be planning her downfall. With Abigail and Zacharias, a lumberman and son of a famous Mississippi River gambler, Karen brings us a unique story full of hope, humor, sweet moments, and lessons learned. The food-lover in me enjoyed all the bakery references and metaphors--and the fact that Abigail isn't your run-of-the-mill "thin and delicate" heroine. The story of Zacharias, the quietest Hamilton and the last to wed, tugs at the heartstrings, especially of readers who know his backstory from page one.

The Romance:
I enjoyed watching these characters learn how to communicate with each other and work through hard times together. The use of love languages brought interesting facets to their relationship, and the heroine's insecurities about her body type and the circumstances of the marriage underscore the attraction with realistic conflict. I liked how Zacharias initiated open communication in their marriage from the start, leading the way to a clearer understanding between them. Prior to their wedding, they discussed everything except their compatibility in matters of faith, which serves as the main conflict in their marriage for the second half of the story. I come from a different background than either of these characters, but seems that's the first thing I would have settled when considering marriage, no matter the circumstances. Overall, Zacharias' quiet protectiveness and Abigail's supportive encouragement turn this marriage of convenience into a love match where both want to honor the other and the Lord, which makes for a great story if you ask me.

The Pace:
The book keeps a pull-you-along pace and was hard to put down once I started reading. I love how Karen gives introspection and character insight without slowing the story too much.

The Faith Element:
With her husband's gentle leadership, Abigail grows from a place of insecurity into a woman who can focus on joyfully helping others, even while facing hard times of her own. She learns to appreciate Zach, even with all his gruff ways. Zacharias has to come to the place where he sees his sin as God sees it, no excuses, and learns to put family responsibility above his own quest for footloose "freedom." As a whole, I enjoyed the way these threads wrapped up and brought cohesion to the story.

The More Factor:
I've heard tell that Abigail's sister, Rosalind, will be featured in her own story, a Harvey House tale in the upcoming novella collection, Serving Up Love (Bethany House Publishers, November 2019). Can't wait to read her story, More than Just a Pretty Face.

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher and have voluntarily provided my honest opinion in this review. ( )
  grnmnml8y | Jul 2, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,828,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible