Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn

Across the Nightingale Floor (edition 2017)

by Lian Hearn (Auteur)

Series: Tales of the Otori (1)

4,3191192,055 (3.91)174
Already a sensation around the world, this first book of the Otori Trilogy is a brilliantly imagined, wholly seductive tale of war, passion, and intrigue, evoking the spirit of medieval Japan. It is the story of a boy who is suddenly plucked from his life in a remote and peaceful village to find himself a pawn in a political scheme filled with treacherous warlords, rivalry and the intensity of first love.… (more)
Member:Lenamusic123
Title:Across the Nightingale Floor
Authors:Lian Hearn (Auteur)
Info:Picador (2017), 304 pages

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn

Cloud of Sparrows by Takashi Matsuoka (AHS-Wolfy)
    AHS-Wolfy: Historical fiction set in Japan with a light touch of fantasy.
    Shogun by James Clavell (leahsimone)
    Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart (wordcauldron)
    Heart of the Ronin (the Ronin Trilogy: Volume One) by Travis Heermann (wordcauldron)
    The Initiate Brother by Sean Russell (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another fantasy set in a feudal Asian society. Epic and satisfying -- be sure to read both The Initiate Brother and Gatherer of Clouds.
    Tiger by Jeff Stone (benfulton)
    benfulton: Tiger is aimed at younger readers, but the less fantastic story.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: A coming of age story, a noble boy with an uncertain future.

English (113)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (118)
I love historical stories and especially oriental ones. This book kept me glued throughout the whole thing ( )
  dookdragon87 | Sep 18, 2021 |
Fantastic book - A solid beginning to what promises to be a must read anthology. ( )
  pamirick | Jun 10, 2021 |
This book really did have a touch of magic in every word, in my opinion. Takeo's loyalty to Otori Shigeru was haunting and so perfectly constructed and his determination and drive to do the right thing kept the story going forwards brilliantly. Kaede's innocence but also her determination and strength of character made her a force to be reckoned with all of her own. It was beautifully written.

In terms of historical accuracy for the setting, I really don't know... but the book has characters with literal magic powers so I'm sure it can be forgiven for any inaccuracies, because it's clearly not set in the world as we understand it anyway.

I'm excited to read the rest of the series. Definitely glad I took the time to listen to this book. ( )
  TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |

TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |
I wanted to like this book, I really did. And the actual story line was fine. It was predictable, but it was fun. Just a good fantasy action book.

But the romance killed it for me, so hard. It was so over-the-top. It was distracting. It made no sense. It was insulting to all parties involved. I'm going to try to read the other two books, and I hope that the teenage hormones calm down a little bit. ( )
  Raiona | Jan 28, 2021 |

Lian Hearnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, KevinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonassen, Fartein DøvleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nakasone, AikoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A prophecy governs their fate. Blood, honour and love rule their hearts.
Cuentan
que la cierva que se aparea en otoño
con el arbusto de lespedeza
engendra un único cervatillo.
Un muchacho solitario
emprende un largo viaje,
con la hierba de almohada.

Manyoshu, vol. IX
N° 1.790

Hiroaki Sato & Burton Watson
The country of the eight islands
for E
My mother used to threaten to tear me into eight pieces if I knocked over the water bucket, or pretended not to hear her calling me to come home as the dusk thickened and the cicadas' shrilling increased.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,192,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible