The Scent of Almonds by Camilla Läckberg

The Scent of Almonds (2013)

by Camilla Läckberg

Four unmissable stories set in a Swedish fishing village. A snowstorm traps a family in a hotel on a tiny island off the coast, and then a body is discovered in the library. -- Marianne is serving up a dangerous concoction at the Widows' Cafe. -- Two sisters witness a murder in a fashion boutique. -- Malin is trapped on a boat with a man she is beginning to fear ...… (more)

English (6)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (21)
This is a particularly unbalanced colleciton of stories. I listened to thi, and at 4.75 hours the main story was a huge proportion of this.comming in at over 3 hours. The other 3 stories were about 20 minutes each. This did not make for an even listening experience.
In the main story, we have the classic locked room mystery, with a death in front of a crowd of witnesses who are then unable to leave the scene, in thgis case being trapped in a hoptel by a snowstorm. One of the guests is Martin Molin, and he is a policeman. I'm not sure what type of policeman, as he seems to go about the investigation that is foisted on him in a particularly amateur way. At times he did seem very young. Some of the questions he seemingly doesn't ask seemed glaring. And, in a house full of motive, he say he can't find one. I could, a great deal of money and a yet to be signed will.
The second story features Martin again but this time he has a detective who seems to know what he is doing. The thrid and forth stories are as much mysterious as detective, as neither is solved, as such.
The writing is OK, and there are some interesting twists on the standard mystery in here. But I'm not sure that the characters grabbed me enough to read more, and the disparate size of the stories in this collection made it an uneven collection. Not a bad read, just not enough to get me comming back for more. ( )
  Helenliz | Jul 2, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this book! Some of these short stories involved the characters from her detective novels and it did come handy having read all of them, although I think, it is possible to start with this one and later read the rest of her thrillers.

The Scent of Almonds and Other Stories are a collection of some very short but beautiful crime fiction. Each of them represents situations of people and their way of thinking. These stories include topics: rage, disrespect, revenge, disappointment, love, survival, self-loving and family relationships. It is interesting how these topics can be interpreted in crime stories and it's quite fun and sad!

I chose to start to read the stories from the back, starting with the very short one and leaving the "Scent of Almonds" as the very last. I found the book format extremely helpful when taking on journey as it was narrow and nearly half the size A5. There are less than 200 pages, excellent when taking public transport, but for longer journeys, you know yourself, you will need something extra. ( )
  ilonita50 | Feb 20, 2018 |
A nice little book in whodunnit style.
All those present at the house were considered suspects in the search for the killer(s). The story itself was nice enough, with likeable and not so nice characters.
The ending I foud disappointing. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Sep 26, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I apologize in advance, I'm still bringing over some of my old reviews and it also involves the entire series. So brace yourself, although I will be spreading the reviews.

The Scent of Almonds is a collection of short stories that surrounds the Patrick Hedström series. I have to admit that although I like the series a lot, I wasn't really impressed with the short stories. I might have to do with the fact that when I read them, I still had to learn to like short stories. As always though, it seemed liked the stories could have been better had there been some more detail (and thus more length) to it.

Part of what I like about the series is that there are large parts where nothing really happens, and it is just the characters eating cinnamon buns (as apparently every Swedish person does constantly) and taking care of the children. I know it sounds weird, but I really like it for a change. Needless to say, this was missing from this book and I did miss it. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
In the first story, The Scent of Almonds, you will find a unique story in that its main character is Martin Molin who I believe is the chief of police in Lackberg's highly successful series of books which follow Detective Patrik Hedstrom and his wife journalist Erika Flack.
In the detective series Molin usually sits back and lets Hedstrom do all the investigative work. This time however, Molin finds himself stranded due to an unrelenting ice storm with the family of his girlfriend Lissette on an island off the mainland when a murder occurs. Molin is confronted with a large pool of suspects each with their own secrets and stories t hide behind which only further hinders Molin's inexperience as a lead detective.
When a second murder occurs Molin finds himself in over his head. Will he be able to solve these mysterious deaths without the more experienced Det. Hedstrom? Does he have what it takes?
A puzzling, edge of your seat mystery, with continual twists and turns similar to the original series, you will find yourself engaged to the final page.
The remaining 3 stories in this book are much shorter in length, but equally engaging. Because of they are shorter in length it makes it difficult to review them without giving away the stories. I will say however, that The Widows' Café was my favorite. ( )
  campingmomma | Feb 4, 2016 |
Er hing sneeuw in de lucht.

Dans ce cluedo. Jouent Agatha et Conan. Qui perd? Camilla.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,768,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible