Purakau: Maori Myths Retold by Maori Writers

by Witi Ihimaera (Editor), Whiti Hereaka (Editor)

Other authors: Jacqueline Carter (Contributor), David Geary (Contributor), Patricia Grace (Contributor), Briar Grace-Smith (Contributor), Whiti Hereaka (Contributor)15 more, Keri Hulme (Contributor), Kelly Joseph (Contributor), Hēmi Kelly (Contributor), Nic Low (Contributor), Tina Makereti (Contributor), Kelly Ana Morey (Contributor), Paula Morris (Contributor), Frazer Rangihuna (Contributor), Renée (Contributor), Robert Sullivan (Contributor), Apirana Taylor (Contributor), Ngahuia Te Awekotuku (Contributor), Clayton Te Kohe (Contributor), Hone Tuwhare (Contributor), Briar Wood (Contributor)

1311,195,875 (4)1
"Ancient M♯ori creation myths, portrayals of larger-than-life heroes and tales of engrossing magical beings have endured through the ages. Some hail back to Hawaiki, some are firmly grounded in New Zealand and its landscape. Through countless generations, the stories have been reshaped and passed on. This new collection presents a wide range of traditional myths that have been retold by some of our best Maori wordsmiths"--Back cover.… (more)

This is a collection of recent fantastic fiction by Māori writers, based on Māori creation myths and legends. There's a wide variety, here, some retelling Māori creation myths, some telling the tales of Māori legendary heroes, both in something like their original context, and some in more modern settings. Still others are the Māori gods and mythological figures interacting with humans in very contemporary settings.

Most of these stories worked very well for me, despite my having little to no prior exposure to Māori mythology and culture. Yes, the mythological personalities and their stories don't have the recognizable familiarity for me that Greek or Celtic or Norse mythological figures and tales do, but that's part of the fun, meeting new stories and personalities, and figuring out what it means or represents.

Other stories, though...

One is a story of a person playing a--computer game? augmented reality game? But he's an unpleasant person, the narrative voice of the game is unpleasant, and nearly everyone he encounters in the course of the game is unpleasant. I'm not into gaming, but other gaming-based stories have nevertheless given me a reason to care what happens to the characters. This one, I finished merely to be sure it wasn't the unfamiliar cultural aspects that were putting me off. It wasn't; these characters were just unpleasant and I didn't care what happened to them.

The last--might have worked a lot better for if I actually had the assumed cultural background in Māori myth and legend. It was presented in an intentionally distancing, academic style, commentary on the story rather than telling the story. It didn't work for me, but I think this was a case of "wrong reader," rather than a failing of the story or the writing. I kept thinking, I bet this is really interesting if you already know the story and can therefore appreciate the commentary...

Overall, though, this is an excellent and enjoyable introductory collection. Recommended.

I received this book as a thank you for having volunteered on CoNZealand, the 2020 World Science Fiction Convention, and am reviewing it voluntarily. ( )
  LisCarey | Jan 18, 2021 |

Te Awekotuku, NgahuiaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Te Kohe, ClaytonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tuwhare, HoneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wood, BriarContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,641,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible